South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #1  

Default Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom

I know we are allowed to have no sugar added fudge pops but I was wondering if Peanut butter/Chocolate no sugar added would be okay? Since we are only allowed to have natural PB, I wasn't sure. I know there are a lot more calories compared to the regular fudge, but thought it could be an occasional treat. Here are the nutritional facts:

Serving Size 1 Bar (55g)
Servings Per Container 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories 160 Calories from Fat 100
% Daily Values**
Total Fat 11g 17%
Saturated Fat 8g 40%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 10mg 3%
Sodium 60mg 3%
Potassium 95mg 3%
Total Carbohydrate 17g 6%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Sugars 3g
Sugar Alcohol 9g
Protein 3g 6%
Vitamin A 2%

Vitamin C *

Calcium 6%
Iron 8%

Riboflavin 4%

Vitamin B12 2%
Phosphorus 4%

*Contains less than 2% of these values
**Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Your daily values may lower depending on your calorie
needs:
Calories: 2,000 2,500
Total Fat Less than 65g 80g
Saturated Fat Less than 20g 25g

Cholesterol Less than 300mg 300mg
Sodium Less than 2400mg 2400mg
Potassium 3500mg 3500mg
Total Carbohydrate 300g 375g
Dietary Fiber 25g 30g

Protein 50g 65g
INGREDIENTS: Contains:Reduced Fat Ice Cream: Milk Fat and Nonfat Milk, Chocolate Ribbon (Sorbitol, Water, Lactitol, Cocoa Processed with Alkali, Food Starch-Modified, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Potassium Sorbate as Preservative, Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium), Micro Peanut Butter Cups {Peanut Butter (Peanuts, Salt), Coconut Oil, Lactitol, Maltitol, Cocoa Processed with Alkali, Soy Lecithin, Vanilla Extract), Peanut Butter Base (Peanuts, Peanut Oil, Salt, Mono & Diglycerides), Maltodextrin, Sorbitol, Polydextrose, Whey Protein Concentrate, Glycerine, Carob Bean Gum, Cellulose Gum, Mono & Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Corn Starch, Polysorbate 80, Carrageenan, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Caramel Color, Annatto (For Color), Vitamin A Palmitate. Coating: Coconut Oil, Lactitol, Cocoa Butter, Soybean Oil, Nonfat Milk, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Processed with Alkali, Soy Lecithin, Vanillin, Acesulfame Potassium.
DreaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sorry but this is over the sweet treat limit and also has too many no-no ingredients.
If you are on South Beach, you need to save this for an occasional treat when you get to Phase III.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #3  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Ruth, what about it isn't phase 1 or 2 friendly? The only thing I can see is the calories, fat and sat. fat are all really high for something so small.

I'm new to this, and need help deciphering what I can and cannot have.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Drea, technically I support Ruth's view of this--there are a lot of processed ingredients in there, and it is over the sweet treat limit, which is meant to help you avoid stomach upset and gastric discomfort from sugar alcohols (which this is chock full of).

In terms of your question, though, the peanut butter in this is just fine. It's made with peanuts and salt, no sugar, no hydrogenated oils. However, the other ingredients (like coconut oil) have saturated fat, so as a total product, there are problems. Does that make sense? Please feel free to ask more questions. I know we're all trying to figure out what might work for us!

However, I've eaten Blue Bunny products for several years now. I used to only get them when we visited my in-laws in the midwest, but our local super-Wal*Mart carries some of them now. When I was at my in-laws, I had a couple of the type of treats you mentioned when everyone had pumpkin pie or cheesecake or whatever. It wasn't great for me, but it was much better than giving in to the stuff everyone else was eating.

Since I can get them for every day use now, I try to stick to low fat/fat free items. I'm a big fan of the:

Health Smart® Fudge & Vanilla Fudge Bars (the chocolate vanilla swirl ones are SOOO good!)
Health Smart® Raspberry & Orange Crème Bars (both are awesome, but the raspberry tastes more "real")

I know we aren't supposed to eat ice cream, even NSA stuff, regularly, if at all. But I experimented with it two years ago and found that I can stick to the serving size. It hasn't appeared to hurt my cravings or my weight loss, so I sometimes indulge in:

No Sugar Added Reduced Fat Bunny Tracks® Other than the trans-fat in the bunnies' fillings (and there are only 3 or 4 bunnies in a serving, if that), it's not bad--though it's definitely processed, full of things you can't name, and not SBD-compliant.

Last edited by beachgal; 04-07-2008 at 03:30 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #5  
beachin'

I think you have it down Beachgal, moderation is key. If a person CAN stick to serving sizes and be conscious of what they are eating..than I think it is ok to have a treat or two every once in awhile while on phase 2 or 3. If all of a sudden you eat a piece of chocolate and you go insane and eat 40 candybars in two days, you may have a problem and should probably stay away from the sugar for good.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #6  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

I made a great frozen yogurt treat last night for dessert with plain greek yogurt, frozen berries, and some agave nectar. It wasn't super sweet, but it was really good.

I had the serving size that the greek yogurt would have allowed, a little less than that.
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #7  
beachin'

uscarchie, you just mixed it all up and threw it in the freezer? Sounds yummy. I'll have to keep that in mind for phase 2.

What about stevia, would that work and is it allowed?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #8  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Zeffryn, here's the recipe for the frozen fruit treat
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
If all of a sudden you eat a piece of chocolate and you go insane and eat 40 candybars in two days, you may have a problem and should probably stay away from the sugar for good.
zeff, have you been spying on me?
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #10  
beachin'

I have eyes in the back of my head.

It's how I catch my husband eating my son's easter candy!

I've tried to stay away from everything sweet during these 2 weeks of phase 1. Sweets was one of my biggest downfalls, and I don't trust myself to have just one bite. The feeling of deprivation has really declined. I know that we're allowed to have NSA fudge pops, but I think that will just aggravate my craving for chocolate. Maybe during phase 2, I'll consider it...but I think I'll just stick to fruit.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #11  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Femmecreole, sounds like you and I are on the same path

I have a smoothie recipe that I posted on here that I have been experimenting with for the past 6 weeks. About a week ago, I made the basic low fat milk with non fat plain yogurt based smoothie that I always have but this time with a can of mandarin oranges. The sweetener is Splenda and you use crushed ice. Again, like yours it goes in the blender.

We had somewhere to go and I was in a hurry so I put the entire glass blender pitcher in the freezer with the idea that I would have it when I returned home. Well, to my surprise and delight, it had frozen on the bottom half and it was very thick on the top half!

Whenever I make something new, I "insist" my DH taste tests it. I gave him the frozen part. He said it tasted just like "regular" orange sherbet. It was so delicious that I know that I will make it again. And again......

What I am especially pleased with is that this is no/low fat and artificially sweetned with Splenda. It was like my favorite Publix low fat frozen yogurt only with NO SUGAR!!! And, it was good enough for my DH to say Yummy!!

I am now returning to figure out a way to make a chocolate "shake" for when the hot summer days come. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Last edited by pamatga; 04-08-2008 at 12:42 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #12  
beachin'

Pamatga- That sounds divine! Something to keep in mind for phase 2 forsure.
Could you keep the same base and just add some unsweetened cocoa powder? Maybe some peanut butter? The possibilities are endless, really. Strawberries and cocoa powder, bananas and peanut butter.

omg. i'm salivating.