Old 04-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Compensating for Bad Days

What do you do, if anything, to compensate for a bad day when you ate more than you should have? Do you cut back for a day or more to try and average out the calories? Do you exercise more to try and burn it off? Or do you just go right back to the same plan?

I am trying very hard to minimize "bad" days (when I go over 1500 calories and get a red X). But they happen. I am thinking ahead about a planned night out this week with my son. Every year for his birthday we go to Outback. I looked online at their menu and omg, I cannot believe the calories I used to eat there...a third of a bloomin onion, some bread, a coke or two, a blue cheese chopped salad, a ribeye with a baked potato, and a piece of chesecake = over four THOUSAND calories!! omg. That was my meal. Anyway back to topic... now I go and drink water and choose fish and steamed veggies and half a baked sweet potato but it still usually puts me over my calories. And other stuff, ya know, vacations, birthdays, etc. Most of us have bad days occasionally but I am wondering if you do anything to compensate when you do go over.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:30 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good timing as I've just spent two days with a dear old friend and certainly went off plan. I don't beat myself up over it but just got back on plan this morning with my usual foods, making lower calorie choices and glugging lots of water.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I try and do a mix of things. For instance. Yesterday, I went shopping and I ended up treating myself to 2 starbucks drinks. ( God help me if we ever get one within 10 miles from where I live ) and so then for supper I had 3 oranges instead of something with a lot of calories. Then this morning I went to the gym and walked on the treadmill for 40 minutes, instead of my usual 20 or 30. I was actually pretty surprised by my energy level this am.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I just get back on plan. It's dangerous territory for me to start getting into the punishment mode, which is what it would feel like if I tried to make up for going off plan.

Sometimes if I've had an especially bad few days, I even have to ease back into being on plan, because i'm hungrier on the days following.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I try to allow myself one day a week to go a bit above my preferred calorie range, which is 1400-1600 kcal. Sometimes we just have to eat out as a family due to schedules, birthdays, etc, and I don't want to be the wet blanket.

If I go over inadvertently during the week, yes, I do try to make up for it the next day. As long as my weekly average is around 1500, I figure I'm doing ok.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #6  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I just get back on normal plan. I try to make 'cleaner' choices in food for the next couple of days, but if it is only a few hundred calories, I don't sweat it too much.

If I go waaaay overboard (say on Christmas), I will keep my calories closer to 1200 for a couple days.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I don't believe in punishing myself. Feeling like I messed up in enough punishment for me! I just kick myself in the butt and vow to stay on plan in the future.

If I know I'm going to be going out and will be eating something that may throw me over, I watch earlier in the day. I have my calories broken down through the day... at 1600 a day I eat 300 for breakfast and lunch, 150 for 2 snacks, 600 for dinner and another 100 cal snack. If I know we are going out, I usually can plan a meal there for my 600 calories, but if not then I just do like 200 for breakfast and lunch, 100 for each of my 2 early in the day snacks and skip my evening snack, because if I go out I usually am full enough to not want a later snack anyway.

By the way, I love Outback.. lucky for me the closest one is an hour away, and with the cost of gas it is too far to drive these days.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I might up the exercise for a couple of days if it was a significantly bad day, but I never adjust my food intake on the following days. The last thing I need is to end up hungry and making bad choices because I'm starving. You can have one bad day every once in awhile; it's the week or two cause you've gotten off track that really screws up your weight loss.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:41 PM   #9  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I'm with BattleAx, it's dangerous territory for me to start punishing myself for "bad" eating, so I just do better right away. My old way was to have a crazy lunch or something, and then say 'well the day is shot might as well have pizza hut and dairy queen for dinner' and that would somehow turn into 'well i wont' lose anything this week, so i'll start fresh next week and eat like a starving frat boy this week' ugh so ridiculous but it was what it was.

for my birthday i went out to dinner and had a nice meal, and some birthday cake (one small slice instead of the HUGE corner piece with all the icing like usual LOL) and boooom next morning back on track with cottage cheese & pear slices.... so my vote is for jumping right back on track, no punishing, and maybe another walk or two during the week
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #10  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I've had a couple and usually my response is to be very much on plan, but not to cut calories. I've tried to do that before and it usually just sends me off plan faster. I will try and plan for evenings out, or social things, and not feel too bad if I've gone higher than expected.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:11 AM   #11  
beth

S/C/G: 344.8/see ticker/299

Height: 5'5"

OMG - Trazey - I love your "starving frat boy" comment!!! LOLOLOL!!! I was just like that, too. Someone I used to work with always said "Get back on track the very next meal". Its hardest for me to get over the guilts in my mind - but I'm working on it.

Don't be so hard on yourself! Maybe instead of trying for no red x's, and then beating yourself up when you don't do it, you can try for not having 2 in a row - or not 2 in 1 week.
gr8smyl99 is offline   Reply With Quote