South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Default Next Sunday, I will start South Beach again

Please everyone support me by giving me a list of Phase I foods that are easy to buy or make.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I just made the best lasagna...I would even eat it if I wasn't on the SB plan.
Eggplant or zucchini slices replace the lasagna noodles, the sauce is LOADED with fresh veggies and ground turkey, and the cheese is non-fat ricotta and 2% mozzarella.
Let me know if you want the recipe. My family LOVED it.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I love the Taco Bake in the recipe section of the SBD forum. Zeffryn, I would love that recipe. Sounds yummy!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #4  
beachin'

Murph, I'll shoot it over in a PM.

The Taco Bake is wonderful. I'm having it again this week. I'm not having a very difficult time finding things that are great that I really want to eat. It is usually pretty easy to adapt things to SB.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #5  

Is lasagna allowed on P1?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 150/140/125

Height: 5'4''

Hi, FoodObsessed:

I don't have a lot of great meal ideas for you, as I am a boring eater. Most of my meals consist of a cup of veggie chilli or other spicy bean based soup, and loads of asparagus or green beans. My ABSOLUTE favorite SB treat is roasted chickpeas. Here is a delicious recipe from the Kalyn's Kitchen blog. Also, there was a thread here a few days ago with tips on how to get them nice and crispy.

Good luck starting SBD again!!

Note: You can find the recipe for Crispy Roasted Chickpeas with Moroccan Spices in the Snacks -- Phase 1 thread in the Recipe Forum!

Last edited by beachgal; 04-07-2008 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Put in link to recipe in recipe forum.
mary83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #7  
beachin'

Those chickpeas are AWESOME! Such a wonderful little munchy snack

Food- Regular lasagna isn't allowed, but this is because the pasta is replaced by sheets of vegetables (either eggplant or zucchini).
It's absolutely delicious, and very very filling. It doesn't even think about tasting like diet food.....much like most of the South Beach recipes.

Also, if you're craving sweet....I mixed fat free ricotta with a small amount of splenda and a small amount of unsweetended cocoa powder. I don't have a ton, but just a little satiates that sweets craving.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:01 AM   #8  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

probably not gonna be able to have lasagna on phase 1 as you can't have noodles in phase 1
have you read the book... it will really help you understand why you eat the way you do in phase one... and then the slow transition to phase 2 will be easy. all in all it will take about 2 months to transition to your new eating way of life.

that being said... my savior in phase one were:

string cheese
hard boiled eggs (i did a dozen at a time)
and CHILI

best of luck to you.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

hallooo foodobsessed!

i hafta concur w/mary..am also a boring eater but can also recommend this site and kalyn's kitchen for unexpected and delish recipes. what got me thru the mornings of P1 were the ricotta muffins and breakfast mini-quiches.

zeffryn. couldja pm that lasagne recipe my way? sounds delish!thanx
jandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #10  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I also make the eggplant lasagna. Just slice eggplant thin, brush it with a little olive oil and sprinkle seasoning (whatever you like...I use Creole seasoning)...then bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until soft. Then build your lasagna as normal using the eggplant instead of noodle. I usually use ground turkey, mushrooms, squash bits, zucchini bits, spinich and whatever else I have in the fridge in the sauce. If I'm feeling lazy, I just use a no sugar added sauce and add to it instead of making it from scratch.

The first time I did this was about a year ago and my husband said never use regular noodles again...it is so much better with the eggplant.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

FoodObsessed!

You'll find tons of great recipes in the Recipe Forum. You can also find some of the big favorites listed in the Emergency Phase 1 Thread in the FAQ (it's stickied near the top).

I assume you've read the book, right? There are lots of good tips in there.

I usually find it easiest to make big casseroles (our favorites are the Taco Bake, Chicken Divan, and White Chicken Chili) or soups/chilis, and then eat off them for several days. I also usually make up a big bowl of homemade veggie salad (like 3 Bean Salad or a Broccoli/Cheese/Bacon salad --both recipes are in the recipe forum). That gives me a quick side dish if I just want to cook up some meat, or a quick snack.

Glad you're joining us!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #12  
I can do this!

One more thing--Chickies, I think it's AWESOME when you post recipes to help each other out! However, if they are buried in a post like this, though people might remember that it's somewhere here in the forum, they might not know where to find it again. To save them the search, please post your recipe in the recipe forum and then include a link to the post in your post in the thread in this forum. I know it's an extra step, but it ensures that everyone will be able to enjoy your recipe because it'll always be easy to find!

Thanks for your help with this!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #13  

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have read the book but it's been a while. I will buy the book on Saturday when I go out with my high school friend. Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #14  
beachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmecreole View Post
I also make the eggplant lasagna. Just slice eggplant thin, brush it with a little olive oil and sprinkle seasoning (whatever you like...I use Creole seasoning)...then bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until soft. Then build your lasagna as normal using the eggplant instead of noodle. I usually use ground turkey, mushrooms, squash bits, zucchini bits, spinich and whatever else I have in the fridge in the sauce. If I'm feeling lazy, I just use a no sugar added sauce and add to it instead of making it from scratch.

The first time I did this was about a year ago and my husband said never use regular noodles again...it is so much better with the eggplant.
My husband said the same thing. It was just so much lighter than regular lasagna. He said that the regular stuff was ok for once in awhile, but this was much better for just everyday meals.

For my sauce, I take 1 large can of organic crushed tomatoes and 1 can organic diced tomatoes (fire roasted if you can find it)
Saute 1 onion, chopped with 3-4 cloves of garlic. Brown ground turkey, or turkey italian sausage. Add tomatoes. Add whatever veggies you like. We add a 10 oz. pkg of frozen spinach, chopped zucchini and yellow squash, red bell pepper, mushrooms, and carrots. Add 1-2 T. italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste, a little crushed red pepper if you're feeling saucy and a splash or two of red wine if you've been eating well lately and want to reward yourself. Add a little splenda to taste. Simmer, simmer, simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.

The cheese part, I mix 2 cups of fat free ricotta or fat free cottage cheese with 1 egg. Add dried herbs (italian seasoning, basil, parsley, whatever)

Layer "noodles", ricotta cheese mixture, 1 cup shredded mozzarella, and half sauce. Start another rotation of layers. End with meat sauce. Sprinkle with some great parmesan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.

You can also replace the noodles with zucchini slices instead of eggplant. Both are equally tasty.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Has anyone had the chicken and eggplant bake from the SBD Cookbook? It's DIVINE!!! It's layered like the lasagna you're all describing, but you cook the eggplant first with a fine layer of asiago cheese on it. SOOO good!