Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Default Worldly Chicks adamantly abstaining and active in Athens for April

Well here we are. It's not quite April yet - even here, but I'm on my way to bed and there didn't seem to be a better time - even if Ruth is up and at 'em already - must be the accountant in her - everything is accounted for by the end of the month!

Wasn't too impressed by the building we got this time. Doesn't look so hot from the outside! Bit of a fixer upper if you ask me. It's only about 400 years old too! Don't make em like they used to!!

But the view is great. Take a look out the window. Don't think I would stand on the balconey if I were you. Let me get it checked out first.

Athens - have fun. We've a lot to achieve this month.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:33 AM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

I don't know ladies - all this talk of home renovations last month and she goes and gets us a "fixer upper" building. Think there's any relation to that?

Anyway, I agree - the view is spectacular. I have always said I'd live in a trashbag and cardboard box if only I could live on the beach, listening to the surf.

Thanks for getting us here Shad. It's going to be a good month for all of us. I can just feel it.

The floor people are coming this afternoon to take up the old floor. I sure hope that they ordered the new one The new front door is at the store waiting for pick up and in true fashion with the service down here, we have not heard a peep from the man who is supposed to install it. I told DH I did not want the floor ripped out for weeks on end. He stopped at the store yesterday to see what is going on as they are the ones who subcontract installation but the main guy wasn't there. Would also like to get this done before rainy season gets here - and it seems like it's on the doorstep - to minimize tracking yuck throughout the house.

We must be getting more weather as I have a big headache this morning and am feeling poorly. Didn't sleep well either. It's like you're on the verge of coming down with something.

DH bless his heart - decided to come with me to the shelter yesterday. Mind you it was a rainy day and all the cats were passed out. Some of them were lying entwined with one another - it was so cute. They all woke up when we walked in - something to entertain them I suppose. We cleaned and swept and petted and played. I think they enjoyed it.

And now it's time to get to work and earn some money for all I spent this weekend.

Happy Monday ladies - enjoy the Greek Isles - no uzo (sp?) until this afternoon
Old 03-31-2008, 09:55 AM   #3  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Good morning ladies -

Or should I say Uuumpah (sp?) ! Thanks, Shad, for the gorgeous photo of the Acropolis! I'm not familiar with greek food, except for baklava - please chickies don't let me even start eating that! I won't be able to stop.

Sorry about not checking in over the weekend. Just enjoying the last couple days on the beach in Maui. Actually, I started feeling a bit under the weather Saturday afternoon, nothing serious and I'm feeling fine now. I think I just needed a weekend of R&R, except for the occasional load of laundry! I did get a great workout on Friday! 45 minutes of cardio and 1/2 hour weights. I love how energized I feel after a great workout!! I had a really good scale this am. : I'm down another 2.5 pounds, for a total of 20.5!!

CeeJay - So nice that you had a pleasant visit with your sister and her family! And you get to see her in a month or so! That's wonderful!

Rennie - I just love living out in the country. I live in a small subdivision, but just at the end of my street is a dairy farm and about a mile down the road is a horse ranch. Lots of family farmers around me. But we're only 5 minutes from grocery stores, hardware stores and even a couple department stores. Have to drive 1/2 hour to get to a mall though. But that's okay. I've got everything I really need very close by.

Shad - Kitties just don't like to take pills. No way, no how. I hope she'll be done with her antibiotics soon. Shad, I agree with you about getting to the gym. It's something that I have to do. I don't always enjoy the exercising while I'm doing it, but I really like how I feel afterwards! And I'm really enjoying the results - both in terms of weight and blood sugar! That's so awesome that you are now in a size 12 from a size 18! :congratulations: Exercise really does take off the inches. I can definitely see the difference in how I look, and while I am still quite fat/overweight, I am looking better than I used to. Thank you SO much for all the great info about the Barrier Reef and for the photo! What a marvelous place! Are there any fishes or salties out by the Reef that like to nibble on humans? While I don't fancy being a meal or even a snack, but still I hope that DH and I can get there one of these years. Would you mind PMing me Patty's phone number, please? I'd love to give her a call. Thanks! As for going green and organic, Aus, NZ, Canada and so many other parts of the world seem to be doing much better and embracing it more than the US. I agree with Happy that the USofA seems more like the USofG - US of Greed.

Mel - Glad the eyes are doing a little better. I hope your eye doc appt. goes well.

Patty - I'm so glad you're back! I've missed you! I know you've had a very rough month. I hope you're doing better and I look forward to hanging out with you in Athens!

Happy - You had a rainy weekend and we're getting our rain today and tomorrow. Up to 3 inches. There are worries about flooding near rivers. Hopefully there won't be any damage like down south has experienced. I hear ya' on all the yard work to be done. I don't even want to think about that. I've still got a bunch of inside work to do. I had hoped to get some stuff done this weekend, but just didn't feel very good, so nothing much got done. New door, new floor and new glasses?! Definitely spending the bankroll! Are you working from home while your contractors are doing the floor? That would be great! Maybe noisy, but at least you are there if they have questions or something. Hey Happy, maybe you and your DH could start a hippie astronomy commune. And me and my DH will come join ya'! What d'ya' think? Please post photos of your flowers when they bloom. I think we're a month or two before anything starts blooming here. I've fallen a little behind on my 100 Days...just the writing, not the reading. I'm sticking so closely to eating foods that are OP that I'm not eating much filler...though I am much more aware whether I'm eating out of emotional or physical hunger. I'm also reading Linda's other book "Life is Easy; Food is Hard", which I would highly recommend. It really delves deeper into emotional eating. Good for you for keeping up with the volunteering at the Humane Society, and good for your DH for joining you! I'm sure the kitties really appreciate your love, your care and your dedication to them. I totally commend you for getting into Flylady. I found that really hard to stick with, but maybe once I get my house in shape for my MIL's visit I'll be able to keep it up using Flylady. Although in my straightening and organizing, I cleaned up a major hot spot last weekend and it has stayed clean for a week!

Ruth - Glad you enjoyed your quilting class. My stepmother makes lovely quilts. She even made me and my sister each a quilt out of or father's ties after he passed away. It's a lovely and interesting piece of art and a precious heirloom for us. I'd love to see photos of your quilts. My stepmother has been encouraging me to try quilting, but I haven't found the time yet. Maybe after I get done spring cleaning, which I hope to finish before next winter! I think it's great that you're going to check out the program Holly is doing. I've learned that everyone needs to find a program/philosophy that resonates with them. We're all individuals and certainly programs are not one size fits all!

Carla - Glad you had a nice stay in Victoria and that your job went well.

Holly - I had a good chuckle when you said your DH didn't turn off the hockey game. Good for you on doing so well on your program and doing lots of journaling!

A big Hi to anyone I may have missed.

Here's to a great week for all of us!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:04 PM   #4  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Hidee Hooo Girlie Girls...........

Hmmm, missed my flight to Athens and had to go stand-by, which was quite all right as I sat next to the hunkiest hunk and fantasized the entire flight. ;^) I can dream...

Shad...I know what you mean about animals that don't cooperate and bite and claw at you. We call our Jack Russel HELLA DOG. I did give her a bath over the weekend and she only snapped once.

Ruthie...wish I lived close, I love quilts and would love to learn how.

Happy...it is rainy and damp here, however it is SUPPOSED to get to 60 degrees today. Come on sun.

Carla....Nothing like Re-grouping after a trip. Takes me days to get back in the routine.

Diyana - Goddess of Exercise...stay away from the baklava, besides it has ants all over it.

Holly....glad you are getting to write, I know you love that, and are so good at it.

Hello to everyone I missed too!!

It was a lovely weekend. Spend Saturday cleaning up yard of trash and dog do do. There is the cutes 3 mo old boxer that moved in next door. Brown and white, named Lilly. Bella, the hella dog ran up and down the fence with her for about 4 hours on Saturday then came in a passed out. Hella Dog is 8 yrs old but thinks and acts like she is a puppy.

Saw the move "Drillbit Taylor" w/Owen Wilson. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Some people were laughing, I only broke a small smile here and there. It is definitely a rental movie. Thank the Lord we went to the 5 buck before noon movie to see it.

Spent yesterday afternoon with my momma and poppa. 78 & 80 respectively. We (DS & DD) played cards with them till everyone got to arguing. I just laughed at them all, it was so dang funny to me. DD accused Dad of cheating, so hilarious. He wasn't and DD was just teasing him.

Went to bed at 9, woke up at 2:30, couldn't sleep so watched 2 episodes of MASH and 1 episode of Beverly Hillbillies before I could get back to sleep then alarm went off at 5. I could sleep then. Hit the snooze like no other.

Well, it is lunch time, gotta go do some errands. Have a Marvelous Monday Ladies.

Love and Hugs
Old 03-31-2008, 12:53 PM   #5  

Just stopping in for a quick whine... (And so Shad, Mel, Ruth or anybody can give me a smack where it counts).
WHY does a @#$%ing number make so much difference to me?
I knew I was fat before I got on the scale this morning. But the number was up almost 10 pounds... which, of course explains why I'm not feeling BETTER as far as lets and joint pain goes... but aside from that.... why does the numerical change make me think I should go stand in front of a bus?
No I'm not going to DO that... but the mental pain of thinking that is just as bad as the other.

DH asked me yesterday, in jest (after I cussed out a TV ad for lap band surgery -- the speaker seemed smug and it made me mad) "You think you might have an issue about your weight?"

Well, D'oh.
Cripes. Tearfully -- and back to "anorexic thinking" i.e., don't deserve to eat.

Sorry to scare those of you who know my chosen profession. All I can say, I guess is that it takes one to know one.

But here's a painting I did (more of a self portrait than you might know)... when I had more self acceptance on board.

Off to the line at the post office.

Last edited by PainterWoman; 03-31-2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add link to image
Old 03-31-2008, 01:29 PM   #6  
Smackin' into a Wall

Darlings... just a check in to let you know that I didn't miss the flight to Athens, but they did seem to have misplaced my luggage.

I am going to try to make it here a bit more often and I'm also thinking of going back to journal again. I was once a success story and now I'm just another "Beautiful Loser" (thanks to Leonard Cohen for the term), actually I would be happy if I was a beautiful loser. But I seem to be a beautiful “think about it but never actually lose any weight –er” these days. It’s so stupid. I know what to do; I just, well, I’m not doing it.

Painter, there is no black and white thinking here within breathing distance of the Parthenon. See how the golden light warms the ancient marble? Socrates and Plato tread across these floors and here we can celebrate not only the body but the mind as well. I know what you mean and though I’ll say “It’s just a number” doesn’t mean that I don’t understand the urge to go stand in front of a bus myself on occasion. Just remember that you are more than just a number on a scale. Courage woman! No one who can paint like that should feel bad about themselves.

Last edited by Madcat; 03-31-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:50 PM   #7  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Thought I would pop in and say hello. Sorry I haven't been around the last couple of days. Have had a busy weekend taking down winter drapes and putting up summer curtains. It is amazing how long that takes not that it is that much work.

Chat later
Old 03-31-2008, 02:47 PM   #8  
Annie - Indiana

Oh Rennie....I NEVER take down winter drapes and put up summer curtains. It is the same drapes/curtains till they get replaced. hahaha

Painter...give yourself a break. Altho the picture made me laugh. You do NOT look like that, get back in the truck and get focused. Extra Hugs to you, my friend.

Love and Hugs
Old 03-31-2008, 03:24 PM   #9  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Well sure Rennie - the idea of just swapping curtains seems like no big deal except it involves 1)finding the step stool, 2)up the stool, take down winter curtains 3), down the stool, grab dust cloth and window cleaner. 4) up the stool, wipe woodwork and clean glass. 5) down the stool, go back and get the paper towels 6) up the stool, see dust bunnies on high woodwork and fan, decide to get the duster thingee on the stick. 7) down the stool, pick up duster thing and more window cleaner and towels. 8) up the stool, clean windows. 9)down the stool, see streaks on windows, decide to try to clean them with newsprint. 10) go find old newspapers 11)up the stool, clean windows with newspaper 12) down the stool - still streaks, go get vinegar water. 13) Windows finally clean, down the stool and get the new curtains. 14) up the stool, hang them. 15) down the stool, admire work. 16) look at curtains with cocked head, decide they need some pressing. 17) up the stool, grab curtains, wonder where the iron and ironing board is. 18) down the stool, grab ironing board, plug in iron. 19) iron curtains, back up the stool to hang them again. 20) down again, decide they don't look "crisp enough", pull them back down, add water to iron for steam (unplug iron FIRST). 21) give them the once over, hang again. 22) admire your handiwork and realize that you hung one of them outside in on the curtain rod 23) FINALLY get it right. By now it's 3 hours later, you're exhausted and you're wondering why Chalk it up to a good workout!

Madcat - great to see you again. Journal as in journal your food or journal as in 3FC journal? Either way, like it or not it's pretty obvious to me that you have to write stuff down and do the dreaded planning if you are going to be successful. Or at least then you know why you did have a problem.

Painter - that's quite an interesting painting. I am strangely fascinated by the belly button. Good job. And I'm sorry the scale was unkind but!!!! you need to follow the Bob Greene thing. Weigh once and then put the silly thing in the bottom of DH's car trunk. Then get your notebook out and plan your meals. Very thoroughly plan your meals with healthy things in good portions as well as working out some occasional treats. Your objective should be to just get this day right. Don't worry about tomorrow at this point. Just today you're going to eat what you planned. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 healthy small snacks. If eating out is a temptation then for this week, make a vow to yourself that you won't eat out. Each time you are about to put something in your mouth - ask yourself - can I make a better choice than this? If the answer is yes, then do it. If the answer is yes I can but I doan wanna, then put yourself in timeout for 15 minutes and try again later. We all know that we give the scale too much power and there is this permission / failure thing that we have going on that says when we fail, we give ourselves the authorization to get mad, be bad and get all pouty over it.

I promise that if you do this for just 1 week, I will do it right along with you. Ok?

Annie - Do you have Michael's craft stores out your way? They give classes all the time. Might be able to pick up some quilting tips there. I've also seem them as special education/community education offerings. Maybe there's one close by right around the corner. I agree with you - the quilts are gorgeous and I always admire them when I see them in stores and craft shows.

Michelle - got a laugh out of your comment of finishing the spring cleaning before next winter I can sooooo relate to that! And to you on 20 pounds down - WOWIE KAZOWIE - that is fabulous take a bow girl!

Ok, lunch break is over - back to work for me too.

Last edited by happy2bme; 03-31-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #10  
Annie - Indiana

Thanks Happy, and we do have Michaels here. I would also love to take knitting lessons. I can crochet, but not knit.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:52 PM   #11  
Rennie

happy
I feel so much better now with that great workout I got and I didn't even know it lol.

Annie
Mother never did either. I think when I left home the same set of curtains was still on the window from when I was 8 years old lol.

Painter
I happen to like your painting.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM   #12  
Rennie

happy
I feel so much better now with that great workout I got and I didn't even know it lol. I have not cleaned windows yet, it isn't warm enough to pull them out and clean them and then put them back in yet but I did get all the wood work done.

Annie
Mother never did either. I think when I left home the same set of curtains was still on the window from when I was 8 years old lol.

Painter
I happen to like your painting.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:01 PM   #13  
Creating a Healthier Me

Hey ladies --

Super duper quick check in before I leave for the gym.

Annie - Bella sounds like quite a handful and a lot of fun! Just like Bella ran along the fence with Lilly, my 3 Miniature Schnauzers run along the fence with our neighbor's dachshund. They have a blast! Thanks for the warning about the ants on the Baklava! I would love to learn how to quilt, crochet and knit. I love crafts - I just don't know how to do many of them. I wish you lived closer, and you could teach me how to crochet!

Painter - As the other chickies have said, don't give the scale that much power. I step on the scale only as a guideline. If it's up - I see if it's TOM, or what other reasons (too much salt, etc.) or do I need to watch portions more closely. If you are doing all the right things...planning healthy meals and snacks and sticking to eating them, then you know you're doing right by yourself. We just gotta keep doing the best we can for ourselves, and make better choices when we can. Please don't be so hard on yourself. To paraphrase Madcat, no one who is so talented should feel bad about themself.

Madcat - Welcome back! It's really easy to know what to do - I've known what I needed to do for years. Finally, I just started doing - of course, it took my doc telling me that I now have a disease which can't be cured but can only be controlled (and I'm hoping to do that without meds).

Rennie - I'm with Annie...same curtains year round! So you got way more exercise than me this weekend.

Happy - Thanks for the kind words. I had set a goal of being down 20 before I see the doc on 4/18; now I'm hoping for 25. Either way....I think he'll see from my weight, blood sugar and (hopefully) lower cholesterol that I'm taking this seriously and I WILL get healthy.

Well, gotta get to the gym!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:07 PM   #14  
Creating a Healthier Me

Forgot to mention...

Painter - I love your painting. It's gorgeous. It reminds me of the Goddess Venus of Willendorf (one of the earliest ancient Goddess images that archaeologists have found). She was back in the day when being a little curvy was a good thing. So chickies....take a look at the pic below of Venus of Willendorf. Do you have the body of a Goddess! I know I do!! :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg venuswillendorf.jpg (7.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #15  

Maybe I should change my avatar to Willendorf!
Thanks for "listening", y'all. I stayed "on plan" and am off to see late in the day clients. I guess I'll live.
Closed Thread