PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

Default sometimes you just want to scream! :(

Ok. so yes - I AM happy that I'm down from where I was last year - and I HAVE been doing well as far as exercising and eating right and doing everything "correctly"...but every once in a while (really, a blut moon) - I want to eat something that I shouldn't...and last night we went to Buffalo Wild Wings. I had a low carb beer (the Michelobe Ultra Amber Bock) - yes, I had a blue cheese burger - but I didn't eat the bun. And I SHARED a basket of buffalo chips with my boyfriend. Now, admittedly - I also had a snickers bar when I left work earlier in the day - but as bad as all that sounds - I don't think I went "overboard". I've gone "overboard" in the past and believe me, this wasn't! lol

Now, I KNOW absolutely none of that was "healthy" I won't make any excuses - but it was ONE MEAL (breakfast/lunch was 'normal' yesterday) - and it was all damn good! lol.

The thing is, though - I go ahead and jump on the scale this morning and I'm UP three pounds!!!!! Now, I know - having this condition I should NOT eat carbs like that (the buffalo chips/fries) - BUT every once in a while I want to "indulge" in my "downfall" (which one of the few I have IS fries...) And, yes, I know it could be any sodium which was in the food last night - but c'mon!!!

And alll week this week I've done my normal routine - and, in fact - even UPPED my exercise...a VERY hard spinning class on monday night (i made it through 50 minutes) - an hour and 15 minute body sculpt class PLUS 25 minutes on the eliptical on Tuesday night - an hour kickboxing class on Wednesday night...I've burned over 2,300 calories this week - and yet ONE meal and I GAIN 3 pounds???

Just frustrated and wanted to vent. I know it'll all come back off soon, but still. Thanks for letting me vent.
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You probably had more sodium in that meal than you are used to. Sodium will cause you to retain water,get right back on plan and those 3 pounds will disappear. Most importantly , do not beat yourself up over this!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Both excess sodium and excess carbs cause me to retain water like mad and three pounds overnight is not out of the question.

It will probably go again almost as quickly as it arrived . . . drink lot's of water for the next day or two and stay light on the salt and the refined carbs.

This too will pass . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #4  

Height: 5'

I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone deserves a meal like that once in a while. If will go crazy and will go over board if you don't. I wouldn't worry about the weight gain either, I think what others said are right. I actually went away for the weekend last weekend. My boyfriend and I won a trip and it included food for two days at a nice restaurant. Of course we couldn't waste it so for two days I ate out for breakfast and dinner. Plus I ate other "bad" things that I had not ate in a while like an icecream, a slice of pizza, and a soft pretzle....now I thought I went WAY overboard this weekend and I got on my scale Sunday night and was up 4 lbs.!!! I was mortified, but I got on it yesterday I am down 6 lbs. I can't imagine I lost 6 lbs. in just a few days. So like the others said maybe I was retaining water for more sodium or something, I don't know....but that one weekend didn't ruin it. And my offical weigh in day is Sunday (which I didn't weight in last Sunday because we were away), but from my last offical weigh in I should be down 2 lbs. Crazy huh?
SassySar81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 8"

One of the other things I've learned around 3FC is that it really isn't unusual to retain some extra water when you increase the intensity of your exercise. I know it's frustrating, but hang in there and it'll all even out again. You're doing GREAT!
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

I read somewhere you should NEVER weigh yourself after a cheat meal, because it's always water weight. They said always wait at least 2 days until you weigh yourself again.

I'm pretty sure you didn't consume an extra 10,500 calories in that meal (3,500 cals per pound)!!! It's all water!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle125 View Post
I read somewhere you should NEVER weigh yourself after a cheat meal, because it's always water weight. They said always wait at least 2 days until you weigh yourself again.

I'm pretty sure you didn't consume an extra 10,500 calories in that meal (3,500 cals per pound)!!! It's all water!

I should know better than to weigh myself after a meal like that - i'm just such a scale hopper! And, again - the meal was fantastic and I don't regret any of it. I needed it...and I enjoyed every last bite.
And I KNOW all these things that everyone's said - I mean, c'mon - i've been doing this for HOW many years now? lol.
It's just so frustrating.
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #8  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychick829 View Post
I should know better than to weigh myself after a meal like that - i'm just such a scale hopper! And, again - the meal was fantastic and I don't regret any of it. I needed it...and I enjoyed every last bite.
And I KNOW all these things that everyone's said - I mean, c'mon - i've been doing this for HOW many years now? lol.
It's just so frustrating.
Ugh. I knowwwwww it's frustrating. I'm a scale hopper too. Occasionally I've gone out drinking with friends - not even really that much over my calories since I planned for it - and next day, voila, up 4lbs. I know this will happen and yet I still get bothered by it, and I still weigh myself. But in the back of your mind you know it will be back down again before you know. Just drink lots of water, detox your system and it'll be like it never even happened. Everyone's entitled to a cheat day/meal/whatever once in a while. Work hard, play hard (but sparingly)
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote