Old 04-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

Cool Loving uber "helpful" thin people right about now *rolls eyes*

Does anyone else here find it absolutely wonderful how skinny people love to critique diets??
Okay so the cat is out of the bag today at work that I'm*GASP* ON a DiET!!! Suddenly the fact that I'm having a turkey wrap with lots of yummy veggies and cottage cheese is the worst thing for me. Wha? Apparently when the word 'diet' comes into play it means I must be starving myself and not taking in all the good things that the body needs. The fact that I'm having apple cider vinegar and olive oil on my salad rather than full fat ranch is another step in the wrong direction. So I have a crowd of thin women of all ages around me giving all their helpful tidbits of information to get me through this "tough" time. Did I mention that they're all a foot shorter and size 0-6? yep, that helps.

My question is, where are all the tsks and concerned talks when someone's eating a plate of office goodies that include everything from doughnuts to icing covered danishes to sticks of lard? (actually, no lard... but might as well be.)
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #2  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

luckily I don't have anyone talking directly to me about that stuff, if they do I just turn away and ignore them.
But I hear them giving diet advise to each other, and I just roll my eyes and keep quite to myself. I heard someone say that I was starving myself because I had a half a sandwich for lunch, then I turned and corrected them saying, No I had a half a sandwich and soup and coffee and water and fruit, so that is NOT starving myself. Of course this is coming from people who are not looking at what they eat at all. LOL.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #3  
No pain, no gain.

Height: 6'3"

dude I hear ya.

Most of my friends are about 5'2"-5'6" and size 6 and under. I tell them I'm going on a diet and they're all trying to nice and be like "Christine don't you don't need to you're soo skinny" or telling me I'm starving myself.

First of all, yes I need to. You might cry because you're not fitting into your size 0's that day (I actually have had a friend in tears come to me with this dilemma). Well I'm wearing friggen size 18's. And second of all, eating a salad instead of fries is a healthy choice, not starving myself.

I do love my friends, but they are often give misguided advice.
glitterlicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

ha, for me, I usually feel kinda the other way around. I know SO much about health and nutrition that when people talk about it around the office, I try to add my 2 cents, but I almost feel like they'll roll their eyes at the fat girl giving healthy eating advice, ya know?

It's quite hilarious what some people think is healthy. It's sad how many people are really clueless about it all.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Girlicious: see, as a fellow height-endowed woman, I know exactly what you mean. Have you gotten the "you're not big, you're just tall".... riiight... have you seen me naked? cuz I have and I know that my dimples aren't just on my face.

I just find that as I'm trying to lose weight the right way, it means that I live and breathe health and nutrition. I'm by no means an expert but I try to take as much knowledge from the experts as possible. Some people seem to go out of their way to be negative about it.

I think they're just jealous.
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #6  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I so know what you mean!

the other day, I was told that I should start my day off with coffee (which I do anyway) and then eat NOTHING but fruit until lunch time. Oh and that I should not drink any coffee again until AFTER lunch, that it screws up the digestion of the fruit. WTF?????? Seriously. I just nodded politely and said afterwards, "I'm sorry, but that's just not going to work for me, but I appreciate your concern".
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #7  

Hello fellow tall folks:

One bonus -- that's also a negative -- for us is that in my experience, the weight doesn't show up as much as if we were shorter, so the littler folks don't necessary realize what we've got going on. Of course, that doesn't make it any of their business... Hang in there!
TheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #8  
Life shouldn't be on hold

S/C/G: 310/307/150

Height: 5'7''

jillybean720, I totally feel ya there. Practical application seems to be my downfall.
SoyLaBelleza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #9  
SE Asia, baby

S/C/G: 232/141/132

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppingbride View Post
Does anyone else here find it absolutely wonderful how skinny people love to critique diets??
Okay so the cat is out of the bag today at work that I'm*GASP* ON a DiET!!! Suddenly the fact that I'm having a turkey wrap with lots of yummy veggies and cottage cheese is the worst thing for me. Wha? Apparently when the word 'diet' comes into play it means I must be starving myself and not taking in all the good things that the body needs. The fact that I'm having apple cider vinegar and olive oil on my salad rather than full fat ranch is another step in the wrong direction. So I have a crowd of thin women of all ages around me giving all their helpful tidbits of information to get me through this "tough" time. Did I mention that they're all a foot shorter and size 0-6? yep, that helps.

My question is, where are all the tsks and concerned talks when someone's eating a plate of office goodies that include everything from doughnuts to icing covered danishes to sticks of lard? (actually, no lard... but might as well be.)

I hate this too! I've found the best way to avoid this is not to say that evil word () "diet" around people. Usually I just tell people that I'm trying to eat in a healthier way, which is pretty much the same thing just put in a more people-friendly way!
graciegoose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Heh - I'm a size 6...of course I'm a successful dieter who lost 70 lbs and kept it off for 3 years. I moved recently and no one at my new job knows I used to be fat. Would you take my diet advice

I really don't think diet advice should be offered unless ASKED - but - some skinny people might actually work to BE skinny and STAY skinny and might have some useful advice. For example, a little healthy fat in your salad dressing helps your body absorb all the nutrients.

But, if you didn't ask for advice, they should BUTT OUT.

Last edited by Glory87; 04-17-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I avoid comments from the diet police by not telling them I am on a diet.

i
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 187/149/127ish

Height: 5'4"

"have you seen me naked? cuz I have and I know that my dimples aren't just on my face"

preppingbride..you are hilarious! I laughed so hard when I read this.
raiatheplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #13  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

Height: 5'6"

when people do that to me i now they only mean well but they still do not have all the facts like how i am doing it. mainly through portion control and exercise.
mrsaugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #14  
last time

S/C/G: 228/see ticker/168

Height: 5'8"

i think its somewhat jealousy as well. I am not quite 6 foot but I am pretty tall and ppl are always like yr fine u look great. no one believes how much i weigh lol.
ummmm all my pants are wearing thin at the thigh from rubbing together thats not great!
i learned not to say anything just start remarkably looking skinnier lol.
then say" oh it just came off i havent been doing anything in particular"
bjeweled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I'm in the same boat as Glory - I'm now a size 4-6 but have been that way now for a good few years through hard work. I lost about 50 pounds. However no one at my work has any idea that I was quite "chubby" at one point so I doubt they take any notice if and when I give advice.

I have kind of learnt not to actually - if someone asks me directly I'll help them otherwise I'm a lead by example girl. Always have my own lunch, don't eat junk snacks and I get changed at work to go to the gym in the evenings so I prance about in my work out gear for awhile lol. That usually inspires the others to do the "oh...maybe I should join the gym" thing...never happens :P

Last edited by Lyria; 04-17-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote