Old 04-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #1  
Vates

S/C/G: 268/243/150

Height: 5"6

Default mushy food help

Hi i have just started atkins i have been trying to get a handle on induction for about 2 weeks now. I usually do well for about 3 days the give in to something crunchy or chewy like toast or crackers. I am finding it difficult to get used to the texture of food in the atikins diet ( does that make sense?)

do you have any suggestions on how to curb my need for crunch?

Also I am not usually a big meat eater so it kinda hard to get use to. I have been filling up on salads and trying eat more meats. i am wondering can extra salad really hurt? is it just innocent lettuce or do i seriously need to watch it?
Vates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #2  
keep on truckin'

S/C/G: 253/249/190

Height: 6'1

well I dont really know much about Atkins..but what about jerky?
vdaybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #3  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

If you like your veggies raw, celery, peppers and lettuce all give a great "crunch" and you can have them dipped in some low carb caesar or ranch dressing. On induction, 12-14 of your daily NET carb count should come from veggies--so just go by that measure.

When I'm in the mood for something like a potato chip, I have pork rinds. I own a scale, so I measure out a .5-1 oz portion. There are zero carbs, but protein and fat and they satisfy the urge for something crunchy and salty.

Last edited by Azure; 04-15-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

I've found that I don't like mushy veggies either. So, I cook my broccoli, cabbage, green beans until they are barely cooked. Also, celery is good for crunch.

Something else to consider is that this is not true hunger but cravings. Three days isn't enough time for your body to be completely rid of the refined carbs [flour & sugar] that you are used to eating every day. The purpose of induction is to get your body away from running off carbs and into burning the stored fuel you have already. Also, make sure you are getting enough fats. Do not skimp on the fats.

If you don't have the book, get yourself a copy of Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution [DANDR]. Until you have a copy, use the Induction Basics thread posted by JerseyGyrl on this sub-forum to get a better understanding of what you can eat.

Good luck.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:25 PM   #5  
Vates

S/C/G: 268/243/150

Height: 5"6

thanks for the advice i have always been a little scared of pork rinds but maybe i give them a try...
Vates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:18 AM   #6  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

Something that is atkins friendly is fried/baked cheese. I love this stuff and I'm not on Atkins. You just spray a cookie sheet with some pan, pour little thin mounds of parmesan cheese on a cookie sheet and bake it until its crisp. Really super yummy, crunchy and satisfying. I've also done similar things on the stove top with cheddar cheese.
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote