Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #1  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Default I keep forgetting my 're-usable' grocery bags...

I just want to scream when I get into the grocery store and realize I have forgotten my 're-usable' bags.... I love using them, they hold a lot, but I can't get in the habit of bringing them with me..... I have so many... I've left them in my car, on the kitchen counter, on top of my pocketbook, on the doorknob... I've tried everything... Do you use them ? How do you remember to take them with you... It's kinda like the umbrella thing, there are 2 in the car, but your'e in the office, etc. etc.
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I use my bags when I walk to the store, so I store them by my shoe storage basket, right by the door. That way, I see them when I put on my shoes.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

When I unload them, I put them on top of my purse so I can easily see them to grab them and take them to the car (I never drive without my purse - my license is in it. Then, the bags are always in my car when I go to the store!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

I'd like to have a set of reusable bags, but can't find them locally. Where did you all get yours?
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #5  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

My local grocery store sells them, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and other chains have their own most are a dollar or so... lots of on line sites to buy from too....huge selection but they are more pricey... go green....
Old 04-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I just use paper grocery bags (double-bagged they last for years) and a few canvas bags that I've picked up free from various business conferences. They aren't as fun as the reusable bags that you can buy, but they were all free and at least I'm putting them to good use.

I always keep some of the canvas bags in the car. The paper bags we store in a basket by the front door. It took me a couple of months, but at least for the groceries, I've gotten into a routine. Before I leave for the store, I grab the grocery list, the plastic bags that need to be recycled, the paper bags for my groceries, and the coupons.

I used to forget the bags a lot, but now that it's gotten to be part of my routine, I don't forget them anymore--at least not for my weekly grocery store trips. My problem is remembering to use my reusable bags at other stores (like Cost Plus and Target) and for interim trips to the grocery store. The other day I ran into Safeway to buy just a couple of items I had forgotten. I brought my canvas bag into the store, held onto the entire time I shopped, then stood there and held it as I watched the checker put my items into a plastic bag!

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 04-11-2008 at 07:58 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/152/148

Height: 5'7

I also find that it has slowly developed into a habit. I even have my hubby doing it! I leave them in the car and when I unpack my groceries, I fold the canvas bags into one bag and hang it from the garage door doorknob. Then whoever walks out next, has to grab them and put them in the car.

It just takes time. Soon you'll find it to be second nature.
Baskgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #8  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I have a total of ten -- all from one of the local grocery chains -- unless there is someone else in the car with me, I keep them right on the front passenger seat. After I empty them in the house, I set them right beside my purse so they get back into the car the very next time I do.

I really think they are a great thing . . . but there is one drawback . . . since I'm not collecting plastic bags anymore, I've had to buy special bags for my garbage and my kitty litter.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
...and a few canvas bags that I've picked up free from various business conferences.
Now that's a good idea. I must have a dozen of those lying about somewhere...
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

Target and Wal-Mart also have them. Target's fold up in to zipped bag. I ordered some at greenfeet.com a couple of years ago. They are a fishnet style bag that stretches WAY out, which is handy for odd shaped and large items.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

I keep them in my trunk. After I'm done putting groceries away, I put them with my work stuff. Then when I grab my work stuff, I throw the bags in the trunk. If I've forgotten them when I first go into the store (rarer and rarer these days)... I just go back out and get them
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #12  

Well if you are getting them into the car but not the store, maybe make them the first item on your list so you run back out to grab them before you have a cart started.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #13  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

oh... good idea Tommy.... all good ideas...I knew I could count on you guys.... thanks everyone...
Old 04-13-2008, 01:42 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Sweetcaroline -

If it makes you feel any better, I work at a grocery store part time after school and everyone forgets their bags. Just forgive yourself and try again...and remember that you can throw your plastic bags into the recycle bin if you don't use them. Personally, I use them for my garbage.
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:43 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Sorry, double posted because my internet was being slow and I thought that it wasn't working!

Last edited by just_a_dreamy1; 04-13-2008 at 01:50 AM.
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote