Old 04-19-2008, 03:25 AM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default What is your opinion on the BPA in the Nalgene water bottles?

I'm assuming most people know about the 'toxic' chemical BPA that is in a lot of hard plastic containers including some of the Nalgene water bottles. If your bottle has a #7 inside that recycling symbol and the initials PC under it then it has this chemical. I don't know what to think because there is so much conflicting information out there. The plastic industry says one thing, studies say another, governments say stuff, I just don't know what to think. I hate to toss them out because I love my Nalgene bottles!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:48 AM   #2  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

It is hard when you are getting information from the media, the research can say one things that gets twisted a whole lot. Personally I figure there are so many things that can be considered toxic (remember the research about anything baked or fried is carcinogenic?), so much conflicting evidence that I leave it to the experts. Wait and see what FDA etc do or say, wait and see what other kinds of research come to light. Of course I am a scientist, as a rule we tend to always want more data until we are convinced! I do think if I was using baby bottle with BPA I might wonder more about it - not sure what the option really is though other than glass?
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I heard a physician talking about this on the Today show this week. She says to be aware of this. She suggested that folks get a water bottle stainless steel or hard plastic.

She was particularly concerned about this chemical leaching out from baby bottles. Walmart is pulling all baby bottles with this chemical in the plastic.

I often resuse a water bottles. My husband suggested I stop doing this. I am going to read more about it.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #4  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

I agree, I feel very confused.

And probably distrustful but I have to say, I don't completely trust the government and federal health authorities, or research entirely either. Research can be so biased these days - especially when you consider who funds it. The government - the thing about the government is that different governments make different decisions about the same products. Just look at the FDA and Health Canada. Surely, you'd think there was a uniform decision about something but some take more risks than others, which makes me weary.

Anyways, here is a link I thought you guys might appreciate:

http://www.northern-spirit.ca/index.php?cPath=21

It's for SIGG bottles - they are made of one piece aluminum that is coated with something to make the aluminum leak free. I'm sure there is more information available if you wish to read about it.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #5  
it's always something

I've decided to give it up, as well as any plastics other than PET 1 and even then only if I plan to actually recycle it. It's not like it's something I can't live without, and there are plenty of known safe and more planet friendly alternatives out there.

The SIGGs look nice
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #6  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I go stainless steel, baby, all the way!

http://www.kleankanteen.com/
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I try to stay away from plastic as much as I can and I NEVER microwave in plastic. From what I understand, heat leaches the chemicals out of plastic faster. Which means leaving a bottle of water in a hot car is a no no as well.

I have a klean kanteen and I love it! Not only do you not risk the chemicals, but bacteria can't live on stainless steel so it much easier to keep clean. Built NY also make neat neoprene water bottle holders that fit my kanteen perfectly. It stays cold and I can snap it to my jeans or my purse while I'm out. Plus, you are keeping water bottles out of the landfill.

My thoughts on all the conflicting information is this: A. I never completely believe information that comes from the industry set up to benefit the most. B. I don't completely believe the government since they can be bought by said industries. I feel it's necessary to really look carefully at the studies to see whats really going on. C. Why risk it when it's so easy to switch to a stainless steel/coated aluminum bottle. Bottled water wasn't always available and I still see water fountains everywhere.

Last edited by zenor77; 04-19-2008 at 11:43 AM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #8  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I'm transitioning away from most plastics as well. I use SIGG. Love it! I have this one in purple:
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

What's not to believe? Plastics are petroleum products--they CAN'T be good for us. When I treadmill, I take a glass of water with me. When I go walking outdoors (not very often LOL) I take a Tupperware/Rubbermaid kind of bottle.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #10  
Jen

Thanks everyone for their replies. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels like we aren't getting the complete story on this. I've been reading through tons of stuff on the internet and it is so hard to know what is right. What I would really like to know bottom line is that if I hand wash my bottles, don't put hot liquid in them or allow them to get hot in the sun or a hot car is this BPA still leaching out into the water? From one web site I got that there is BPA everywhere, not just on these products but literally everywhere, in the air, municipal water, soil etc etc. It exits your body in 6 hours but since it is everywhere almost everyone has a measurable level in their body (according to this web site). I agree that it is better to be safe than sorry especially as far as the baby bottles go and if I need them I will buy the BPA free ones (hoping that there isn't some other chemical that is so far unknown to be leaching out of the plastic). Looking at the aluminum and stainless steal bottles, boy they are expensive though but I guess this is definately a case of getting what you pay for. They are expensive but safe.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
I go stainless steel, baby, all the way!

http://www.kleankanteen.com/
Thanks for this link, SoulBliss! I've been trying to find a good stainless steel bottle for a while. I ordered one a few minutes ago. If I like it, I'll get the family a bottle each for Christmas.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #12  
Finding My Bliss

You're welcome! They are a bit pricey but they last forever and if one adds up the cost of buying bottled water (combined with the waste of it all) it is such a good choice, really.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240.8/235.2/130

Height: 5'4"

If it has a 7 but not PC under it (actually, it says "other") does that mean it doesn't have this chemical? I just checked the 5-gal bottle I use for my water cooler, and it's a 7 "Other", not a 7 PC.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #14  
Finding My Bliss

I'm not an authority on this, but as far as I have been told, YES. If it isn't listed as polycarbonate (PC) it isn't polycarbonate.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I've not new to this subject, my mom has been warning me about using plastic bottles for a good 5 years. She switched over to glass bottles 13 years ago, and we all got SIGG's for christmas! There has been such bad info out there about plastic for years, and since there are such good alternatives, I figured for me it was time to switch. Do a little research, and figure out what's best for you. Don't let others make this decision for you, this is your health and safety, take some control!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote