Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:32 AM   #1  
Mel

Default Lift and Chat: April 16 - 30, 2008

Happy new thread day! OK, that's lame, but I couldn't think of anything else.

It's definitely spring out there- bird, flowers, bunnies and deer. Oh my!

I did legs lite yesterday and must have done something I haven't done in a while because I'm SORE. Maybe the very wide plies squats?

Cardio this morning was a bit of a slog and it was kind of hard to tell the difference between the intense part of my intervals and the less intense, but it's done. Shoulders at lunch. I was completely confused yesterday about what day it was until I got to the gym.

Baf- I'm so glad you don't have stress fractures! I had shin splints years ago when I started running and was young, dumb, and obstinate enough to run through the pain. It lasted forever! Take it easy on the impact and heal

Lydia- You didn't whine! You were reasonably upset

Off to work- food packed, day planned. I made a big emergency pot of turkey chili that is scorching hot spicy. I've become totally addicted to the stuff on salads for my lunches. The only danger is when I wear white pants to work.

have a good one,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #2  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Mel: Slogging cardio That would be the "fat burning zone" Baff's doc considers optimum right?. Sorry, still can't leave that one alone.

Speaking of quirky food addictions and clean eats. I have the same thing going on with my breakfast and afternoon snack. It's pretty much been the same things for the last three years now. But you know when that time rolls around it's what I'm truly wanting to eat. It would make sense that it is a real craving since we know we can just as easily become addicted to junk food too. Thank goodness though that these foods have the added benefit of making us feel wonderful after they have been eaten too. Kind of like an added boost to our workout sessions. They go hand in hand.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #3  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I'm allergic to slogging cardio. But biking? Outside? Under sunny skies and 70 degree temps? Now, that I can handle. I'll go as soon as I finish up the last touches of this work project. (Work, schmerk -- don't They know it's interfering with my exercise!)

Turkey chili on salad? Sounds good, but odd. Then again, DH likes gravy on his salad. Hmmm, maybe that explains a bit of the pudge he's developed around the middle...

I clearly (a) have nothing to say, and (b) am procrastinating.

Toodles,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 224/221/160

Height: 5' 7"

Hi Ladies
I am new here and am usinf Jari Love workouts about 3-4 times a week. I will be doing her Ripped To The Core today. I love doing weights and especially the upper body. Ihate lunges, but get through them, I can feel my legs tightening and the cellulite seems to ahve dissapeared too!
Parveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #5  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Hi all. Just finished my sixth set of workouts for Stage 1 of NROL4W. I think I will stick with this program through the end of stage 1, take a short break, and go to more of a split routine, so I can lift weights more often.

I've definitely gotten stronger with this program, and upped my weights in everything except the shoulder/arm type work...got a little overzealous with upping the weight at the start and had pain in my rotator cuff area on the left side, so have been playing it safe there...it's almost back to feeling normal now, still can feel that weak spot, but it's not painful and seems to be healing fine and getting stronger.

I could not figure how to get a good workout doing those swiss ball crunches, even with weights, and holding weights "overhead" ceased to be an option once I tweaked my rotator cuff. I switched to weighted crunches lying down on my bed (don't have a bench, and lying on the floor around here just incites all the dogs to come and "help", lol)...anyway, those feel like I'm actually doing some work.

My big news for the week is that I did 8 real pushups last time around! I've been doing as many as I can stand on the floor, then finishing up with 30 degree pushups, so that's definite progress there.

That's all the news from here. I liked the story about the 95 year old lifter. Big bicep for a granny!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi Finally back from 3 weeks of conference, funeral and hiking vacation! I am actually happy to be home in my own bed, and trying to get back to my own routine. I cut my instep quite badly hiking, so have been holding off a lot of standing exercise. It's getting much better, but any pressure from shoes still hurts. Hopefully by the weekend I'll be back to normal.

The hiking in AZ was amazing. I still need to get my photos off my camera, but suffice it to say the weather was warm and sunny, and the scenery beautiful! The Elderhostel group we were with was great, lots of nice folks. All in all a relaxing vacation. Now if someone had just kept up all my work while I was gone......
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #7  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Welcome home Pat! Your foot sounds painful. I hope you will be feeling better by the weekend too. (shudder) Can't imagine a cut there. What would you do for cardio?
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Ha!! My point exactly, even bike pedals put pressure in your instep. I suppose swimming, since it's nearly healed. Really though, it turned a corner yesterday, and I'm sure it'll be good Fri or Sat. I did LOTS of cardio on vacation, so a week of rest shouldn't hurt too badly.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I had a dream the other night that I was doing piles of full push-ups nice & easy - it was so real that later the next day I thought it had really happened - lol!!!

I'm super excited that I found a brand of cottage cheese down here that is good! The costa rican brands lack the creamy part of the cottage cheese - it's just curds & kinda gross. I'm so excited 'cause cottage cheese was an absolute staple for me before we moved & it's been hard replacing it.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:25 AM   #10  
Mel

Welcome back, Pat Hope the foot heals quickly.

Hello LG! congrats on finding cottage cheese. It's an absolute staple in my diet. I think I would have tried putting a little of the curds in the blender with low fat milk, then hand mixing in the remaining curds to get a creamy based type cottage cheese...but now you've got the real thing! How are you feeling these days?

Cardio done, but I'll have to put off lifting until tonight- yuck. I have a much needed conference for my son at school. Junior year and things are not going real well

Gotta run,

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #11  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Parveen, forgot to say "welcome!" I had to google to see what your workout was...looks like fun!

Pat, hope that heals up quickly, so you can get back to it. That would be tough to work around!

LG, I'm glad you found the cottage cheese...I love that, too, though I have to watch I don't over indulge there. LOL about the push-ups dream...I wish! My next goal to work toward will be chin-ups and pull-ups. I've been thinking I should put up a bar at home, so I can work on those.

Mel, good luck with the school thing. Sounds like your ds and my neph have about the same enthusiasm for school these days.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Mmmm, cottage cheese. I had blood drawn this morning, and cottage cheese with blueberries, blackberries and strawberries is what I had for breakfast afterwards. It was realllly good. Of course I was famished - got up at 6:30, at doc's by 8, done by 8:20, at work (where I ate) by 8:45. Wah, I usually eat at 6:30!

News flash - my foot is now 95% better. No bandaid and best of all very little pain with pressure. I'll definitely be working out on the weekend!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all,
I just bought a copy of NRWL and I have a few questions for you experts.
What equipment do I need to do this program @ home?
What I have already:
-exercise ball
-10 lb dumbells
-exercise tubing thing with handles.
....that's it!
I'm thinking I need to buy and bar and some weights, but do I need it right away?

Thanks so much for any info.
-Susan
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #14  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

A barbell with weights would be perfect, but dumbbells you can add weight to would work for a while. I think you'd definitely need more than 10 lb DBs pretty quick, if not immediately.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:16 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Pat - congrats on the foot - that must feel so terrific.

I am now at 12 weeks - another week or so & this darn nausea & exhaustion should start to go & I should have a good 3 month run in the gym! I can't wait, I'm getting a little stir crazy but all I wanna do is sleep!

Mel - I never thought of the blender thing - good idea to keep in the back of my head though - the stores here are not very consistent in the stock they carry. And the "new" cottage cheese is an american brand so it is definitely an indulgence. Who would have ever thought I'd find cottage cheese an indulgence!!! LOL
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote