Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

Default Asparagus

How do you cook asparagus? I have some in the fridge and I know you can boil or microwave it, anyone have any bright ideas that are a little out of the norm??
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

My favourite vegetable . . . . . . I usually just boil mine, but you can drizzle it with a little olive oil and roast it too.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

ROAST IT. SOOOOO GOOD!

Take your spears, trim them, and lay in a single layer on a baking sheet (spray the sheet with cooking spray first). Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast at 425 or so for 10-15 minutes, depending on how thick your asparagus is. Oh, it's SO good...crisp tender and such better texture than steamed or boiled.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #4  

Yum. I was looking on recipezaar.com (my fav food website) and there are all sorts of variation for roasted asparagus. I think I will go without the olive oil and just spray with pam, add some spices and do it that way. Sounds good.

Last edited by peachcake; 04-15-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #5  
Don't Take Away My Cheese

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

I agree! I always roast mine. I put a little olive oil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese or sometimes garlic salt before I roast it. Even DH will eat it this way even though he insists it makes his pee smell bad. Like it ever smelled good in the first place.
FriendlysRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:41 PM   #6  

FriendlysRage, that's funny. I guess only a man would complain about something making his pee smell bad. I don't usually make it a point to smell my own pee. Or anyone else's for that matter.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #7  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

Roasted is really good. I sometimes put the asparagus in a pan and add a little water to steam for a little bit and then add a little olive oil and fresh garlic and brown them. So yummy!
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

I concur with the roasting advice -- absolutely delicious. And by the way, you won't have to strain to catch a whiff of your urine if you're part of the population affected by asparagus in that manner! (Did you know only a certain percentage of the population ends up with stinky urine after eating asparagus? Great chit chat for cocktail parties.) If you're affected, it will be totally obvious.
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Also a certain percentage of the population can't smell the odor...so even if you don't notice it, you might be affected anyway...you just won't know it.

It definitely isn't something you have to try to smell. It's a well known phenomenon that affects more than 50% of the population, and you'd notice.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i second the roasting that mandalinn mentioned..that's how i do mine in the cooler months...or do the same and put it on the grill for a few mintues each side. LOVE Grilled asparagus...its the best...but if weather doesn't permit than the over works great too.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #11  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I steamed mine yesterday and threw it in an omelette
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:02 AM   #12  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

I love asparagus. I eat it raw a lot or roasted like many said. One of my favorite dishes is black bean chicken with asparagus. You basically take cubed chicken breasts and stir fry it in some black bean sauce and asparagus and cook until tender. Sometimes I have to add some water to make it less thick. The asparagus is a nice light contrast to the black bean sauce. It's a really low fat, super tasty and flavorful Asian dish.
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:36 AM   #13  
Vates

S/C/G: 268/243/150

Height: 5"6

I love to blanch asparagus! it is crunch cool and yummy

just bring water to a boil, dump the aspargus in for a minute or two then dump the aspargus in an bowl of cold water and lots of ice. Driand the water and ice dry off the asparagus and yummy

i like to then put a little salt and sesames seeds on it
Vates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:10 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Also a certain percentage of the population can't smell the odor...so even if you don't notice it, you might be affected anyway...you just won't know it.

It definitely isn't something you have to try to smell. It's a well known phenomenon that affects more than 50% of the population, and you'd notice.
I had no idea about this! I don't eat asparagus, even a tiny bit, if I'll have to use a public bathroom within the next 36 hours. I remember almost getting a wrap with asparagus in it at the airport, but then thinking, what if I have to use the bathroom on the plane? I can't do that to those poor people!!! But I guess not everyone would even notice! hahaha.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:06 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE roasted asparagus. I just lay it on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle with garlic and onion powder and a bit of salt. I bake it at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, depending on the thickness. SOOOO good.

Lately, I've been roasting it, cutting each spear into thirds, and then putting it into a salad of European greens, baby spinach, sliced red onions, cut up oranges, cooked portabello mushrooms. You can throw in some slivered almonds if you like. I make a simple, easy fat free, low cal dressing of honey mustard, lemon juice, crushed garlic and a little pepper. Delicious!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote