Old 05-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #1  

Default Newbie~finally decided to come back to Atkins!

Hello! Just found this board yesterday and love it! So I thought I should sign up and introduce myself! My name is Kathy, I am 35, live in NY, married with 3 kiddos, 18, 15 and 2 and a half! I did Atkins (successfully) years ago when it was really popular (and also controversial) ... I did pretty good on it, lost 35 pounds and was loving it. But I fell off track and then listened to naysayers and didn't get back on track... subsequently gaining all the weight back. Since then, I've done WW several times with minimal success. (mostly blame myself for lack of time and motivation to exercise regularly) Had my last child in '05 and although I really didn't put on much weight from that, I am still overweight and need to get it off once and for all! So... I finally decided to come back to atkins and so far, I can say that I am very glad I did! I started Monday and yesterday my 18 year old daughter started too! I've already lost 6 pounds and gained more energy! I am very excited to learn that you can use soy flour to make pancakes and things like that! I know that's for after induction but I didn't know things like that years ago when I did Atkins the first time.
My personal goal: I'd like to lose 30 pounds by June 26th when my daughter graduates high school. I'd like to be able to (confidently) wear a dress to her ceremony! (haven't worn a dress since I got married! LOL!) Then we are going on vacation, so I'd be happy with my first goal being met by then.
I have 2 things I really need advice on before I go. 1- the leg cramps... is there anything I can do besides increase water intake and take a potassium sup? (I am already taking a multi vitamin but have been woken up the past 2 days with leg cramps. and my other question is ... sure you have all heard this one, but I hate eggs!!! LOL! Any links/ideas for breakfast other than the standard bacon and eggs?
Happy to have found such a supportive group! Best of luck to all of you!
BrightestBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Kathy!!!

First of all, welcome back to Atkins!! If you previously lost 35 lbs on it...you KNOW it works!! Unfortunately, Atkins has always gotten a bad rap because the average person doesn't understand how or why it works. They think its all about sitting & eating lbs. of bacon, red meat & butter all day. I've had people look at me eating salad & veggies and their jaw drops to the floor as they say "I thought you were doing Atkins???" Its a total lack of education...people are ignorant & they repeat what they hear instead of reading the book & learning for themselves.

You might want to check out this site: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html for what I believe are some of the best low carb recipes on the net. The Induction friendly one's are marked with an * which makes life much easier Since you don't like eggs, I'm sure you'll be able to find several alternatives for breakfast.

It sounds like you're off to a great start! Keep up the good work and you'll get to your goal in no time!!

All the best to you!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 05-08-2008 at 09:37 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #3  

Thanks so much Kim! I appreciate the link, great recipes there! Yeah I know what you mean. I may not even tell anyone what diet (Way Of Life) I'm on because I simply don't want to hear anything but positivity! Besides, I know for a fact that this is healthier! I am thrilled to be eating this way, getting in so many veggies, water and cutting out all that crap I was eating like Mc D's (I know, I know! LOL!) reg. soda, choc. and chips! I had my gall bladder taken out shortly after giving birth to my 2 year old and the doctor did warn me to eat low fat from that point on (bad will power, tried alot) and just about everything I ate would make me "sick." I am happy to say that I have NOT been sick at all since starting atkins!!!!!! WOW! I went 2 years suffering, yeah, at my own hands because I wasn't eating right, but I am so thrilled to not have to bring over the counter meds with me every where I go! So I pray that I keep myself motivated and lose the weight once and for all!
I hope I can keep my daughter on track too, she's 18 and you can't tell them anything at that age! LOL! This morning she was saying how weird it is to her that we can eat butter but not the low fat alternatives! I told her to forget everything you know about dieting! On a good note, I did catch her reading my old atkins book! Yippee!
Thanks for the support and motivation! and by the way Kim, you look fantastic! I can't believe your before and after photos! What an inspiration!
BrightestBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightestBlessings View Post
1- the leg cramps... is there anything I can do besides increase water intake and take a potassium sup? (I am already taking a multi vitamin but have been woken up the past 2 days with leg cramps. and my other question is ... sure you have all heard this one, but I hate eggs!!! LOL! Any links/ideas for breakfast other than the standard bacon and eggs?
Happy to have found such a supportive group! Best of luck to all of you!
cramps... massage massage massage, get your husband to massage your legs if you're pushing water and taking your vitamins. BEFORE bed, not when you wake up with cramps. You don't need to knead the muscle a lot but stripping it out works well. Wrap your hands around the leg (or part of the leg) and stroke up towards the heart, make sure you go over the knee and don't stop right at the knee (that could cause a little fluid build up in the lymph nodes). If a calf cramp wakes you up straighten your leg and pull your toes up toward your nose hard as you can. Contracting the shin muscles will help relax the calf muscles.

My favorite brekkie... BLT Take a couple romaine lettuce leafs, lay a couple strips of bacon on, a little sliced tomato, mayo, salt, pepper, roll it up and munch. Also a favorite lunch, dinner and after work snack.
I also like a couple thick slices of tomato with shredded cheese on top under the broiler for a minute and done. you can add regular or canadian bacon to this if you want. It's not a lot of cheese you need either.

I've been frying up tons of bacon because it keeps really well in the fridge, reheats great and I'm a total bacon addict. Yet another reason I'm loving Atkins.

Gooooood Luck!
MinuetInC is offline   Reply With Quote