Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 09:36 PM   #1  
Progress..not perfection

Angry 300+ And Ready To Try Again...........#175

WELCOME

We are a group of people who are working together to lose our excess weight.
We are on different plans and are of different sizes.
We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday..... Weigh ins / Wacky/ Way to go Wednnesday
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

Please feel free to jump right in with us.
And be sure to check if there is a second page. We don't want anyone to miss any posts.

Old 06-03-2002, 09:50 PM   #2  
Progress..not perfection

Wink Hello Everyone!

Twice in one day!! Hmmmmm, what's a person to think? To answer your question 2cute, No, I did not answer my boob. She looked at me really strange and I told her I had my alarm set on my watch to remind me to take my medicine and I rushed off to the bathroom Good thing she didn't notice I didn't have a watch on!!

Michelle:
Come back girl. Even if your not perfect, it doesn't matter. You don't have to be perfect to be here. I'm not. I did really well today at work. Totally on program.....had my lean cuisine, applesauce and a cereal bar. Stayed within my points and was feeling good. THEN......came home and ate two cheeseburgers!! And fries!! I did have diet coke however, to balance it out. No, I was not perfect today....
yes, I ate too much, but I am here and little by little I will be building my strength. I may have not done very well when I got home, but I was good at work. That was small progress. And I have drunk my water today. Please come back......good or bad. I love you. Okay?

Kat: Your posts have cracked me up so much here lately. What would I do without you girl?! You always make me laugh. I sure did miss you my friend.

To everyone else, I'm trying to catch up on the board too, just like everything else in my life, so it will probably take me awhile to get my individual posts rolling, but know I love you all and am so glad to be back! For good!

Also,
2cute: I don't have a long long post to you. I just want to tell you simply that you are very loved by someone.......
ME. You really inspire me girl. Whether you are perfect or not, you are just my bosom (hehe) buddy!

Well, I'm gonna hop off for now. Hope you all have a wonderful evening and I will see you tomorrow!

Tina
Old 06-03-2002, 10:16 PM   #3  

Do any of you know where you can 'test' yourself to see what would be the best/easiest diet to do that you would actully have a chance of following?

I have to do something but can't seem to settle on any one diet. Don't say WW because I have tried that twice and NEVER lost, I know many love it and it works for them but not me....so any other ideas....

I just got home and am still tired from the weekend....glad you are back, Michelle and Tina....

I probably won't start a "strict" diet plan until July 1st (after vacation) but want to start planning...building anticipation...getting ready....
Old 06-04-2002, 04:51 AM   #4  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! WOW! Here I've missed a whole thread and a half again. It doesn't pay to be away.

I missed WI (not Wisconsin) this morning because my foster sister asked me to go to court with her. I think I told you all that her brother is sueing her for 1/2 of the house she is living in because it is in both their names and the mother is dead. He was executor of the estate and never did his job. Also he had fineggled (sp?) his name onto all of his mother's accounts before her death so rather than all of the monies being divided equally as his mother intended, he has slowly transferred all of the funds over the years out of her accounts and into his and anything that was left at her death he is claiming is his because the accounts were all joint. It's a mess and now she has to put the house up for sale. She has nowhere to go. She has been working as a missionary in the city, working to feed and cloth the homeless and now she'll be homeless in 30 days unless some miracle happens. My heart bleeds for her.

It was another movie weekend for us. I had to do counts for Insomnia again, but we were able to see The Sum of All Fears. It's the one based on the Tom Clancy novel. If you liked Clear and Present Danger and Hunt for Red October you will surely like this one.

We also saw Undercover Brother and I'm sorry Malia, but it was 2 hours that we will never get back! It had some funny stuff in it, but, in my humble opinion, is better left for the $3 video rental than the $8.25 per ticket theatre viewing.

Honey is out of town. He is working in Mexico until Thursday. The youngest is dropping by this week so he can fly out on Thursday to St. Louis for a conference. It's just me and the oldest holding down the fort here. That should mean my food will be good because he goes to school every night, but I'm not counting any chickens here. My track record hasn't been all that great lately!

I have included too many whogees and it won't let me post. So this will be part 1, please look for part 2 if you can stand anymore!

Last edited by thinthinker; 06-04-2002 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:52 AM   #5  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default Part 2

Katrina: Your positive energy is contagious, keep it up. * I'm glad the moth balls are working out. Like I said, mom swears by them for all those little varments!

Baylee: I know this comment is a whole thread overdue, but dang, girl, you finally got it! We're all here, going through the same things and we just all like each others company anyway! How 'bout that!!!! "Anybody know where a person can buy those belts or pool flotation devices? " They're called boobs, Baylee, just boobs! Sorry, I couldn't resist!

LuckyLadyBug: I'm on your journey with you! Count me in! * WOW, good question. I don't have the vaguest idea how you would go about determining a diet plan. Most everyone I know does it by trial and error. I guess it sort of depends on what you think is important to you and how involved you want a plan to be (like how much keeping track you want to do) and if you have any real feelings for some of the hype (fact or fictional?) like Atkins being hard on organs because of your body not being able to process so much protein, or diets that rely on supplements, or even cost factors. Sorry, not much help here.

2cute: I'm glad you got your daughter moved. One down, one to go! It sounds like you're back on a roll. I'm so happy for you! We get so miserable when we have one crash after another. It's hard to get back on the road. It looks like you're doing ok again. Good for you!

Mary: Still counting the anniversary of dates! That's so cute! Eating on the run does it to me too, every time. If I take the time to cook dinner at home, I can pretty much stay OP, but it's the fast food and eating out that have been my recent downfall.

Malia: Sounds like you're having a great time with your niece and family. It's good to have you back.

Duckie: As has been said, don't let not doing well OP keep you from your friends. We're here sharing a bottle of water no matter what shape we're in. Just having a chat. Don't stay away, we miss you. * How is your boyfriend's job going? Are things easing up a bit for you now? I hope all is going better.

Tina: What a sweet honey you have. Just the kind of things we all need to hear and you get it first hand. Treasure that, my friend. I'm glad you're here to stay. * Your 'boob' stories are hysterical. It couldn't happen any better than that, your boob ringing while you're talking to the boss! Aye yey!!! Nice save with the watch story though, I gotta say. Quick thinking.

It's so great to have this place back up and working. It was sooooo worth staying up to 4:45 AM to catch up! I do have to go though. I'm supposed to be writing reports, and what am I doing???? PROCRASTINATING.......again! I've gotta run. Now that I've stayed up this late I need to finish because I'll never get up in the morning to get them done before deadline. Love to all!

"It is in our idleness, in our dreams, that the submerged truth sometimes comes to the top." - Virginia Wolf

Last edited by thinthinker; 06-04-2002 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2002, 07:58 AM   #6  
Dancing those pounds away

Tina.... I am Honored being your "Bosom Buddy"
I am so glad you are BACK !!!!

Michelle.... today is the tomorrow you talked about yesterday.
Get you lovely little butt back in here.

Hmmm.... tina's boobs and Michelles butt... who wants to bring back their belly. LOL

Thin.... you didn't leave us... but you have been gone a lot.
Glad to see you back. Keep us posted on the movies.
I will still go see any movie... I will just go to the $2 theatre and see them. Still cheaper than renting... and they show NEW releases. I am very lucky there.

Lucky... yes I have taken a written test to determine what diet plan you should follow. In fact .. I think it was posted here in our thread. It seemed to work for many of us. who posted that ???

tina... that was quick thinking on the ringing boob. LOL
I would have been speechless. LOL
It sounds like you are making PROGRESS on your food plan.
Now hang onto that "Attitude of Gratitude" and you will be back losing again.
Thanks also for starting the new thread.

Okay ladies.. I will have to get back to the rest of you.
This has covered everyone on this new thread.

Today on Oprah is Dr Phil .... the topic is "we are what we say we are" How to CHANGE that negative talk about ourselves.
It is a rerun... but still good advice.

Tuesday Tips.
Baby steps
Attitude of Gratitude
Progress not perfection
Practice makes Progress
Brush your teeth often
Drink that water
Get off your butt and do something physical

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 06-04-2002 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:12 AM   #7  
a work in progress...

Default Terrific Tuesday!

OH MY!!! I does my heart good to see everyone, back and posting... This place does feel like a big coffee klatch sometimes...just to come in and share what's going on in our lives...and what it takes to get us through the day...and maybe by the way, how the ol' diet is going...

VENTING PORTION OF THIS POST COMING UP...

Earlier this morning (while at work) I spent a good portion of my time in the ER...when the hospital is filled to capacity, the ER has to hold in-patients down there...which means I have to go do my thing and whip all their charts together...Like anywhere else, you have your really good workers and then you have your lazy, good for nothing, @#%$# types...Unfortunately, sometimes nurses fall into that category...(no offense, Baylee, I'm sure you know what I mean!) I worked with this worthless, undeserving of the hefty paycheck that she receives, lazy nurse last night...I'm still burning! I really try not to hang on to anger, but man, she pissed me off! I was swamped with patients all over the hospital, when I finally got down to her, she sat there, with her newspaper, reading...with a pile of charts just waiting for me. She had done NOTHING!!!! I spoke not a word, and went straight to my work, while she alternated between making her shopping list, cleaning out her purse and even knocking off a few zzzzzs. No patient care either...she seemed a bit miffed when the monitor alarms would go off. This woman makes about $65.00/hr and had the nerve to just sit there! No exageration...with ICU rates and incentive pay they really make that much...to sit and sleep while I bust my butt for the mere pittance that I make...Anyway, the point of all that was to say that they had this HUGE tray of brownies down there...I was so tempted, especially when I was fuming...but I thought...NO WAY is that cow gonna upset me enough to blow my day before it even starts...so that's all I have to say about that...WHEW! Glad I got that off my chest!

That was a roundabout way of patting myself on the back! I fully intend to make this a perfect day.

But for now, I must roust my son out of bed...he's a tired puppy this AM...see you all later
Old 06-04-2002, 11:02 AM   #8  
I'm on my way!

Ok today is the day!!

I have had 4 glasses of water and 5 pts so far. I think I am going to go into the crash diet mode to get me started. Well at least I will start my day out that way so when I do eat something it won't be that plus whatever else it was that I already ate! Does that make sense to you all?

OK...next news! I have decided to go back to school for nursing. Can you stand it! LOL Me a nurse!! I signed up and paid for a course in Algebra because I never had it in high school and need it before I can take chemistry. I have a mental block for algebra. There are just soooo many things to remember to get to the answer. Uuugghh!! I have to take my first exam sometime next week but I am aiming for tomorrow since John will be home and I won't have to pay a sitter.

I also filed for financial aid for the fall semester. Does anyone know anything about how that works? Its based on last years income so my expected family contribution would be $191 but since I am on unemployment this year the financial aid office will take that into consideration. Now do I have to reapply for January semester or does this application cover september and january semesters? SO many questions!! At least this is keeping me busy so I won't eat myself into oblivion again!

Kat what exactly do you do for work? At first I thought you were a nurse too like Baylee!

Well I better get offa here so I can concentrate on my ALGEBRA! I'll catch you all later!
Michelle
Old 06-04-2002, 12:46 PM   #9  

Angry

Michelle... I am so proud of you. You will have some tough times ahead of you... but you can do this... and you will make a Wonderful nurse. I don't have any knowledge of financial aid stuff. I will try to remember to ask my DIL. but she was a single mom... and lost her aid when she married my son.
I am sooo glad to see you back with us.

Kat... glad you came here and got that off your chest. It was so appropriate since we have been on the subject of boobs lately. Chest/boobs.... stupid coworker/boob ... get it.

I was reading another site and read this and wanted to share it...

Quote: "2cute, I've read some of your other posts with the "Practice makes progress" saying, and I always liked that phrase. I think that perfectionism not only makes us feel bad when we fall short, but it makes us feel paranoid when we're actually doing well! "

Paranoid when we are doing well./failure when doing bad
I knew all too well about the failure aspect... but it did open my eyes to "fear" when doing well. Fear of failing.

Well... if you change your focus to just improving your health, improving your mind set, improving your food choices.... it is not so black and white.

Okay... I have not only been staying on program all day ....
I have also been very productive.
I am out of here to get back to my rare but welcomed productivity.

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 06-04-2002 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:18 PM   #10  
I'm on my way!

I'm baaaack!!!

I have a plan here...for today anyway...whenever I feel the need to put something in my mouth I make myself a great big mug of hot herbal tea with equal! So far today I have 6 glasses of water in and have only used 8 points. I will have a nice chicken dinner with chicken thighs marinated in FF italian dessing cooked on the grill and a plate FULL of veggies!! I WILL eat the skin off one piece of chicken and discard the rest! I have to have some skin or it wouldn't be worth eating chicken, NO?

Baylee....I am going for a two year RN but will then do the RN to BSN thing. More money with the BSN. Are you an RN or LPN or BSN?

2Cute...John and I aren't married. Thats a sore spot with me...a long story for another time...but anyway without him I qualify for some financial aid but if we get married then most likely I won't qualify so he is off the hook temporarily! Lucky him! Huh? I wouldn't be able to go back to school without the aid!

Tina your stories had me pee'ing my pants! I guess I live a boring life because nothing like that has ever happened to me! I love the ringing boob story the best! I'm so glad you came back...you inspired me to do the same! Things are going to be hectic for me with school and the baby right now and if I go back to work on top of that...but I will hopefully be too busy to even think about food! One of my problems is when I am trying to lose I am always thinking about FOOD....WHY? I hate that about myself!!

Kat.....UGH! 4:45? I hope you are sleeping now! My little guy woke up yesterday at 4 a.m. and wouldn't go back to sleep. So needless to say...mommy was up with him! I was so wired yesterday!

Lucky have you tried the slim fast? I was thinking of trying that this week to see if I can do it. Mostly just try to keep foods low in fat and sugars. And watch your portions....that is my biggest problem...one portion of pasta is only a 1/2 cup...that is NOTHING on your plate if you like quantity unless of course you fill it with veggies which I try to do. I try to make half my plate veggies so it looks like alot of food and the fiber fills me up!

Ok its back to hitting the books right now! I am just about finished with my last assignment then I need to rewrite my notes on index cards and then review them for the practice test! Hopefully I will get all that done tonight and be able to review my cards before I go for the actual test! I AM SCARED!

TTFN....I love you guys! Michelle
Old 06-04-2002, 03:35 PM   #11  

Okay ladies.... I have been working sooooo hard here. Cleaning, washing, folding, the list goes on and on. My "reward" is to sneak in here and get to read all of your posts every couple of hours.

And what a great reward it was this time.

Baylee... your food plan sure sounds like a good one to me.
Sensible... realistic, and long term liveability.
Please keep telling us how wonderful swimming is... hopefully in time it will get me back to my swimming too.

Someone needs to tell that "glorified assistant" that answering a persons call for help is called "humane". Grrrrrr I have a real sore spot for those "glorified assistant" types. I have seen my dad totaly ignored because it wasn't "their" job.

Michelle....your marinated chicken sounds yummy.
What is a BSN ??? I know RN and LPN.
I would say your chances for financial aid is going to be really good being a single mother. Take advantage of it all. There is a real shortage of nurses too .... so you should have a job waiting for you when you finish. They are offering all sorts of sign on bonuses here... just not enough nurses to go around.

Okay ladies... my reward time is over. Back to being a slave here. I must admit... it feels good to be productive today.
It also helps to stay on program. Even though I want to eat... I still feel good about myself so it is easier to resist.
When I am lazy and let crap pile up... I just don't like me... and then I say to heck with everything. It is almost as if I "can't" work.
got to run... love you all too.
probably will be back in a couple of hours again. LOL
Old 06-04-2002, 04:28 PM   #12  
a work in progress...

Good afternoon...

Oh, I'm feeling much better now...I slept for about 5 hours straight! Heaven!

Lucky, I came across this earlier today...thought of you and your quest for the "right" diet...see what you think...

Secrets of Successful Weight Loss

No Special Diets, Programs Necessary
By Jennifer Warner

May 10, 2002 -- The secret of losing weight and keeping it off isn't really a secret at all -- no fad diet, no special fat-burning pill, no celebrity-endorsed weight-loss organization. The largest survey ever on long-term weight loss shows that most successful weight-loss veterans did it all on their own, without using expensive commercial diet programs, dietary supplements, special foods or meal substitutes, or drugs.

~~The survey, conducted and published by Consumer Reports, questioned more than 32,000 dieters and found 83% of those who had kept the extra pounds off from more than a year did it without any gimmicks. In fact, just 14% of those who kept the weight off for more than five years ever signed up with Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, or other commercial diet programs, and even fewer used meal replacements such as Slim Fast.
(I've read there is as much sugar in SlimFast as there is in a can of coke!)

~~Researchers say their findings debunk the conviction that you need help from a diet guru or special meal plan to lose weight. And the biggest contributor to dieting success may not be what you eat anyway, but burning those calories with a regular exercise routine.

~~Eight out of 10 of the successful dieters who tried exercising three or more times a week ranked it as their No. 1 dieting strategy. Although walking was the most popular form of exercise for long-term success, nearly 30% added weight lifting to their routine to increase calorie-burning muscle mass.

~~But not everyone who tries to lose weight is successful at it. Only about a quarter of the dieters shed at least 10% of their starting weight and kept it off for at least a year, a standard definition of weight-loss success.

~~Researchers say there is no one-size-fits-all diet plan for everyone, but the survey did reveal some general tips and strategies that served the weigh-loss achievers well.

*Control your blood sugar. Refined carbohydrates create a surge in insulin that makes blood sugar levels plummet and leaves you feeling hungry. Substitute whole grains and high-fiber foods for white bread, potatoes, and pasta.
*Pack on the protein. Eating enough lean protein at each meal can make you feel full and slows the absorption of food.
*Fool yourself with volume. Adding water-filled vegetables and fruits can trick you into feeling full because you can eat more than with calorie-dense foods.
*Don't deny fat. Eating fat-free cookies, pretzels, and other treats that contain refined carbohydrates can lead to bingeing. Instead, allow yourself up to 30% of your daily calories to come from fat, particularly mono- and poly-unsaturated vegetable oils, nuts, and fish oil.
*Stay with it. More than half the dieting success stories in the survey said they applied these strategies to their diets every day.

Seems so straightforward, doesn't it? Anyway, I thought it was interesting...not much we haven't seen before, but some things bear repeating!

I'd better break this into two posts...I did want to write a few replies...back in a sec....
Old 06-04-2002, 05:06 PM   #13  
a work in progress...

Me again...like a bad penny, I keep turning up! I have to make this quick (haha) I have a ton of stuff to do and, as usual, little time to do it in! So here goes...

2cute...I think of being here as a "reward" too! "Course I haven't done anything yet, TODAY, to reward myself for, but I will! A BSN is an RN with a bachelor of science in nursing degree. I HATE that "It's not my job" attitude...isn't taking care of patients a nurses job?? OHHH don't get me started again!

Michelle...you sound so pumped up! Good for you and good luck with school. (ugh...algebra!) I am what used to be called a "unit secretary" although, recently, at my hospital, they decided to change that title to "Health Unit Coordinator,"
Usually each nurses station has a US, excuse me...HUC...who answers the phones and call lights, charts vital signs, interprets and transcribes doctor's orders, schedules diagnostic testing, phones in consults...etc etc etc...AT NIGHT, in my humble hospital anyway, there is ONE secretary on to cover the house. Whenever a patient is admitted, I go to that floor and put the chart together, take off the orders and all that THAT entails. It gets a little hairy when EVERYONE starts calling me at once...and some get highly insulted if I don't go to THEM first! It's not a hard job, just stressful at times...Nights is easier than days because you don't have all the distractions such as obnoxious doctors, ALL the other departments, visitors...etc. So when you become a nurse, be KIND to the unit secretary! (And she'll be kind to you!!) Right, Baylee?

Thin...how very fortunate your foster sister is to have you! Isn't it amazing the lengths people will go to for money. How sad. I hope things work out well for her. Um...up til 4:45 AM?? I guess with hubby away, you have to find SOMETHING to do!

Tina...oh you of the amazing, ringing breasts! I just have to tell you that your husband is a treasure...take good care of him...and take good care of yourself too! (and those boobs!)

Whoa, look at the time...gotta go...I am going to the gym tonight while my son is at scouts...need to grab some stuff...see you all later.

Old 06-04-2002, 05:33 PM   #14  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everyone! It looks like everyone is having a great day! That's so good. Gosh, it's wonderful to have most of our wayward souls back! It sure is lonely here when any of our friends are missing.

I finally hit the bed this morning 10 minutes to 6! Slept in until about 10:45. I had to get up and go to work.

Food is still not good, so we'll not discuss that. After all, we're just chatting, right????

2cute: WOW, it sounds like your head is back in the right place. Work with that natural high, it's a wonderful thing! * I never thought of the paranoid of failure part either. But it sure sounds logical to me.

Katrina: It's good that you have a level head. I would have been screaming bloody murder about that lazy @$$ nurse! * Congratulations on passing the brownies. You done good! * The piece on successful weightloss was very good. You're right, nothing really new, but how easily we forget and need to be reminded.

Michelle: WOW, going back to school! Good for you! As far as financial aid, I do know a bit about that. The best I can tell you is that you will need to fill out what they call a FAFSA form. You can either file electronically or on a paper form. Find out all about it at www.fafsa.ed.gov . What happens is you fill out a FAFSA in the like February or March (it depends on your state's requirements) the Fed's only need it by July 1 so you still have time. The one you fill out now will be good for aid for the fall of 2002 and spring of 2003 when you do the whole process again. It sounds like you've already done it since you already know what your family contribution amount is. The form asks for all kinds of info like your income tax return figures and investments, bank balances, etc. Then what happens is the Feds send their calculations to the college financial aid office and they work on getting you some funds in the form of grants and scholarships. There are also some loans available, some better than others, as well as work/study programs. I hope I helped rather than confusing you more. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Baylee: Good for you committing to the pool. You go girl. I love to swim but haven't in alot of years. I bet it feels wonderful.

I'm gonna run. You all behave.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:55 PM   #15  
Progress..not perfection

Thumbs up Grrrrrrrr.....I am so mad!

I am typing in bold, because I am very very angry. I have forever learned my lesson. I will never ever ever type a post again without writing it offline and then copying and pasting! I just typed this huge post, with replys to everyone....I have been working on it for over an hour and my connection to AOL was lost and I lost everything!!!!
I'm too mad to type it all over again...............but I will be back tonight. I will be typing it offline though. I love you all. Thanks for listening to my gripe.

Tina
Closed Thread