Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #1  

Default Protein-carbs-fats?

In what ratio should I be eating these? I've made up a menu for this week and when I entered the first day into fitday it was 53% carbs, 27% fat, and 20% protein. Is this a good ratio? I feel like it's a little heavy on the carbs and too light on the protein, but I'm so brainwashed by the low carb movement that I don't know what a healthy amount of carbs is anymore.
carabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Those numbers look quite reasonable to me.

I just want to say something about carbs. They are not bad! Refined carbs are what you should avoid or keep to a low amount, but unrefined carbs are good for you. They are digested slower, usually contain more vitamins and minerals, and contain lots of healthy fiber. Your body needs carbs, as well as fat and protein.

Last edited by zenor77; 04-01-2008 at 01:27 AM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I kind of combined grams/percentages for my goals. My goal was 100 grams of protein and 20%-25% healthy fats, I just let the carbs shake out on their own (since I usually only eat whole grains or complex carbohydrates - beans, sweet potatoes).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I successfully lost 35 lbs and reached my goal weight on a diet that is 50% carbs. I ate a less fat and more protein than you, but I think the fat in my diet is too low and I don't recommend it. So long as the carbs you are eating are mostly veggies, fruits, and whole grains, there's nothing wrong with carbs. In fact, carbs are the only kind of energy your brain can use, so they are a critical part of your diet.

I do really limit the amount of processed or refined sugars in my diet and try to make the grains I eat are whole. And I stay away from white foods (white potatoes, white rice, white bread, regular pasta), except for cauliflower and turnips.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'5

I too am curious about this. I started my diet and lost weight quickly and regularly while in a state of carb-phobia. When I started working in whole grain pasta my weight loss slowed waaaaay down. Now I'm back to whatever you can get from fruits and veggies and very occasional pasta.
Bread is still too scary =) no matter how brown and dense it looks the ingrediants will have something suspect to white flour in it.
Can you get enough from the garden? Or maybe should I work in some non scary beans?
molly135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/145

Height: 5' 6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly135 View Post
Bread is still too scary =) no matter how brown and dense it looks the ingrediants will have something suspect to white flour in it.
Have you tried Ezekiel breads? They're made entirely with whole sprouted grains and beans. Higher protein that most breads and still really tasty.

And I give the beans idea a big thumbs up. Legumes, whole grains, and root vegetables have been providing humans with healthy protein and carbs for centuries. (Not at all against meat if it's grass fed and organic, just saying. The plant based options tend to be cheaper and lower fat.)
coldbrightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I've been on the South Beach diet for a while and have decided to stick with the principles of it.. but go off of it. I don't like the fact that they restrict certain types of fruit and veggies just because they're too high in sugar. Watermelon is a no no!! Do you know that each serving has 25% Vit C. and about 11% lycopene and they want to tell me I shouldn't eat it??
Anyhow...sorry just venting...
I've decided to go with more whole foods: playing with my carb, fat and protein ratios too...
I do oatmeal and fruit for breakfast
fruit and veggie for a snack
veggies/salad and then proteins for lunch
another fruit and dairy for snack
salad and proteins and fats for dinner
and then some type of dessert...
I am shying away from refined foods, I'm only eating whole grains and brown rice, I stay away from sugary things. I use Agave Nectar instead of honey, I use Splenda..which I know isn't exactly a whole food...
I think to the south beachers I'll be getting too many carbs, and fats.. but I think its still healthy.
In the past I lost weight doing a diet for myself, I'm going back to that idea and figuring out a plan on my own...
oh and Don't buy south Beach living stuff.... its not south beach friendly...
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

bluetoblue: how long did it take to lose the weight? I was just wondering?
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote