Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 04-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #1  

Default Can phentermine work?

I would just like some opinions on phentermine. This is a diet pill that the Dr. has to prescribe for you. I've read all about it and I'm not sure what to think. Has anyone ever tried this? Is it possible to keep the weight off afterwards?
Any info. is appreciated.

Thanks,
Amy
280/265
amyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Well, there must be a Kmart special or something-I've read 3 threads about this today.
I would say yes, it works. But, is it a permanent solution? Unsure.

My best friend lost 30 lbs in 3 months. She said she had no appetite, so she lost the weight by not eating. That was 2 years ago, and now she has gained all the weight back. She had the typical side effects: insomnia, anxiety, dry mouth, etc. I was tempted to try it, but my heart rate is pretty high anyway and I was afraid of any negative side effects. So now 2 yrs later, she has gained her weight back, and I on the other hand have exercised and ate less and have continued to lose weight.
So, in a nutshell, I say it works (if you can handle the side effects), but it may not be a long term solution.

Best wishes!
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #3  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I just got this yesterday from my DR and today is my first day on it. I can honestly tell you that I am NOT hungry, nor have I been since I took the pill after breakfast (90 min after). I did eat lunch, something small that way I stay nourished. I also plan to keep my low fat high protein diet with this to keep any potential muscle loss at bay. I do get the "dry mouth" I have drank a ton of water today (more than usual and I drink a lot) and I have had to use the facilities every 30-45 minutes but I am not hungry either...

I hve already found that gum helps the dry mouth!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #4  
last time

S/C/G: 228/see ticker/168

Height: 5'8"

Question

i used phentermine for a few months and it definitely worked but... i had to take it really early because if not i wouldnt be able to sleep at night, i had awful dry mouth, another girl that worked with me kept having random bouts of blindness. first her vision got spotty then she went blind for like a full 5-6 minutes. she stopped taking it after that. i also believe that phentermine also made my depression worse once i stopped using it. it def helps u lose weight but i dont know if the side effects are worth it.
bjeweled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I lost weight on it but ended up with major life long blood pressue and dizziness issues because of it. And beware of its drying properties...it can cause MAJOR kidney stones...because they get stuck in the uterer tube because it is dry....believe me...i had to have one surgically removed...that was it for me.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #6  
Releasing the inner hiker

I took this for 2 months a few years ago. Gained everything back over 2 years. I stopped because the side effects were too scary for me. My blood pressure, normally low, was so high I had to monitor it daily. I had spotty vision as well, felt manic "high" all day, and couldn't sleep at night.

Like most pills, it may help you lose weight, but the long term habits still need to be established. At the time, I was working on good habits, but eventually relapsed once off the drug.

I would never take it again. For months afterward, I worried about the damage it did to my heart.

(My doctor prescribed it to me when I went to him for weight-loss help. I didn't go in looking for a drug or prescription. I hate how our health system prescribes drugs first and when that doesn't work, looks elsewhere for alternatives.)
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #7  

I took it many years ago and it worked for a few weeks/months (can't remember how long I took it) but eventually it would not work as well so I felt like I needed more for the same effect (no appetite and full of energy) I stopped taking it and gained all the weight back too -- b/c I was worried about what it might do to my body and I surely didn't want to get addicted to anything like that (not that it is addictive, but just wanted to be safe) - it sure gave me TONS of energy
I wouldn't do it again though
nolachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #8  
Spiritual Being

S/C/G: 155/152/135

Height: 5' 6''

Phentermine is an amphetamine. It is addictive (habit-forming). That is why the experts say you should only take it for 3 - 6 weeks. Sorry, I come from a family that is and has been dealing with the disease of addiction. I take this kind of stuff very seriously. If you can avoid taking this kind of med, please do. Just my humble opinion.
rnntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #9  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Oh yeah, if you're subject to random drug screens at your work, you'll test positive for amphetamines!
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I think what is important to remember, is that ANY fad diet (Cabbage Soup, 48 Hour Hollywood diet, etc.) or any diet "speed" can work for short term.

(And yes, phentermine is essentially legal speed...)

But, is it healthy? No. Will it help you keep the weight off for life? No.

Any fad can work, but do you want your weight loss to be temporary, or permanent? Most people want to keep the weight off. In that case, you have to make lifestyle changes-eating less, eating more healthfully, and exercising more. Forever.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #11  
Determined

S/C/G: 188/ticker/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I am SO glad that I found this thread when I did. I was very close to ordering phentermine online. Now reading all the posts here I have saved myself a bunch of money and probably some major health issues as a result.

Thanks! Just one more reason why I love 3FC!!
BabySteps21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #12  
doing it right this time

S/C/G: 230/192/140

Height: 5'8"

I took it for four weeks. I was bad, and stole in from my mother-in-law who has every prescription under the sun for no reason. I wanted to see if it worked, my cousin lost 60 pounds on it. Within those four weeks, I instantly dropped ten to fifteen pounds.

But I had a different issue with it..... it got me high. I dont know if anyone else had that experience... but I'd have to get up an hour and a half early to take it before getting ready for work. I'd get this ridiculous euphoric feeling that was incompasitating. My boyfriend woke up one morning to me laying face down on the living room floor drooling on myself. It slowly lessened.... but it made me feel like I was floating on a cloud or in the ocean. Way weird. I stopped taking it.
blondebombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #13  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I lost a good 60 pounds on it back in 1997, before they pulled it off the market. This was combined with an exchange diet of 1000 calories per day.

Towards the end, I was eating a serving of baby carrots, a yogurt & half a chicken breast per day & that was it. Wasn't hungry for anything else. The meds needed to be adjusted. I was on 30mg.

Unfortunately I was pulled off it & went from 30mg to 0mg, and gained it all back & then some.

I've seen a cardiologist & don't have any heart issues.

I was going to get high blood pressure no matter what I did due to my kidney disease. The phentermine had little to no effect on that.

I would only recommend it to someone under a dr's supervision.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote