Old 04-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #1  

Question Clothing for the Plus, but Tall

I've never started a thread before, but I've been unable to find the questions and answers elsewhere on the site. Here's the problem: I have over 100 pounds to lose, I'm taller than average, I work in a professional setting, and I can't find clothes. I can find places with the large, but then they're not tall. I can find tall, but they stop at size 22 or 24 (right now I'm size 26-ugh!). I can (gasp) occasionally find something that is both big and tall, but it's so unprofessional that I could not wear it to the office. Does anyone have any ideas? While we're at it, and at the serious risk of TMI, does anyone know where I can find a bra that (a) doesn't ride up in the back and (b) doesn't feel like its trying to push my chest up under my chin (short straps!). Many thanks and sorry for being so darn confused!
WriterChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/250/225

Height: 5'10"

I'm 5'10" and a year ago I wore a 26 tall. I got my dress pants from Lane Bryant. Shirts though are harder to find. And long sleeves are impossible. It sounds like you need to get measured for a bra.
kgood2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #3  

Red face Lane Bryant

Thanks. I have had good luck with the "bend over" (not a great name) pants from Lane Bryant. Maybe I'll just stick with those and try and find some spring-y blouses/jackets (the black and white I wear gets a bit old for folks in the nice weather). Also I'm curious about the icons. I know that yellow in an egg means on line and an empty means not. But when I scrolled over the red dot in my egg it said I was invisible! Don't I wish!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #4  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

I'm a tall woman, too. I'm watching this thread!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW220/SW195/CW164/GW160

Height: 5'10"

Hi,

I'm 5'10" and I'm the shortest woman in my family, so I'm well-versed on the search for tall-sized clothing.

I recommend a website called www dot tall women dot org. I can't post links yet () so remove the spaces and make the dots into dots. The site has links to lots of clothing stores that you can look into online and in person.

Presently most of my clothing is from Banana Republic or New York and Company. I also frequent a store called Tall Girl which I know has a wider range of sizes, though I am not sure what that range is. Before I started dieting I also shopped at Lane Bryant and a store called Avenue.

Last edited by charisma classic; 04-03-2008 at 06:32 PM.
charisma classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

I'm tall too and always struggle with clothes. Pants that start off OK-then shrink up and I'm left with floods. Shirts that aren't quite broad enough across the shoulders and not quite along enough in the arm. "Sigh". Many years ago I worked at Lane Bryant and was always pleased with their generous true to size clothes. I haven't been there in years (my local store closed a few years back) but I've been checking out some of the clothes online and was thinking about putting and outfit together for when I get down a couple of more sizes.

Walmart also has some tall jeans in their Faded Glory Brand ***WARNING*** the last pair I picked up though I had to go up 1 size to get them to fit I have a pretty generous spare tire though so I struggle with pants in that area anyway

I'm keeping my eye on this thread too!!!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #7  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Okay, since I can post links, I will -- that tallwomen.org site is great! What a resource!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #8  

Thumbs up Thanks guys

Well I had a reply written, but it was in the "quick reply" section and it didn't have the smiley faces. Of course, when I went to copy it, I managed to delete it. Anyhow, thanks for the leads. I'm going to try those links. Perhaps its just an excuse to shop, but I think that if I dress better I will feel more positive, and if I feel more positive I will actually start exercising and eating better. Good thought anyhow.

Last edited by WriterChick; 04-04-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I'm on the cusp of being considered "tall" by the fashion industry. Which means, if I buy regular pants, they are too short but if I buy tall pants, I have to have them altered by a half inch!

Anyway, what I have found is that several places don't carry the tall size in the store but they have them online.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #10  

Default Height

I hear ya! I'm 5'8 which means my ankles get a breeze (oh yuck) if I try to wear any of the "average" pants. I also can find nothing in the stores but rely solely on catalogs unless I get lucky in finding an acceptable skirt. I think I'll just get a few basics (LB "bendover" pants, a couple coordinating jackets from there, and some long-sleeve collared blouses/shirts). I'm wondering if the Big&Tall catalog, even though its for guys, would have the lightly patterned, jersey knit shirts I'm thinking of. Can't stand anything that doesn't move with me. Geez, no wonder my kid is so picky about clothes. It's probably hereditary!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #11  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Hmm, I think some people in this thread are talking about different stores/catalogs and I'm not sure who is who... haha. The Lane Bryant catalog has now changed its name to Woman Within, so that it doesn't get confused with the store. Personally, I much prefer the store and they do have tall sizes in their pants... also, the material their new dress pants are made out of (it's a little bit stretchy, but thicker so it doesn't cling to anywhere unflattering) looks fabulous on me, if I do say so myself , so maybe you'd have luck there!

Last edited by LindseyLouWho; 04-04-2008 at 11:24 AM.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #12  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

6'1" and a size 20 tall...

I buy almost ALL my pants from Lane Bryant in their tall size... as for shirts--- I'm also very large breasted, so that doesn't help at all.

In terms of professional clothing--- I have a few choice pair of Lane Bryant dress slacks and I thank GOD for the creation of 3/4 length shirt sleeves!! Otherwise, anything "long sleeve" is always bunched up to my mid forearm so it's not blatently too short.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #13  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I'm also on the cusp between regular and tall. I usually buy my pants in tall and hem. I wear a lot of skirts which I've found make me look slimmer and I don't have to worry about looking like a flood is coming.

I get my bras at Lane Bryant and love them so much.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I haven't seen anyone mention Catherines, but they have career slacks in tall. (I know this, because I've seen them when looking for Petites.) They also have a website, in case there's not one local to you. I think they go up to a size 32.
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I am not really that tall..5'8" and all pants fit my length. But I do know about fashion, well a little anyways! heh.

Have you considered a well tailored skirt? Those can be just as professional as pants! Have a few basics and use accessories! Belts, necklaces, jackets!

As for your bra, it sounds like you need to be fitted for the right bra. If you don't want to get fitted, here are some tips (I used to fit bra's) when you put a bra on you want to make sure the straps are half way or more loosened, and you want to do it up on the middle hook. Move around as much as possible, you don't want the girls to pop out or anything, heh.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote