Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Small Muscle Soreness

DH and I were talking about this so I thought I'd run it past you folks.

When I lifted at home, my soreness was always in big muscles. Quads, gluts ... Our PT Tracey has us on a plan of small to large muscle groups in a full-body workout. DH and I have both noticed that only our smaller muscles ache later.

Do you have any thoughts, reasoning .... ?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #2  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Sounds like her small to ... plan is working!
Are you aware of doing very different range of motion exercises?
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #3  

Ya know I read that response sooo many times and was about to post that I didn't understand the question when BINGO! I do now.

Yes, the gym is all machines which would be different range of motion than the free weights I use at home, right?
Old 04-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #4  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

I wonder if you're getting enough of a workout for the larger muscles, though? (I have no idea, so that's really an honest question, lol)
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #5  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Yup, that's what I meant. Maybe your motions are different/ ?more precise on the machines than when they weights are hand held. I'd love to know what your PT says.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:02 AM   #6  

OK, I'll try to remember to ask her tomorrow evening.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Let me see. Your trainer has taken someone who is experienced in free weights and using compound movements and given them a program built primarily around machine-based, small-muscle isolation movements.

I'd be quite interested in hearing her program design theories as they run counter to everything that I have seen in the past.

Last edited by Depalma; 04-17-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #8  

I have a notion that in our teeny tiny town, the teeny tiny gym has programmes small, medium and large And a pretty green trainer.

But don't worry about that. I'm not as advanced or strong as I'd like people to think. I'm actually glad of the chance to progress thru a real live programme.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
I have a notion that in our teeny tiny town, the teeny tiny gym has programmes small, medium and large And a pretty green trainer.
Yeah, this is what it sounded like. Get 'em on the machines. A circuit of machines is very cost efficient for the facility. I'm not sure whether or not the trainer actually believes in this program or is just following company guidelines.

Quote:
But don't worry about that. I'm not as advanced or strong as I'd like people to think.
Well, you sure had me fooled! It's hard to gauge someone simply on a bunch of internet forum posts, but I still suspect you are stronger than YOU think. Of course, I, by default put nurses on a level somewhere between superheros and angels until proven otherwise.

Quote:
I'm actually glad of the chance to progress thru a real live programme.
In this program, at what point do we get to the progression where they have you doing compound movements with free weights.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #10  

I'm not sure.

I've seen the gym owner working with our PT Tracey and they use free weights. That's probably one level above 'large'.

I would imagine that if you are building up a gym from scratch in a small town 1) cost efficient is very important and 2) odds are most folks will rotate out on a NewYears basis and the chances of them outgrowing your establishment are very slim.
Sad but true?
Old 04-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #11  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Susan, I'm not certain that it is necessary to conquer machine exercises before beginning free weights. Sometimes it can be a nice option to do something different and that's okay. But really, you may want to consider speaking with your PT about working your program around free weights.

There are so many reasons we have recited here before about why the free weights are more efficient but one of the things that we sometimes forget is what happens when we travel and would like to get a workout in a new place. Everyplace has different kinds of equipment all with their own quirks. Free weights are free weights everywhere. If you have a couple of programs arranged around your free weights you can walk into any gym with a decent free weight section and look like a pro.

I also understand the small town thing. But ya know, you could set a trend in your new gym. The more people see you lifting the more it will occur to them that maybe they should walk on over there and pick one up too.

I just know that there is so much core strength and stability to be gained from using free weights. Since you already have some experience with dumb bells I just hate to think of you sitting on a piece of equipment somewhere working in just one plane of motion.

And speaking of small to large muscles. First thing I learned was that in a program you work the large muscles first and then work the smaller muscles. It takes a lot to fatigue the larger muscle groups so you are going to go a lot heavier with those weights. Secondly, when using free weights you will automatically call upon stabilizing muscles to complete the movement. Often enough those small muscles act as stabilizers and really don't need to be isolated in another exercise.

Bottom line: Some strength training is better than none. If you feel more comfortable with the machines at this point then continue. But, if you are just putting your trust in a carbon copy new member program directed by a new trainer then maybe you might want to speak up a little bit. Chances are the new PT might learn something too.

Just a thought.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #12  
Mel

Ditto what Lydia and Depalma said!

Your analysis of the life cycle at a gym is spot on. If you were already lifting with free weights, other than for some variation or working around an injury, I can't think of any good reason to go to machines. Even then, there are always so many alternative. The only client I ever had use machines pretty exclusively was a woman who couldn't hold dumbbells of more than 5 pounds due to repeated carpal tunnel surgeries.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:18 AM   #13  

We use dumbells for hammer curls.

The exercise she gave me for my back, hurts me. I have to think hard, really watch my breathing. Tracey would happily replace it with something more comfortable if I insisted.
Maybe I could get her talking about what other substitutions she'd suggest. Maybe they'd use more free weights.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #14  
No description available.

I'd say about 90% of what my personal trainer has me do uses free weights. I'd recommend asking for more free weights. You are the customer after all, so don't be shy. If there is a reason she prefers machines for you, she'll let you know. And then you can decide if that reason makes sense to you. Or not! Don't be shy about asking!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #15  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I agree with what everyone else has said. I use the weight machines when I'm doing strength training on my own. I see the primary advantages to the machines being that (1) there is built in circuit to them (I don't have to think of an exercise to do, I just go from one machine to the next and do what the machine says) and (2) the machine pretty much keeps my form in line.

But if I'm paying a trainer to help me work out, I don't need either of those advantages. Both of them are things my trainer should be doing for me. So with my trainer, I expect that we'll be using more free weights. He has a few favorite machines that we'll use maybe once every couple of weeks, but otherwise, just about everything we do is free weights, resistance bands, or using my own body for resistance.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote