Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/see ticker/happy

Height: 5ft 9in

Question Calling all shift workers

I am a nurse who works 12 hour shifts. I find it very hard to eat right at the end of the day and after my shift ends at 7pm. I tendd to plan to eat well and end up binging = fat gain. Does anyone else deal with this problem and what do you do to help? I am not really able to get out between 5 -7pm as this is a very busy time. Thoughts, ideas please.
Thanks.
scrappinRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I'm an office worker, but I have had days in the past (especially during holidays) where we were required to work a ton of overtime. Because I knew about it ahead of time I was able to prepare a HUGE vat of soup ahead of time. I dished it into bowls, and for a few nights ate soup and microwaved up some frozen vegetables. Usually a piece of bread on the side. I was set. You might not be able to have soup every single night, but there's always chili!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #3  
Bikini Season :)

i'm a nurse too and it sucks - the break room always have junk food, families bring in plates of candy, drug reps bring food....

i dunno what specialty you are - but i work ICU - so i'm always generally in the same spot and can easily leave my bag at my bedside.

so i have a big bag - water bottle, snacks, etc... and i make a point to munch when i remember to throughout the day. i keep the water bottle full and behind the computer so everytime i chart something i remember to take a swig.

every night before working the next day - i pack my lunch box with fruit, yogurt and a sandwich, lean cuisine, - whatever.

i tell myself to eat breakfast before i go to work, and i try not to eat after i get home. i just take my work day like i would at home and eat accordingly. if i dont get my lunch break until late - well, good. i have my snacks in my bag right with me!
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:55 PM   #4  
No description available.

I work 24 hr shifts and it is hard (and I remember 12 hr shifts). I know what you mean about bingy behavior after a stressful long shift. I just had to finally wrest control and PLAN what I would have and refuse to deviate from that plan. It is sometimes easy and sometimes really hard, but the more I control my behavior, the easier it gets.

You can do it. You have it in you to say no to bingy stuff and yes to health.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Size 26/22/8

I'm usually kept too busy to sit down and eat except during my one break. A book that has helped me stop snacking on goodies that people offer me while on the run is the Beck Diet Solution. It isn't a diet - rather, it helps you strategize on how best to succeed at whatever "diet" you are on.
cheetara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #6  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm a RN and taking some time off before I graduate with my BSN and moving and I have new job lined up working critical care nights 12 hour shifts 7p-7a. I have a running schedule I'd love to follow and an eating plan and I worry when I start this new job it's all going to go to ****!

Not to mention, I live about 45 min commute to and from work, so that's less time to sleep AND workout inbetween shifts.

Glad to know there are so many nurses here!
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #7  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

RN here too. I think planning is essential. When I don't plan, I don't eat properly. Sometimes I prepare ahead and cook things and other times I will use pre-packaged foods. I do cook enough to be able to take leftovers for my lunch on most days so pre-packaged foods are kept to a minimum.
I also know where I can stop on the way home and grab a healthy, on plan meal to take home. Eggs for dinner have become a staple on those tired nights as well. They are quick and tasty. Another quickie is a tuna melt. Made at home, the tuna can be kept healthy and I use whole grain bread.
If I am feeling quite hungry at the end of the shift then I have a snack before I leave work. Sometimes a South Beach Diet cereal bar or a piece of fruit or a yogurt. This helps calm the hunger before getting home.
Karla
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #8  
Determined to succeed!

S/C/G: 204.4/181/140

Height: 5ft 6in

I'm an RN too. I work a blend of 11-7 and 7p-7a shifts in a NICU.

I know what you mean about the end of the shift being a nightmare time to find a minute to grab a snack; around 5-5:30 am we begin doing lab draws, ABGs (with the resulting ventilator changes, etc.), final feedings, weights (of babies on IV fluids) and linen changes, and also get all this stuff charted before 6:30 am. I'm telling you it's crazy at that time of the shift! The past few nights I have run into the breakroom and either grabbed a yogurt (I like a small amount of Greek yogurt mixed with chopped up peaches or nectarines) or a cereal bar (like Fiber One) and a cup of 1% milk right at 5:00 am before the craziness begins. I can scarf that size of a snack down in about 3 to 5 minutes if I have too. I have been able to succeed with this plan and if I get off work in time I find I'm not hungry before crawling into bed. If I eat earlier than 5:00 am I do get hungry by the time I get home around 8:00 am.

My saving grace is planning my meals ahead of time and packing them to take with me. I love to hear everyone's tips and suggestions. Shift work can be a real challenge to eating properly!
Gambaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/150/135

Height: 5'4

My work schedule is 11 hours, 14 hours and 15 hours. I also usually pick up an extra 10 hour shift as well. I pretty much eat when I am hungry, but if it's at the end of my shift (like last night I got off at midnight) I eat a small snack. I had some string cheese at 1 AM and ended up going to bed at 4 AM.

I have a kitchen available to me so while at work I make real meals.
ShannanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:42 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/206/150

Height: 5'6

I work 10 hour shifts from 4p-2a and found planning is a must. I try and keep snack size bags filled with nuts in my desk for snacks and pack dinner and fruit as a snack. The days I didn't plan ahead were disasters.

Last edited by danemom; 04-08-2008 at 01:43 AM.
danemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #11  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

I'm a charge RN, and I work 7p-7a. Basically I must plan and be very aware of when I last ate because my eating schedule easily gets screwed up. I work nights because I'm not a morning person at all. I hit the gym to do my walks before I go to work and I must say it energizes me the whole shift (I always thought it would make me tired....who knew?). I suggest packing a good variety of healthy snacks and a high protein lunch. This gets me through my shifts with no problem (and I used to be an after work binger big time). Also get plenty of water....I know that's a challenge for most of us

Edit to add I second the fiber one bars! They are unbelievably delicious and knock out hunger for only 140 calories.

Last edited by Gela; 04-08-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote