Old 04-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #1  
I will do this.

Default I am going crazy!!

Ok, so here is the problem. I am having trouble meeting my calories for the day. IMAGINE THAT.

So, here is what I ate for the day...please tell me what I can add for good calories...or none at all.

B:
1 egg (70)
1 piece toast (45)
1/2 container of WW cream cheese (30)
(add fruit here?)

S: 9 mini rice cakes (70) (maybe add fruit here?)

L:
1 can light tuna in water (150)
Light mayo (20)
2 pieces of bread (90)
9 mini rice cakes (70)

S:
2 bags 100 calorie popcorn (200) (add fruit here?)

D:
1/2 package of scallops (150)
1 cup brown rice (220)
1 cup mushrooms (20)
(Cooked in Pam spray)
1 glass milk ( 90)

S: Apple (40)

Total: 1,265 calories

I asked my trainer about my calories and she said I should be around 1,600...

I know I should have eaten more fruit and veggies today (not a lot of time to cook today).....but even when I do just can't seem to get all the calories I should be. I never though this was a problem for me until I started to eat healthy and now I can't seem to get enough calories.

Any advice would help

-Taylor

Last edited by Taylor86; 04-09-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Fruits & Veggies! I see no green! That should add up to a little bit more, if not 400 calories more.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #3  
I will do this.

Usually there is. I promise...today was an exception. I think you are right about the veggies.. I am not huge on salads because all my favorite dressings are a billion fat grams...so I make some veggies in a frying pan.

Ok, here is another question. What other veggies do you use besides peppers, onion and mushrooms.
(We went to the store the other day to get foods for a recipe and I had to ask some random lady what a scallion was.)

(Side note: I am sorry if I seem needy. I just don't have my mom to call and ask these questions to. Like, "What's a scallion" or "What more calories should I eat"... I am sorry to seem so dependent on you guys...but all I really have in the world is my fiance and my dad...and neither of them know what a scallion is LOL )

Last edited by Taylor86; 04-09-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

If you're making veggies in the frying pan, then maybe sauces/oil usually add up to a few more calories, too.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #5  
Image isn't Character

S/C/G: 278(54%BF)/180(10%)/175(8%)

Height: 5'8"

Faerie, love the new avatar, just throwing that out there. I'd agree with her though Taylor, add some veggies in there! I'm partial to baby spinach, edamame, black beans, carrots, and it goes on and on and on. Just try everything, don't be afraid to try something because you think it might not taste good. I never thought I'd love spinach, now I eat it at least once a day...YEA SPINACH!!! Oooo, Green Giant makes frozen little thingys called like Healthy Weight or summat, quite a tasty treat!!!
griffogrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #6  
I will do this.

Oh yeah...spinach....and edamame....forgot about those. It's interesting how many healthy foods you forgot you liked after eating like crap.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #7  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

yeah, if you are using oil, then that adds calories so you might be eating more than you think!

i think that it'd be great to add some fruit as to stave off scurvy [just kidding].

i am partial to tomatoes and cucumbers..

and i eat two cups of lettuce at lunch and at dinner and i use those salad dressing sprays- they are really low in calorie and the ones by "ken's" actually taste really good! maybe you could put your protein IN a salad and it might make you like it more!

p.s. you could always check out hungrygirl for tips. she has GREAT low cal recipes! i'm like so addicted to tofu shirataki (noodle shaped tofu), with some laughing cow light on top! with some black pepper it tastes soooo close to fettucini alfredo!
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #8  
I will do this.

Dressing spray....woah!

I recently started using that 0 cal butter spray...it only tastes like butter if I close my eyes....but it's ok.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Griffo - Thanks! I made it this morning using Paint. ... when I should have been working. :cough cough:

Taylor - There are some great salad sprays. It's like 10 sprays for 10 calories or something, and it covers a ton more salad surface area. The next time you get a chance, take a look down the salad dressing aisle. There are some tasty flavors.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

How about 1-2 Tablespoons of peanut butter added to your rice cakes?

I would definitely add in some fruit at breakfast and I'm going to jump on the veggie bandwagon here! I always have these fruit/veggies on hand: bananas, apples, oranges, raisins, dried apricots, avocados, carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms, red bell peppers, spinach, frozen peas, frozen corn, & small potatoes. Plus, I buy what is in season as well. Right now I've been eating a lot of roasted asparagus and steamed artichokes.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #11  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

haha.. yeah, they're called "lite accents" by Ken's. i really like the "asian" one and the "honey mustard"
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:19 PM   #12  

Every day I take a baggie of celery and a baggie of baby carrots to munch on at school. We seriously have zero healthy food items (I saw someone stick their hand in the salad bar once... EW), so that is my new fix. I get me some veggies and I don't go hungry! Yaaaaay.
cephalopod gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #13  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor86 View Post
B:
1 egg (70)
1 piece toast (45)
1/2 container of WW cream cheese (30)
(add fruit here?)

S: 9 mini rice cakes (70) (maybe add fruit here?)

L:
1 can light tuna in water (150)
Light mayo (20)
2 pieces of bread (90)
9 mini rice cakes (70)

S:
2 bags 100 calorie popcorn (200) (add fruit here?)

D:
1/2 package of scallops (150)
1 cup brown rice (220)
1 cup mushrooms (20)
(Cooked in Pam spray)
1 glass milk ( 90)

S: Apple (40)

Total: 1,265 calories

I asked my trainer about my calories and she said I should be around 1,600...
I agree with the 'where are the veggies', but a few simple swaps. You're only 335 short here.

Breakfast - an orange (small - 45) +45

Morning Snack - 1oz almonds (164) instead +94

Dinner - 1/2 Tbsp oil for cooking (although Pam spray is not zero calories depending on how much you're using/7 cals per second) +60

Add a salad with some type of dressing to your dinner, I suspect depending on the dressing that could be your remaining calories (134) (Just checked, my usual salad with non-fat dressing runs 70-odd calories.)

I'd check on the calories for that apple. 40 seems quite low. I get 63 cals for a small apple (4oz). I usually weigh the first couple out of a bag of fruit so I have a better feel if something is a small, medium or large piece of fruit.

Last edited by RealCdn; 04-09-2008 at 10:36 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:52 PM   #14  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Besides the fruits and veggies, you could add some more low-fat dairy. 2% Cottage cheese, low-fat yogurt, are good foods. Perhaps a second egg at breakfast.

It's easy to add veggies to your tuna salad - diced celery & onion,shredded carrots, diced peppers. Instead of a salad that needs dressing, consider bite sized pieces of your favorite vegetables to eat raw on the side. Not just carrots or celery, but peppers, snowpeas, radishes, cucumber, broccoli, cherry or grape tomatoes, whatever you like.

Most bread seems to be 90 calories per slice, are these small slices or special low-calorie bread to give you two slices for 90 calories?
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 155/142.6/132

Height: 5'6"

I often run short on time, so for vegetables I buy the mixed veggie bags in the frozen aisle. There are many different mixes out there. Your local grocery store brand probably has a bunch of different kinds of mixes, and Birds Eye brand makes a bunch of interesting mixes I buy when they're on sale. I personally like the ones that have some broccoli and cauliflower in them because I feel fuller. I usually just pour some out into a bowl, defrost in the microwave for 1 or 2 minutes, sprinkle on some combination of garlic salt/regular salt & pepper/lemon pepper/parm cheese and (optional) with a tiny amount of butter or olive oil (1 teaspoon or less). Stick it back in the microwave for about a minute. Toss it up with your spoon and eat! It usually makes a good side item with my dinner to fill me up. Sometimes I just thaw the frozen veggies and add them to my soup mixes or frozen dinners to increase the volume of what I'm eating. Frozen spinach makes a great filler.

Of the fresh veggies, my favorite is eggplant! Again, due to the time issue, I cut a whole one in cubes and microwave in a glass dish until they are soft enough to eat. This can take between 10 and 20 minutes. I season it with the same things I mentioned above, basically whatever I find in my spice cabinet. If I have time, I cut it into slices, spray with cooking spray, sprinkle some salt and red pepper flakes, and broil them in the oven, but this doesn't happen very often for me.

Last edited by orthodiva; 04-09-2008 at 11:24 PM.
orthodiva is offline   Reply With Quote