Old 04-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #1  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Default Oops, I did it again.

Okay, I have been trying to lose weight since September now...and it's coming off, just very very slowly, and so far I have lost 14lbs.

My problem is, I comfort eat, and it's not like I eat unhealthy foods, because cereal is my comfort food, it just means on some nights I'll go through four or five unnessecary bowls of cereal.

I've found once I do this, I get even more down on myself and open the chocolate with a 'so what harm will this do, iv already gone over by a few billion calories now'.

How can i kick this habit? its really started to get to me, and I'm really worried I'll put all of my weight on when ideally i want to keep sheeding the lbs... please help!
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Spoz -- I think this is an incredibly common pattern. Are you following any specific plan for your weight loss? Or just trying to cut down? Just curious.

I guess one thing to ask yourself when you reach for a bowl of cereal (I used to have this as my binge food, too) is if you'll feel more comfortable after you eat it. After all, if it's actually comfort food, shouldn't it provide comfort? Because it sounds to me like it's giving guilt, instead.

Also, I no longer keep any yummy cereals around. Pretty much just FiberOne and a box of Kashi. Oh, those late night affairs with Cap'n Crunch...so delicious as he sliced up the roof of my mouth!

Last, you may be thirsty. I have a theory that our ice cream or cereal cravings are really just thirst, since those foods are pretty wet.

Ok, really last this time -- one thing with the comfort eating is to really ask yourself what it is you need. Because food is usually not the answer. There are a zillion books on the subject, you might want to read Geneen Roth, or Bob Greene (that's Oprah's guy).

Good luck!!
S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Oh, and way to go on your loss already!! I just noticed how close we are in stats -- 15 lbs feels like a ton, right??
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 156/142/120

Height: 5'4"

You know, I don't mean to focus on this small part of post, but I have to just rant on cereal.. it really is something I refuse to even keep in the house... because I know I can't eat a bowl and put the box back.. I have and know I will polish off half a box without blinking... major binge food for me because I find it incredibly addictive... and its really not that healthy...at least most of them are not.. a lot of sugar and not enough fiber in most... I used to love Raisin Bran but it always bothered me that they coat the already super sweet raisins with sugar and i realized cereal is for the most part (unless you are really reading labels and buying the good stuff) mostly dessert. And for me, if I'm going to indulge, I'd rather have a brownie! Because I am capable of having A SINGLE brownie, and feeling satiated that I satisfied my sweet tooth and calling it a day, rather then eat a box of cereal chasing the same fix and never getting there.
SugarHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #5  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I agree with lizzy, but I want to add something.

Try finding something else comforting to you than food! How about starting a knitting or sewing project? Or reading a good book? Maybe going for a walk? Think of things that you love to do and replace the food with those things. I had the same problem as you, but this approach REALLY helped me.

I also use an anchor. I am a leukemia survivor and I have one of those red bracelets that I wear every day. Whenever I think about eating out of emotions I just reach down and touch that bracelet and think of how lucky I am to be here and how I need to stay healthy. The bracelet is my anchor. Try finding one of your own and when you look at it or touch it, think about why you want to be healthy and how that is much more important than that second bowl of cereal!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #6  
Blonde Bombshell

S/C/G: 164/133/136

Height: 5'8''

I agree with SugarHabit--if you can't have just one portion of something, don't keep it in the house!!! unless it's spinach or carrots or something I used to have this problem..I was a major binge eater, and I just kept eating more and more because I figured, well I've screwed up for the day, it can't get any worse...but it can, and does! I gained almost 40 lbs being a binge eater! I'd suggest----either eat a piece of gum, drink some water, or BRUSH YOUR TEETH! (I don't know about you, but after I brush my teeth, I don't want to eat anymore!) Or..stock up on 100 calorie packs (if you can control that)...or things like yogurts and fruits..they're sweet, but they won't kill your diet. Like Lizzy said, are you in a weight loss program? Maybe you should join a program.... I'm currently in Weight Watchers, and it keeps me on track and focused because I write down EVERYTHING i eat, instead of taking a bite here, a bit there... (in WW, we call them BLTs--bites, licks, and tastes---they add up!!). Good luck
KatieLeighVOLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/169/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkinglizzy View Post
Last, you may be thirsty. I have a theory that our ice cream or cereal cravings are really just thirst, since those foods are pretty wet.
I've never heard this before and it's never occurred to me before, but I really think you might be on to something here. My husband (who's not at all overweight) has a huge ice cream addiction, really craves it after his evening meal. Tonight we'd run out of ice cream, and he spent the whole night complaining about how thirsty he was despite drinking water with his meal the same as usual. I'm going to mention this to him as it's definitely ringing bells for me. Thanks for posting it!
tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #8  
Getting back on track...

S/C/G: 195.2/see ticker/167

Height: 5' 8.75"

Lizzy & Tabitha---I agree with the thirst idea. I love cold cereal (not a binge food for me, but still), but I only like it when the milk is icy cold...and usually I realize that I am super thirsty, and the cold liquid is what I really want.

Like I said, I love cereal, and some types I've found are good for last minute low-points snacks. For example, we keep Cheerios and Fruity Cheerios at school for kids and staff alike...and when I am really hungry in the afternoons while my student is eating his snack, I can have 1 cup of regular (or 3/4 cup Fruity) Cheerios for 2 pts, and 1/2 cup 1% milk for 1 pt....for 3 pts, I get a little fiber, a little protein, and some vitamins....not as good as a bowl of fruit or raw vegetables, but when my only options are Cheerios or Cheez-its (something the school always seems to have lying around), I'm glad Cheerios are there for me.
leela0730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:37 AM   #9  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Thankyou all so much, I feel alot better about this. I know that I feel terrible before I eat the cereal and usually worse AFTER it. I've heard that to kick the habit of comofrt eating something you have to say no 42 times, so my aim is every time I feel the need to eat a bowl of cereal I'm going to paint, or pick up an apple instead.

Again, thankyou all, I'll take the advice and definately look into those books lizzy!
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote