Old 04-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #1  
small goals at a time

S/C/G: 281/276/250 (For now)

Height: 5'10"

Default searching for pumpkin bread

This if my first week at this curent diet. Today I was starving between jobs and grabbed a starbucks (Nonfat latte only 130 calories and tons of calcium!) I bought a slice of pumpkin loaf. I thought it was an ok choice, no glaze, made with a gourd.....or at least not tragic. But my one slice of pumpkin bread (per the internet) was a whopping 400 calories!! YIKES!

I am not looking to make my own...I am not defintively low fat or low carb or low cal. I am just looking for an overall better recipie!

Thanks a ton!!
chubbypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

One of the reasons that your Starbucks pumpkin bread is so calorie rich is becuase of the serving size. American stores and restaurants sell items that are often considered 2 or 3 or even 4 servings in a single slice.

For example, a muffin at Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks is big enough to make 2 or even 3 standard servings. Same with the slice of pumpkin bread. It would be a reasonably healthy snack that included a serving of veggies if you ate 1/3 of it.

But, basically the way to make any baked recipe a little leaner is to sub the fats (oil, usually) with applesauce, and to cut back on the sugar in the recipe. You can cut cals significantly with just those two steps.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW220/SW195/CW164/GW160

Height: 5'10"

Starbucks makes some delicious baked products - but they're huge. I still buy them once in a while, but I always share with a friend of break it up into 2 or more servings. Stored in an airtight container, they're still delicious the next day. The trick for me is to break it up and hide the other part right away. Otherwise it will amazingly vanish with the first half.

At Starbucks, the petite vanilla scone is the lowest calorie baked good. (And the tiniest - no shocker there)
charisma classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I got curious (and I'm bored today, in case anyone can't tell! ) and I did a search on the recipe. I found this on a clone recipe website. If you notice, it tells you that a loaf makes 8 thick servings, but most standard recipes tell you that a regular sized loaf of anything should make 16 servings (1/2" slices). Also notice that the recipe has 3/4 cup of oil. 3/4 cup of oil = 1440 calories. Divide that by 8, and you've got 180 calories just from oil in your one slice.

Yowza!!!!

Quote:
A thick slice of moist pumpkin bread Starbucks-style is the perfect companion for your morning cup of joe. Many other pumpkin bread recipes produce sad, squatty loaves - but not this clone. Here's a custom formula that makes enough batter to fill up a medium loaf pan. And when the bread is done, you'll slice the beefy loaf into eight thick square hunks of goodness that perfectly mimic the weight, color and flavor of the real thing.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup vegetable oil

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl
3. Beat eggs, sugars and vanilla together in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed for about 30 seconds. Add pumpkin and oil and mix well.
4. Pour dry ingredients into the wet stuff and mix well with your electric mixer. Pour the batter into a well-greased 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 loaf pan. Bake for 70 minutes or until the top is dark brown and a toothpick stuck into the center of the bread comes out clean.
5. When the bread is cool, remove it from the loaf pan and use a bread knife to slice it into 1-inch thick slices. Makes 8 slices
TIDBITS: This bread freezes perfectly. Simply seal any leftover slices in a zip top bag or wrap them in plastic and pop them into the chiller. To serve, microwave one frozen slice on high for about 45 seconds and it'll taste like it just came out of the oven.
I think I'll be making my own pumpkin bread rather than eating Starbucks - no matter how yummy it is.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I've got a recipe almost identical to this one. I'm going to make it with applesauce in place of the oil, egg whites in place of the 4 eggs, and half splenda and half sugar (not sure about using all splenda when baking). I'll calculate the calories per slice and let you know how it taste. I love pumpkin bread from starbucks and would love to make a much lower calorie version to have.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #6  
Chuggin' along...

If you're looking to bake it yourself, I've made this recipe called "Ribbon Pumpkin Bread" that I found on allrecipes.com. I've served it to a bunch of people and they have no idea it's low fat. However, I find that the batter is not enough to create two layers with the cream cheese inbetween - double the batter part of the recipe, and then a serving is one piece (1/14 of the loaf pan). I double the cinnamon and cloves to make it extra yummy. It freezes well.

Ribbon Pumpkin Bread

SUBMITTED BY: Beth Ask
"'No one will guess they're eating lighter when you serve moist slices of this pretty pumpkin bread with a ribbon of cream cheese inside,' assures field editor Beth Ask, Ulster, Pennsylvania."
PREP TIME 15 Min
COOK TIME 40 Min
READY IN 55 Min
SERVINGS & SCALING
Original recipe yield: 14 servings
US METRIC

About scaling and conversions
INGREDIENTS

* 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
* 2 egg whites
* BATTER:
* 1 cup pumpkin
* 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
* 1 egg
* 2 egg whites
* 1 tablespoon canola oil
* 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/4 cups sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/3 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS

1. For filling, combine the cream cheese, sugar, flour and egg whites in a bowl; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat the pumpkin, applesauce, egg, egg whites and oil. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves; add to pumpkin mixture. Stir in walnuts.
2. Divide half of the batter between two 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans coated with nonstick cooking spray. Spread each with filling; top with remaining batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers.

Nutritional Analysis: One serving (2 slices) equals 107 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote