Old 03-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #1  

Unhappy Please help!

I am starting today on the long road to losing 50 pounds. I really want to do it this time. I have a problem though....I HATE VEGGIES! I would rather not eat then to eat them. Its so hard to lose weight because the things that are good to eat whendieting I hate. I really need some help. Please someone, anyone. Give me some help! What can I eat??
Hischild777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:57 AM   #2  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

what veggies can you tolerate, what ones do you absolutely hate, and do you like beans at all. i think if you let us know what kinds of veggies you can handle, it will help people give you ideas
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:30 PM   #3  
SkinnyGina

Height: FiveSix

It may sound silly but there are a couple of cookbooks that are specifically designed to "hide" veggies. I usually eat salads but if you can not eat salads I would suggest looking into these cookbooks. The recepies range and will teach you to make meals like brownies, mash potatoes and various other meals with "hidden" veggies in it.

I use to dislike veggies to but once you adjust to eating healthy your body will start to crave them. I know it probably sounds weird hearing this but I used to "hate" veggies and could not imagine eating them. Now I look forward to the veggies, they are the favorite part of my meal You will adjust as well just give yourself time! Oh yeah, look into soups, thats a good way to get veggies as well.
SkinnyGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:28 PM   #4  

The veggies that I can tolerate are; lettuce, carrots, corn, and I can eat Broccoli
but only if it has no crunch to it whatsoever. I appreciate your help, you guys are awesome!
Hischild777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #5  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

What about soup? Can you tolerate vegetables in soup? Try a pureed broccoli soup and hide a few vegetables in the broccoli puree. Add lots of seasoning. I know several kids who don't like vegetables but will eat vegetable soup.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #6  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

somedays i "drink my veggies" to get them in. i make a ton of veggie soup. also i make black beans alot! easy quick and cheap:

can of black beans
can of rotel tomatos (or any other kind of diced tomatos if rotel is 2 spicy)
dehydrated onions to taste
2 packs of splenda
1 can of fat free chicken broth

mix all in a pan and cook till the flavors "marry" (heard that once and used it ever since)

very quick and tasty
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGina View Post
It may sound silly but there are a couple of cookbooks that are specifically designed to "hide" veggies.
I've got the two "popular" veggie-hiding books and I endorse them. I hate vegetables and if I'm forced to eat them, it's not an eating plan I will stick with because I will be miserable. I sneak mine into food. I don't get ALL the veggies I should, but I get a lot more.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #8  
I will do this.

How do you feel about V-8? Personally I cannot stand it....but I know there is alot of good stuff in there.

Soup is also a good idea.....or how about a homemade salsa to eat with carrots or whole wheat crackers?
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #9  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Hischild
Hello again.

We need 3 servings of veggies a day. I want you to sit a min and think about what I am saying. This journey we are taking isn't about losing weight, that is a side effect of what we are doing for our selfs. We are eating a healthy diet that will make changes to our body's that last a life time. We change how we look at THINK about and EAT. Which do you hate more being over weight or veggies
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy Moment View Post
Hischild
Hello again.

We need 3 servings of veggies a day. I want you to sit a min and think about what I am saying. This journey we are taking isn't about losing weight, that is a side effect of what we are doing for our selfs. We are eating a healthy diet that will make changes to our body's that last a life time. We change how we look at THINK about and EAT. Which do you hate more being over weight or veggies
I liked that response. It is so true. I'm on this other forum and there's this thread about being overweight and this and that. And a few members have said that diets are terrible things. So, I piped in and related my example, a friends and my mothers. And asked what's so bad about them? The good diets teach people a new way of life because the old one made them miserable. I've been on the south beach for a work. I feel GREAT! I'm losing weight, my DH is losing weight. It's AWESOME!!!
He hates veggies also. He'll eat it if I set it in front of him, but not by himself...
And since his body isn't used to all that fiber, he's had gas, bloating, and other things. Its getting better though, and I think by the time phase1 is over, he'll be over it.
Just stick the veggie part out! You can do it!

Last edited by tdiprincess; 04-03-2008 at 11:11 AM.
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #11  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

tdi
If what you are doing is healthy then I think it is a great plan. Of course I want to lose weight but as I said that is a side effect. WHAT A GREAT SIDE EFFECT. I want to be healthy. I eat the required amounts of the four basic food groups because the body needs them. I exercise because no longer do we live life styles that we beat our clothes on rocks to get them clean nor do we ( most of us anyway ) walk behind horses to plow the fields. Our body's were not meant to sit all the time. I have always hung my clothes out on the line instead of tossing them in the dryer during warm months. There are so many ways to give the body exercise.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

What about zucchini and summer squash? You can shred them and make "pancakes" (like potato pancakes). You can steam them and mash them up. You can saute them as part of a stir fry. You can grill them on the grill (my favorite).

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
What about zucchini and summer squash? You can shred them and make "pancakes" (like potato pancakes). You can steam them and mash them up. You can saute them as part of a stir fry. You can grill them on the grill (my favorite).

I like the Zucchini/Squash Idea. If you read my blog you'll see that Zucchini has become my #1 favorite food!!!! I never really looked at either of these foods as "filling" but I'm finding them to be super filling and a great way to give me more volume in my dishes. Zucchini tends to take on the flavors of the food it's cooked with. I'd definetly give it a shot!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/207/165

Height: 5'8"

I'm new to the site and am trying to lose about 20 lbs to start with I love beans but I also love starchy foods to but I'm trying to cut them out.
thanks for letting me vent. this site has been very helpful.
bettyboop56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #15  
Getting back on track...

S/C/G: 195.2/see ticker/167

Height: 5' 8.75"

I am the same way...for some reason veggies are just NOT a priority for me. Or should I say, were not. When I started trying to eat better, I obviously figured out that veggies are a huge part of that. So I knew I had to do something.

So here are my strategies:
1) hide veggies...I like beans a lot, and beans are thick and creamy, so you can hide other small pieces of veggies in bean soup, refried beans, etc.

2) Bargain with myself. As in, the carrots first, the bite of chocolate next. Be careful, though...you don't want to override your healthy veggies with unhealthy treats. I use fruit, a small piece of dark chocolate, a serving of trail mix, etc. as a reward for eating a certain amount of vegetables. This works well at work, when I am frequently faced with raw vegetables. I'll tell myself "eat 10 baby carrots, then you get a bite of chocolate." And it works!

3)Decide I like it. For example, tonight I ate salad for dinner...a beautiful salad of looseleaf greens, red bell pepper, and a little feta cheese for protein. I was not looking forward to it. But I told myself "Just start eating it, and think about what you like or don't like about it AFTERWARD." Sometimes I know I have a problem of deciding I don't like something before I really give it a chance. My salad tonight was delicious. THere were some textural issues (believe it or not, most of the reason why I hate veggies is b/c of textures) but I just forced my way through. My reward? One serving of fresh crusty Italian bread.

4) Stick with what you like. I can handle cooked carrots, wax beans, peppers, thinly sliced squash, broccoli, peas, corn, beans, and cauliflower. More often than not, when I know I need to eat veggies I will just eat some of those. While it is awesome to try new things and to push yourself a little, there's no point in trying to push farther than you can really go...you'll just end up feeling deprived and then not eat the veggies at all. So I would say, start keeping a list of the veggies you try, and note the ones that you could handle. That way when you're grocery shopping you have something to refer to.

Good luck! :-)
leela0730 is offline   Reply With Quote