Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #1  
SkinnyGina

Height: FiveSix

Default Six Pounds in One Day???

I am about to throw in the towel. Sure I ate like a pig on Sunday but please tell me how it is possible to gain five pounds in one day! I was weighing around 221.00 before sunday and now its Tuesday and I am at 226.00!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Did you eat 21000 calories? I doubt it, lol. That's how many calories is in 6 lbs and unless you ate 21000 calories ontop of what you burned that day... you can't have possibly gained 6 lbs. It's probably alot of water weight so make sure you drink enough water, watch your sodium intake, and get in your workouts!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

Another thing to consider is whether or not it's almost TOM. I gained 7 lbs. in one day because of TOM and I lost it when my "friend" left. :P Don't give up and don't get discouraged.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Don't throw in the towel! One day does not distroy a new healthy life! As lovelypurple said it's highly unlikely you ate that many calories but your body is probably holding onto water from the extra food consumed and is going to take some time to digest it. So just start anew, exercise some today and you'll be fine.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #5  
Ann Marie

S/C/G: 263 (Feb of '06)/236/170

Height: 5' 5"

When you have "one of those days" eating wise, don't get on the scale for at least a week and get right back to what you were doing before, exercise like a madwoman and drink lots of water to flush the system. It happens to us all.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #6  
SkinnyGina

Height: FiveSix

Thanks guys. Yeah I think really the best way to offset my "weight gain" is jus to exercise like crazy.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/see ticker/130

Height: 5"2

gina I gained 4 lbs in one day over the weekend..lost 2 of them this week but I think its a mix of stress and TOM
Old 04-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/169/120

Height: 5'3

Default 6 lbs in one day

hey dont beat yourself up! your weight fluctuates a lot more than people realize in a very short period of time. thats why its best to weigh yourself the same day every week and try to get the circumstances the same. for instance, way long ago in a time far far away, the first time i lost a bunch of weight, i would only weigh myself on Sunday mornings, naked, on the scale in my parents bathroom. that way my body had done its fluctuating, i wasnt counting my clothes in with my body weight, and i wasnt counting my food for that day in my weight. i lost no less than a pound everyweek and sometimes more. i cried the one time i tried to weigh myself every day. i couldnt understand why i was "starving myself" (which i wasnt at all!) and exercising so hard but i would gain weight monday to tuesday and lose by wednesday. it didnt make sense til i stuck to a routine and saw that over a period the end result was always loss!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175/169/120

Height: 5'3

i ramble dont i? heh sorry
Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #10  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Love, it's not uncommon for me to be up 7 or 8 pounds in a day for no good reason! Some lucky people never fluctuate more than a pound or two up or down, and so always know pretty much where they are. Some like us need to track the larger patterns and try to ignore those awful days when it feels like the scale reached up and slapped us in the face. You'll be fine, just keep going
Old 04-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #11  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Carbs and sodium make you retain LOTS of water. Your body always gets more bloated (even if you don't feel that way) after a junk food bender. It's temporary.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/145

Height: 5' 6.5"

Don't forget that it might not just be water but literally the weight of the food you ate. Until it's digested and excreted, if you ate significantly more than you usually do, that food sitting in your stomach/intestines weights a lot more than the amount of body fat the the calories in it will cause you to store. Does that make sense? That's the main reason why if I overeat I generally wait at least a day before I weigh in again (if I can resist, that is ).
Old 05-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Default scales

I don't have the most accurate scale. I can change the outcome by standing on it just a little different. Also, I think it is better to do the damage in one day and move on than to sulk about it and quit.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #14  

Talking exactly the reassurance i needed.

well, i often gain up to ten pounds without explanation... even when it's not TOM. i was feeling ever so discouraged and i'm very happy i found this.

i need to really focus of keeping my eating patterns regulated and not binging.
Closed Thread