Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Default Introduction / New

Hi, I've been wanting to start eating better and lose weight for, well, a long time, weeks turn into months turn into ... well, you know. I don't really believe in dieting, but I definitely believe in health, so this seems like the right forum and you all seem great :-)

I was kinda figuring I'd plan a bit and start next weekend, but I woke up this morning with 15 minutes to get ready for work, and thought I should just start now, ready or not - I have had NO energy and so much inertia, I decided I'd better go with it! Otherwise, a few days will turn into months again.

Well, I'll come back after work (and grocery shopping) - I just wanted to jump in and feed the momentum.

J
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck! Making the decision to do it is sometimes the hardest, but it sounds like you are ready.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Julie -

Hi...

There is NO time like the present to get started. What're you getting at the store? The produce out there is AWESOME right now.

Most people here don't believe in dieting in the classic sense...because you go OFF of diets. We're in it for the long haul...lifetime weight maintenance...so you'll hear a lot more "lifestyle change" talk than short-term stuff.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Hey Julie Welcome aboard! Just make a few changes to how you currently eat and you'll start feeling better!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Bargoo and Glory, thanks so much for the encouragement, it really helps.

Manda, I'm getting chicken and salmon, yogurt and milk, bread and WW pasta, marinara, salsa; plus veggies (spinach, romaine, bell, onions, broccoli, squash, carrots, celery, zucchini) and fruits (bananas, apples, oranges, lemons & limes, plus whatever looks good seasonally).

I know how to eat better, but I tend to overcomplicate it, and then plan endlessly instead of actually doing anything. So I'm going with just a few options for each meal, and simple cooking.

I already have oatmeal, brown and wild rice, granola, black beans, canned tomatoes, frozen blueberries and artichoke hearts, plus coffee and tea and stuff to cook with and make salad dressing with. I think I already have Parmesan, feta, walnut, tomato paste, garlic and ginger - if I'm wrong I guess I'll be stopping by the store again tomorrow :-)

And tomorrow I'll go cut fresh herbs from my sister's backyard (parsley, mint, rosemary, and more I'm sure).
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
And tomorrow I'll go cut fresh herbs from my sister's backyard (parsley, mint, rosemary, and more I'm sure).
Welcome Julie. Glad to have you. I am so jealous you have a place to get fresh herbs!!! Don't forget the fresh basil... mmmmmm. Homemade pesto is the best.. i think basil pesto is my fav but other green work well too!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oh yum! It all sounds fabulous.

Isn't it wonderful that healthy food can be so simple, but so delicious?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote