Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

Default Baking with Whole Wheat White

I am trying to bake as much of my family's bread nowadays as I can. While we love traditional "whole wheat", there are some breads we still like to be "white". King Arthur flour has started to carry "whole wheat white" which is made from a different type of wheat than traditionally has been grown in the U.S. Does anyone here have any experience baking with it? Is it indistinguishable from the white I'm used to?

Also, my regular "whole wheat" flour cautions me to keep it cool, if not frozen. I've been told this is because oils in whole wheat can go rancid. Yet, the bag of King Arthur whole wheat white that I just purchased carries no such warning. Does it not matter?

I can't wait until this stuff gets more popular and the price goes down. That 5 lb. bag I bought cost more than the 10 lb. bag of bread flour that I usually buy! At our local equivalent of Whole Foods, it costs TWICE as much (for HALF the quantity)!
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #2  
it's always something

It's all I use, though I don't do much baking. If you are unsure if it will work in your favorite recipe, maybe you could make a blend of white and white whole wheat and see how it goes, then adjust the blend as you go.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #3  

I buy the whole wheat white stuff from King Arthur to make communion bread for church. I store it in the cupboard and haven't had a problem with it going bad. I get mine at Trader Joe's which is a lot cheaper than Whole Paycheck, usually. if you have one near you, check out the flour there!

I cannot really tell he difference between the flours. Like regular whole wheat, i think it makes things a bit more crumbly than traditional white, but aside from that no on will ever know!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:03 AM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I definitely notice a difference between whole wheat, white whole wheat, and white flour. The white whole wheat is still a little heavier than white and the stuff I bake with it comes out darker, but not as dark as when I bake with whole wheat. But I do think that the stuff I've baked with it has a lighter texture than when I use regular whole wheat, but not as light as when I use white flour.

I had no idea Trader Joe's carried it. I'm going to have to look for it at my Trader Joe's because the only other store I've found that carries it is half an hour a way and expensive!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Sometimes my regular grocery has it; sometimes not. But I've had the same experience as Barbara. It's NOT white, but rather a lighter whole wheat. Still good, just don't expect the same results as with white flour.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I've used the white wheat flour and it bakes up just like whole wheat but with a sweeter, less nutty flavor. You can't use it instead of all purpose flour without making modifications. I rarely buy all purpose flour anymore, this is what I use:

Whole Wheat/White Wheat bread flour (or combo) is what I use for yeast bread baking. When making 100% whole wheat yeast baked goods I add vital wheat gluten to the recipe to make the product more "fluffy." I use 2-3T per loaf.

Whole Wheat Pastry flour is what I use for quick breads and cookies. WW pastry flour has a lower protein content and does not make a heavy product like bread flour does.

I do buy all purpose or cake flour for special occasions, but this is quite rare.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

After reading this thread over the weekend, I remembered that I still had some white whole wheat flour in the freezer. I pulled it out and used it for 1/3 of the flour in DH's bread. He insists he cannot eat 100% whole wheat bread, but I figure this is better than 100% white. He hasn't noticed the difference, and it rose/baked about the same as all white. I've been making 95% of my own bread for about 6 months now, and even if it's not all WW, it has no HFCS or other chemicals - I know what's in it! I'm itching to try making English muffins - I just need a weekend morning with no pressing chores/errands and by myself.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I haven't tried the whole wheat white yet. What are some of your ratios for baking goods if any care to share? I'm newer to using whole wheats and grains etc.
Does anyone make quinoa flour?I suppose I'll just have to start experimenting.. but I'm ready and willing to take any suggestions
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #9  

So, I've been using this flour for various things now. Initially, I was thinking of it as bread flour and using it as such with poor results. Then, it dawned on me that it's really all purpose. Doh! The bread was edible, but not the consistency I'd like.

I did use it in banana bread and it was perfectly lovely. So far, that's the only use that's been a great success. I will continue to use it there, I think.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 194/190/150

I'm actually about to make bread with it for the first time. The flour is soaking on the counter. Using this recipe. I'm hoping for good results, but I'm not going to kid myself. My first loaves are probably going to be bricks. I'll try and post a crappy cell phone picture on my blog later, fine or fail.
Stephanie Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessEveryDay View Post
So, I've been using this flour for various things now. Initially, I was thinking of it as bread flour and using it as such with poor results. Then, it dawned on me that it's really all purpose. Doh! The bread was edible, but not the consistency I'd like.

If you are going to use 100% whole wheat or white wheat flour for yeast baking you have to add vital wheat gluten to your recipe. Otherwise the texture is off. This is due to the fact the protein in whole flours is not as readily available as it is in refined flours. Vital wheat gluten is cheap and you don't use much, so I think it's worth it if you make bread a lot.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #12  

And, I forgot to mention that I used this flour in a pastry dough for a savory pie and it was a horrible flop.