Old 05-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #1  
I am worth it

Default Is anyone doing South Beach?

I was trying out "eating within reason" and clearly that isn't the plan for me because I don't know what reason is (yet!)..

I was thinking about giving South Beach a try. Has anyone else had success on it? What do you think the pros and cons are to that diet? Recommend joining online or a book?

Thanks ladies
ANewMe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi Newme! The ladies on this part of the forum follow all different kinds of plans. I and a couple of others do South Beach. I love it. I have followed the plan for a year now and lost 60 lbs. It has been very easy to stick to. Different plans work for different people. I think SB is great if you have issues with carbs and sweets, don't want to have to count calories or points, and want to just learn a good, healthy way of eating. It is not very similar to Atkins, from what I've read (never done Atkins myself), and this is a misconception lots of people have. It is also not low carb or low fat, but healthy carb and healthy fats.
Pros for me are that I don't really feel like I am on a diet, and I don't have to prepare different food for me than my family gets. It is just healthy cooking, so that is fine for all of us. Also, the plan does allow use of artificial sweeteners within limits, and I don't like to use them too much. But it is not required and is a personal choice.
Cons for some folks I would say are that it takes planning and does not rely on processed foods or prepared foods, so you will need to cook. I don't consider this a con as I love to cook and prefer to feed my family that way rather than prepared and processed stuff.
There is a section of the forum below that is devoted to SBD, I post both there and here. It's got a great collection of recipes and some stickies with FAQs. There is a new SBD book out in the last couple of weeks. It has updated food lists, etc. - The South Beach Diet Supercharged.
As far as the official pay website, I've never used it or felt I needed to. Other chicks that have belonged or done the trial have said that they feel they can get all the info they need here. I do think it is helpful to read the book so that you have a good understanding of the plan and the reasoning behind it.
Hope this will help in your decision.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 05-07-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

There's a whole forum here at 3FC on South Beach -

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=110

I do believe we have some gals doing South Beach here on the 100lb Forum as well. GirlyGirlSabas for one. Though I think she combines it with calorie counting.

I hear great things about South Beach. Great things. Actually, I think the plan that I follow has very many South Beach concepts to it. Good luck to you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 144.4/137/120

Height: 5

Welcome! I have been on the beach for a year and reached my goal weight of 35 pounds lost after about 6 months. There is a great group of women on here in the south beach forum that can answer all your questions and provide great support. I couldn't have done it without this group.

I highly recommend reading the book and hop over to the beach forum and pull up a towel! Good luck!

Last edited by Pacergal29; 05-07-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Pacergal29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #5  
I am worth it

Thank you ladies! I really appreciate all the responses. I'm going to check out the SB forum here.
ANewMe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

So glad you decided to join us!

Yes, as Rockinrobin said, I do follow Southbeach with calorie counting. It works very well for me...when I'm committed and staying on-plan!
Please keep coming to chat with us. You'll find the 100lb thread to be a great place for support and motivation.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Yes, I agree with Rhonda, the 100-lb thread is great support. I love the chicks on the SB thread and it's a great source of support and info about the plan, but if you have a lot to lose, not everybody there does, so I find I can really relate to the chicks here in the 100-lb. club too. It's a great combo for me.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #8  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

Me too! I have been following the SBD since January and have lost almost 40lbs. I love the plan. You still get bread, pasta, and rice. Just whole grain. I even got my McDonald's lovin' BF(who didn't really need to lose anything) to eat this way and he said he will never stop eating this way. It is a healthy lifestyle and, for me, quite easy to follow! I definitely suggest you read the book! Good luck and let us know how you are doing!
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote