South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 248/?/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Sensitive "digestive issue"

I began South Beach about 7 weeks ago. I have had IBS issues in the past but once I started this plan they pretty much disappeared. I used to have alot of "loose-ness"--along with bloating and feeling kind of yukky!
BUT...once I started this it went the other way...so I added sugar-free Metamucil which has helped.

BUT...now I am plagued with a hemerrhoid (sp?) issue. I have tried the suppositories without alot of relief. Don't really want to go to the doctor as I had this 2 or 3 years ago about the time I also scheduled a routine colonoscopy. The doctor saw it in the procedure BUT didn't do anything about it, even though I told him it had been bothering. I've had this issue off and on over the years and it seems to stop on it's own. BUT wondering if anyone else has had this and what have they done about it.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Oh dear! I've managed to escape that problem but can just imagine how painful it must be. A doc trip may be in order. In the meantime, keep things "moving" with fiber and water, OK?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #3  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I've never had them, but my ex did when I was pregnant! Other family members have also had them and I hate to say it (cause I avoid doctors myself) but if you continue to have a problem, a visit may be in order. No use suffering if you don't have to.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I've never had that problem either, thank goodness! But I know it helps to drink a lot of water and go easy on the foods that may be causing the problem, such as cheese and milk.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I don't have the haemerroid issue but I have had similar digestive problems to you. Frequent bouts of loose motions pre-diet which has cleared up very quickly when I started a low fat diet only to have difficulties now with getting bunged up. With me I find I get bunged up if I eat too low fat (which I find it easy to do) so its vital I get the balance right. Try increasing your healthy fats for a few days and see if that improves your digestive transit. I aim for about 45g of fat a day - if I get below 30g then I have problems. A small amount of nuts or nut butter helps me enormously.

Kitty
Old 04-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I haven't had digestive issues. My DH has digestive problems. When he has too much dairy, he gets plugged. When we first started P1 a few weeks ago his body wasn't used to the fiber and got plugged and bad gas and pain. He made it through though. He takes softeners when it gets to be more than a couple days.
My suggestion though is go to the Dr. but also, you said it seems to come and go... make a diary of what you eat each day. There may be something in your diet causing the changes. maybe is like Kitty...too little fat, or theresa: too much dairy. Even if you don't think you've changed anything recently you may have changed.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #7  
PCOS will not control me!

S/C/G: 283/241/175

Height: 5'8"

I've also had problems with IBS and colitis(sp?) for years, but this diet has help A LOT! I don't know anything about hemorhoids, but for digestive problems i started taking a probiotic everyday. It has helped a lot. Even if it doesn't help, it won't do any harm. If you don't want to take the pill, I would at least incorporate yogurt into your diet everyday, although the probiotic is much more concentrated. I hope you feel better!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 148/142/120

Height: 5'NOTHING

I had them after having my kids, and the only thing that helped was PrepH cream AND suppositories at the same time.

To prevent them, make sure you have lots of fibrous veggies in your diet as well as water. Many of the fiber drinks/tablets don't really have THAT much fiber in them when you look, and sometimes the fiber isn't the right kind (soluble vs. insoluble) to help your issue.

Try some hummus, broccoli, cauliflower - a little bit of good fiber at every meal to total 30g a day. (so about 5 g with every meal/snack if you do 6 small meals a day).
Closed Thread