Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/236/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Wall squats

Are wall squats as effective as regular squats? I am having issues with balance and I just can't get the regular squats right I know I am leaning forward to much and I am having pain in my right knee. When I tried the wall squats I felt immediate burning in my thighs so I think I am doing it the right way.
cathbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

I do wall squats a lot because of my knees. I get plenty sore. The biggest problem is getting in position and then getting the dumb bells. It helps to have someone hand them to you.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I do ball squats against the wall, and, oh YEAH. totally Start off with 10 and if you don't feel it the next day, go up to 20, then 30. If that's all too easy, add in dumbbells. I suspect just your body weight can challenge you especially if you don't race....steady down and up with just a bit of a pause at the bottom. I always see this one in books from Jillian Michaels and other trainers as a "go to" move, so it's popular. And Mel can give you even more modification that those of hers I listed here, such as doing them one-legged.

Last edited by sportmom; 04-25-2008 at 06:58 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

I agree with Pat and Fran, the wall squats especially with a pause at the bottom are great. Increasing reps and weight with dumbells and then one-leg variants like Fran suggested will allow enough variation for you to progress kick your own butt for a long time before worrying about another variant.

And they will be more effective than the other squats because you are doing them with proper form. When you and your knees are ready to take another crack at "regular squats," turn around and face that same wall just a few inches away. The wall will solve your leaning forward problem very quickly (or knock you unconcious, one of the two). As Pavel says, "The wall is a good teacher."
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/236/150

Height: 5'5"

Great tips! I know I'm not ready for one leg but it is good to know that I can go to that. Thanks.
cathbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #6  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

I do wall sit isometrics (squat against the wall and hold it in the 90 degree position) and really feel the burn. They've really helped me with my knee issues.
Try for 2 minutes. If that's too easy, go for 3 minutes.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #7  

i couldn't tell from your posts, but are you doing these with an exercise ball? if not you might try that...

put the exercise ball between your back and the wall, keeping it in the lower back/mid back area while standing. put your hands on your hips and squat...the ball will travel along your back. don't lock your knees in either the low or standing position.

the ball provides stability for you, and allows you to adjust your feet. many times, a simple adjustment of the feet farther away or closer to the wall will help to alleviate the knee pain.

after a couple of tries, your balance should be steady enough to hold dumbbells, if you like...
akolang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh yes, I do mine with a ball.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Stupid question alert!
How do you do a wall squat? Without and with a ball? I want to try them but I'm worried I'll do it wrong.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #10  

So, the swim coach made dd and the team do these the other night, WITHOUT a ball . THEY also had to hold their arms extended over their head in the "streamline" posistion, which is basically arms taught, pressing against ears, and crossed at the hands. Punishment for not holding good streamlines after their flipturns.

He made them hold it FOR THREE MINUTES. Of course, being swimmers, they could all do it (remember the image I posted last summer of her legs? Well, here it is again for those who missed it)

Chicky, you stand up against a wall and slide down until your knees are bent at a 90 degree angle. You basically look like a lower case "h". For ball squats, let the ball be your wall and insert it b/w your back and the wall and then slide down. You want the ball in your lower back so you will have to practice a few times to get it in the right position after it moves up.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Thanks sportmom! That is a big help! My legs used to look that toned. Maybe someday!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:25 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/145/115

Height: 5'1"

I did a couple sets of wall squats tonight, and boy did I really feel the burn.....I have a feeling I'll be sore tomorrow
xpressyaself22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:16 AM   #13  
Mel

Quote:
The wall will solve your leaning forward problem very quickly (or knock you unconcious, one of the two). As Pavel says, "The wall is a good teacher."
No kidding! squats facing the wall with your toes just touching the bottom are much hard than regular squats because your form has to be PERFECT! The wall is a great humbler!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #14  

I did the ball squats yesterday and it was the second time since i had increased my (unweighted) reps by 50%. (I went from 10 to 15, so don't anyone get worried about me ) For the first time ever, I could really feel muscle working in my upper outer thigh - it was crazy! I don't want to say a burn bc that sounds like something tearing, no, it was just intensity like something working. Haven't felt it since, not later that nite or at all today. I guess it was just a good workout. I was really trying to focus on going down to a 90 degree angle with the ball, despite how hard that made it to get back up again!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

If you ever have an exercise that you aren't sure how to do, check YouTube.com ... there are a lot of great videos that show you exactly how to do various exercises. There are a couple of sources that I trust and check out frequently.

Here's one of the ones that shows you how to do ball squats ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOs9OYV9CX8

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote