Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #1  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

Red face meditation advice?

So I have been feeling anxious the last 3 or 4 days, and I wanna stop. I mean, I have a million reasons to just be happy, and I really think that it’s all in my head, and I can choose to be calm. It has been taking a toll on my self-discipline, drive to workout, and staying with my calorie count. I want to try meditation to nip this in the butt, and was wondering if anyone has a book or electronic resource they like to get me started? Thanks!
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

i wish i could help you! i get like that myself rather often. i love yoga but i prefer to do it in a class setting and I can't afford that at present. something about doing yoga in my living room takes all the relaxation out of it!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

There are many, many books on how to meditate. Here's one way to do it:

- Find a quiet room where you won't be disturbed. Turn off cell phones, music, etc. If the doorbell rings, ignore it.

- Sit in a chair, like a folding or straight backed chair--not a lounger or padded chair for relaxing. Sit up straight--don't slouch. Keep both feet on the floor. Rest your hands on your thighs.

- Close your eyes partway, and keep your gaze soft. Try not to look around--just focus somewhere vaguely in front of you.

- Breathe. Pay attention to your outbreath. Other than that, try to let your mind simply simmer down. If you start to think of things, just notice that you're thinking, let the thoughts go, and simmer down. They'll probably come up again, but every time they do, just notice them and let them go.

- It's helpful to set a timer of some sort to let you know when 10 minutes are up. Something with a soft chime, though--an alarm clock would be a bit much! But you don't want to be watching the clock all the time to see how much time, how much longer, blah blah blah.

- When time is up, return to your regular activities slowly. Stretch a bit, drink some water, go on about your day.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #4  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

yoga! or just try to get some quiet time alone
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #5  
girl toward svelte

Thanks you guys! I do have a morning/evening yoga dvd that I enjoy - I think I'll try that again in the evenings to calm myself.

Jay - thank you so much for the detailed explaination, I will try it! I really an determined to triumph, and I know I need to be in control to do so.
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

iTunes has many free meditation podcasts that you could download to an ipod or even to your computer. Search for a gal by the name of 'stin'....hers are very basic, short and helpful.
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #7  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

just thought of this too...relaxtation music! just a thought...
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #8  
Amy

S/C/G: 328/see ticker/170

Height: 5' 8"

Here is a site I came across that gives examples of different meditations (not that I use it myself--shame on me):

http://www.feedback.nildram.co.uk/ri...ationindex.htm

Amy
oreokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #9  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

The tape/CD..... "Letting Go of Stress" by Emmett Miller and Steven Halperin is the best I've ever heard... and I've had many.... It has 4 different experiences; Muscle Tension/Relaxation, Autogenic Stress Relief (yogic breathing), Mental and Physical Relaxation, and my absolute fav... A Trip To The Beach... I actually can feel the warm sand at my toes with this one.... he has a great soothing voice and the background music is wonderful... I found it on Amazon... its my third copy of it in 15 years because I wear them out...... its 10/15 dollars or so...
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #10  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Thought this may help.......

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...emmett+miller+
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #11  
girl toward svelte

You guys are amazing!!!