Old 04-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 Year Olds #110

G'day all,

Nice to see so many posts though there are still a couple we have not heard from for a while, hope everything is OK.

Good to see you Gloria and to hear all is well in your world. Especially good to read Jack is going to a new doctor and he has given some good advice. Jack must have been worried, I cannot imagine him NOT being relaxed!

Glenda happy birthday to Shanna, she would have to be the youngest grandmother I have ever met, she hardly looks like she is 40.
That must have been some hailstorm How scary. The biggest pain is organising repairers etc.

Ann I have 4 websites on the go at the moment, I will be glad when I can finalise some of them.
The quilting website is for a group of ladies that get together to share their quilting skills. They make quilts and every second year they have a huge auction auctioning off all the quilts and the proceeds go to chartity. Last year they raised about $12000! A close friend of mine belongs to this group and is the most brilliant quilter. The groups website is very out of date and that is where I come in.
Yesterday I got together with the coordinator for the website and we have some good ideas. You can see the progress of this website here www.adam.com.au/pdscholz .

Good to hear your toe is much better Trudy Pleased your cold did not hang around for too long.

Just spoke to Alan on Skype, he is happy but looking forward to me getting there. He has also advised me that he is getting paid!!!!
He has paid for his airfare, hotel accommodation and now the apartment. All the paper work has now gone through and all this will be re-embursed plus his pay as well, we should be 'rich' again soon

Have a great weekend all,

Cheers
Maria
flaggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:31 PM   #2  

Trudy thank you for clearing that up about the lemons. The water here in Florida is awful and if you order it in a restaurant you need lemon just to get it down.

Just stopped by to see what is going on. Every one sounds busy as ever. My Mom is leaving next Tuesday and then I will have more time to do other things.

I go back to the doctor next Wednesday and I hope to have some reason for my Iron being low and something to do about it so I won't need further testing. The other test she talked about did not sound fun. And are darn right scary to think about!

I've been in such a funk for so long now that I have managed to gain weight both my doctors are on me about it now. I am 5 pounds over my goal

As soon as Mom is gone I too will be going back to WW meetings. I will have to pay for a while but what the heck it's the only sure way I know to lose those rotten pounds.

Went back to the pool today for the first time in weeks and will be going regularly next week again. I have continued to do Aerobic's down at the club house with the ladies now I just need to keep the not so great food out of my mouth. I am a sweet freak!!!!!!!!! and need to get sugar out of my life again. This will be happening soon as Mom is gone. She is able to have it around and leave it alone I am not. And If it is in my house it is in my mouth!

Hello to all and Happy Birthday Maria.

Karen
Karen L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:40 AM   #3  
suz
suz

S/C/G: 178/150.6/135

Height: 5'3"

good morning all
well my company has left and on tuesday my DH is going away for about 8 to 10 days so I will be on my own This coming Saturday I have tickets for a benefit concert to raise money for an expansion to our medical center in town it should be good then next I am going out to supper with some friends

I have already got a list of jobs I can work on while my DH is gone and I have to look after the green house plants

the weather has been getting milder and a lot of our snow is gone We covered one of our raised yesterday with a top with plastic on it so we can warm the soil and hopefully we can plant some spring salad stuff in about 10 days to 2 weeks

Thats all for now Suz
suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #4  
beachbum

Good Morning Ladies-

I'm currently posting at the Weight Watcher forum on the 3 fat chicks and I thought I 'd come over to your group of 50-60 age bracket.

I'm a 67 year old retiree that moved to Cape Cod 10 years ago.Five years of the 10 I was on the WW and lost 35 pounds but only to regain most when I had a hysterectomy. I've be going back & forth on various WOE and nothing happening as far as the scale is concerned. So now I'm coming back to WW,to see if it will work again like it did in the past.

Trying to stay on the low end of my calorie range,to bring my #'s down before I hit the scales at WW this Thursday.

menu=20pts[1000]
b-1/2 banana,2tsp PB on 1 sl HF bread,1c soy milk[5]
d-fish fillet w)corn on cob,collie & salad w)dress.[4]
sn-1/2 banana W) 1tb PB [3]
supper-Crunchy taco chip turkey[recipe]1c salad w)dress.[7]
des-ww yogurt[1]

My ticker is going up again,I can't do this alone, have to rely on a support group like the WW Meetings.Maybe I'll learn some trick are secret to get down to my final goal.

Hugs BB

Last edited by beach bum; 04-07-2008 at 10:32 AM.
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #5  
Net browser

Welcome Beach Bum and Hi Everybody. I had rejoined WW and lost 2# the first week and tomorrow is my weigh in day. I'm on insulin now for my diabetes and the doctor told me weight loss would be slower. GRRRR.....like it isn't slow enough. I am hoping that by joining now maybe by next winter when I go on holidays I won't look so much like a beached whale. GLORIA I phoned my server about all the emails that I send to you and are being bounced back back to me. They said they would get back to me within 48 hours. It's kind of a nice day today, the snow is melting and I am happy to see it go. Hope you are all doing great. Bye for now.

Last edited by slavika; 04-07-2008 at 02:32 PM.
slavika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #6  
beachbum

Hi Ladies

Thanks for the welcome,I have to get used to WW all over again,as I been away for 5 years,and don't now what the new program is all about. Right now i following the 2000 version of 123 Success. my Point range is 20-24,but I find out the new way as I going to my first WW meeting this Thursday.

menu=21=1050

b-waffle S/f syrup,soy milk[5]
d-Tex-Mex Beans in tortilla wrap[4]salad W)dress.[1]
sn-apple/cheese melt[3]
supper-Boiled Frank on roll,w)salad & dress[4]
des-protein shake[3]day. Wish me luck.

SLAVIKA-Thanks for the welcome,and allowing me to post here. Congrats on your 2 lbs loss,and good luck on todays W-I.My DS has diabetes but have has type 1 and he always watching what he eating. He injects himself 1/2 hrs before each meal.Weight wise I think hes doing ok as I don't see that often as he live in another state.Hope I have good results going to WW also. Will let you know for sure.

Have a great morning

Hugs BB
Old 04-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #7  
suz
suz

Hi Ladies
Welcome beach bum I went to WW twice the first time I lost25 lbs and the second time only lost about 10lbs I am now trying to do the weight lose on my own by portion control of food and doing aerobics and weights 3 times a week and now that the weather is getting nicer walking about 3 1/2 miles a day on the other 4 days I have just started the walking so will not see results yet

Take care Suz
Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #8  

G'day all,

Welcome 'Beach Bum' Nice to have another new face joining us.
I can even relate to where you live! We were in the States for a 3 month holiday last year, met up with a lot of the ladies here. Gloria, who lives in Braintree, took us to Cape Cod where we had a delightful lunch. A lovely spot, loved the main street with some of the very quaint gift shops.

I am a bit like Suz and whilst I think WW is a fantastic organisation, I also am trying to do this now on my own by portion control.

I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as we eat healthily and continue to be aware that a box of chocolate is not a good daily snack to have

We are back to summer again when we are supposed to heading towards winter It is cool at night but quite warm days.
DH is coping with some very hot and humid weather in Malaysia. He says that just about every night there are severe tropical storms which does clear the air somewhat.
He told me all this when he wasn't able to talk me into visiting for more then 10 days! Not looking forward to stay in that sort of climate but it will be good to see him. We have not been apart this long in our 38 years of marriage.

Have a great day all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #9  
beachbum

Arrow

Hi Ladies

Thanks for the welcomes. Happy to be here,as I will need lots of support,as I haven't been to WW in over 5 years.

my menu today-21=1050
b-French toast[3]1.2 c soy milk[2]===6pts.
d-Turkey rice burgers[6]on 1c steamed broccoli W)marg.[1]===7pts.
sn-ww yogurt[1]
supper-Hummus on WW Pita[2]
des-apple W)PB & crushed cereal[4]

SUZ-I hope that I do well this time around.Once I have the up to date books,I will be able to work the program better. MY Thursday Meeting starts at 10 AM until 11, going to bring a meal replacement bar,as I'm not having breakfast before the W-I. Love your name,I called my DD SUZANNE also,it such a beautiful feminine name,and thanks again for the welcome.

MARIA-Thanks for the friendly welcome also. I love living by the ocean,as we lived in Long Island all my live and when we retired the ocean was the only option.It must be hard not being with you DH Is he working in a different area where you live. I tried to work with my old WW books but I thing I need the support of a meeting for a while anyway until I know the new flex & core programs better.

Have a great day

Hugs BB
Old 04-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #10  
Member Florida Chick

Welcome BB- I haven't been here for a few days. I am another Floridian. Have been out on Cape Cod, and my DH is a graduate of the Mass. Maritime school. Hope you have a good start for your first weigh-in.

I too am a lifetime member of WW and right now am doing my own thing, but following the WW program most of the time.I a not losing, but staying the same right now. I have to get back to some more exercise, walking and getting to our pool more often.

We had a great surprise this week. Sunday a.m. got a message from DD asking me to call her cell phone. I did and she wanted to know if she could come down to help celebrate DH birthday on Monday. Of course I said, 'sure' and when do we meet your plane. And her answer was oh we are in Leesburg at Mike's Mom's house, been there since
Saturday, and we will come for lunch Mon. and take Poppa out for his birthday. So we had a great time, and we girls had a wonderful day of shopping, a very nice dinner, and then they had to leave today as they had booked themselves into a Disney special package. And of course they have to be back to work next Monday. it was Spring break for Holly. So it was a wonderful surprise.

Karen: I hope your Dr. appt. will find out about the iron problem. I can't remember if I told you about Phil, but he takes an iron infusion once a month. They can find no reason for his low iron, other than he just doesn't absorb any iron from his food, and iron pills don't work either. His other blood levels are okay. So I hope your answer will be something as simple as his has been. i know then put him through a lot of tests, but not invasive, but just trying to determine why.

I have every faith that you will get back to your goal. I know what you mean about sweets. It is hard to leave them alone. And DH has a separate shelf for his candy.

Hi Slavika: Nice to hear from you. And on the weight loss. As long as the numbers go down, all is well. I have a hard time remembering that the weight didn't come on overnight, and so it isn't going to go that way either. And sadly I find that I cannot lose weight like I did a few years back.

Suz: Sound like your spring garden is making progress. You will have plenty to keep you busy while DH is away. And one thing I have always found when i am alone, I can keep to my program so much easier, since I don't have to prepare anything except for myself.

Maria: Malaysia sounds hot and steamy. I think you had a lot of that all during your summer. I'm sure you are looking forward to your winter days when things will be cooler. I will check the quiters web page. I want to start another quilt. I have some ideas about what I want to do. I hope I am not being too ambitious for myself.

We had a bad rainstorm over the weekend. We had about 5 inches fall around here. It hasn't completely broken our drought, but sure has helped. And I'm sure it will help bring up our water table.

Hi to everyone Trudy, Glenda, Gloria, Peggy Hope you all arae having good days. We are soon off to our church's Wed. night meal. I'll be back again to do better on catching up on all the posts I have missed.

Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #11  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi everyone..

Nice to have you join us BB always good to have another person on this never ending road of weight loss. I am another Canadian from Winnipeg. Since Nov/07 I have lost 10 lbs on my own. I did go to WW many times in the past, but decided to watch what I eat on my own this time. Since March I have stayed the same. I would have to lose another 5 lbs to get to my WW goal weight. Not too concerned about that, just happy to be down the l0 lbs.
Karen I always seem to have a very hard time digesting red meat, so I don't eat it too much. I take a Multi Vitamin to supplement what I am missing. Have you ever tried that? I hope your doctor is able to figure out what is up and you start to feel better soon.
Maria Malasyia doesn't sound too inviting. I would hate the climate, but would hate being separated from my DH for so long.
Ann When our weight is going up I think we turn a blind eye to it and think we are just fine if we don't gain anymore. Of course, the weight keeps creeping up anyway. It takes so long for it to drop again. It never seems to get any better.
Slavika I am sure you will do well at WW. You always make so many friends and enjoy the meetings. It is too bad that the Insulin will make things harder for you. Don't give up!

Hi Gloria, Peggy, Suz and Glenda... what are you gals up to?

My SIL is in Portland Oregon for a few days, so we took our DD and the kiddies out for din dins and went back to her place after. Every time we see those little ones, it seems like they have grown and learned so much more. We had a great evening.

Time to call it a day... Talk to you soon...
Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #12  
beachbum

Good Afternoon Ladies

Had a full morning,staring with my first meeting at WW,than shopping for groceries,preparing dinner and than Leo & I went down to the beach. I got my 20 mins of walking W) hand weights. done.Leo remained in the car listening to talk radio.The beach was all fogged in and you we're lucky to see 10ft ahead of you.

Well I like WW, good leader & a very friendly group of people. Everything is quite new comparing to when I was there 7 years ago. Only thing I concerned with is my score on the little quiz led me to eating 20pts[1000 cal] per day. My doc gave me a range of 22-24pts which is 1100-1200 cals. Have to ask him if he would write a note bringing me up calorie wise.

menu=20pts[1000]

b-1 c WW yogurt[1]
d-l c turkey w)pasta and veggie[7]salad,dress[1]
sn-1c WW yogurt[1]
supper-Meatball hero[7]salad,dress[1]=8
des-1c strawberries & cool whip[2]

64 oz water-------------------40M exercise

==============================================

ANN-Welcome back from Fla. I a few friends that go down during the winter months. Some of them did complain that it was colder down there than usual.We love living up on Cape Cod summer as well as winter.We're here all year round.Thanks I really had a wonderful time,as the leader & group are very friendly. I'm really amazed how knowledgeable the leader is,going to learn a lot from her. The last leader I had 5 years ago,was a song & dance number, that the main reason I left WW.

TRUDY-I tried to do it myself after I left,but it didn't work for me,so than I went low carbing for while and to the SB and nothing.I think I need the support from a group,and my biggest problem is portion control. Have to learn that again, as the other diet tell you to eat until your full,theres not control like here. I'm going talk with my doctor to give me a note for the low points & my new goal.Like you I don't need to get down to 125,if I reach 140 me & my doctor will be happy.

Have a nice afternoon

Hugs BB
Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #13  

G'day all,

Nice to see a bit of action on the boards

I totally agree with BeachBum, if your doctor and yourself are happy with a certain weight that then should become your goal weight.
Sounds like you are doing OK.
I also live a block away from the beach and love being so close to the beach. Very handy to keep cranky grandchildren happy by going for a walk down the beach and collect shells.
However I still loved living in the Adelaide Hills with all the trees, birdlife etc. and do miss it. We moved here because dh grew up in this area and he loves the beach.

Ann what a lovely surprise that Holly sprung on you and Phil
I am looking forward to winter but it will be very short lived, July 7 we leave for 8 weeks for the Outback and travel to Cape York, the upper most Eastern tip of Australia (check out your atlas!) It is pretty rugged country and only suitable for 4x4 wheel drive vehicles and the weather is tropical
We are travelling with another couple, camping out bush, should be a good trip but all a bit rushed for me. Alan comes home June 27 and we then have to prepare and pack up for this trip.

Trudy I haven't had much time to miss Alan too much, we talk several time by video phone (skype). The weekends are the time that I do really miss having him around.

Every afternoon I listen on-line to Sydney Radio (Adelaide radio is a bit boring) once a week they have a competition and listeners are invited to have a 'rant'. (venting as you would say) I rang in this week and
had my rant why EVERYTHING IS SO DIFFICULT TO OPEN
It doesn't matter what packet/jar I try to open, invarariably I have to get scissors, knifes opening gadgets or whatever to open something that should be very easy.
This Christmas to try and open some of the gifts for the grandchildren needed the services of a Rhodes Scholar, ridiculously difficult to try and extract the toy from the packaging.
Anyway I won with my rantand won a CD and a book that is in the mail.

What really bothers you guys? Have a RANT, cannot promise any prizes but it would be interesting what bothers you besides the difficulty of loosing weight

Have a great day,

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 04-10-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #14  
beachbum

Good Morning Ladies

Got a good night sleep and just wake up at 7:30than I had to rush to get to Walmart and get some shopping done. I have a senior rehearsal this afternoon,hope it doesn't rain,as it looks like its going to start in a few minutes.

My first WW meal today, for 20 pts.+2 weekly points. They give a lots of meal plans with recipes to boot, in the food companion. They never did that before.I know I can follow this.

my menu 22pts[1100]

b-cereal W fruit,and soy milk[4]

d-Turkey sausage w)peppers & onions,salad/dress[5]

sn-baked apple[2]

supper-RB Sandwich with mozz,w)ww yogurt[6]
des-mini popcorn & choc milk shake[5]

============================================
MARIA-The points I can deal with but my weight goal is something I'm going to fight for. Those charts are to low,and not achievable. My next door neighbor was 100 lbs. and her doctor told her that if she doesn't eat and gain she'll die.They gave me a goal range of 107-128. Tourist always tell me how lucky I am living by the beach.

Hugs BB
Old 04-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #15  
suz
suz

Afternoon Ladies
Well BB sounds like you are revved up and ready to lose, good luck I hope it works for you

Ann You are so right about watching what you are eating when you only have to fix a meal for your self I cooked myself one of our roasting chickens and have made my meals around it

well i better go and check the plants in the greenhouse and see if they need water or turning

Take care Suz