Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 03:33 PM   #1  

Default need help to lose 75 lbs

Hi I am new here and I desperately need to lose the weight. I have 3 children and I look after 2 more. I need someone who will help keep me motivated and who knows how hard it is to exercise regularly when you have to tend to your childrens needs.
I am also a good listener and would like to help anyone else who has the same lifestyle.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:33 PM   #2  

Default Totally understand

I have 2 children myself (5yo and 2yo) and teach first grade full time. I totally understand how you feel about time to exercise. I need to lose about 30 lbs. Time (or lack there of), has always been the reason I haven't lost the baby weight.

Luckily I am going on my first summer vacation ever (use to teach year round) and get the time I need to exercise soon. Only 2 more days to go! My babysitter is fantastic. She has no problem watching my son in the mornings so I can go walking. I'll even have the opportunity to have him stay the whole day if I need him too. My daughter goes to preschool, so that will stay the same. I have to keep paying for it anyway!

Do you have anyone to help watch your kids for some walking time in the evenings? My hubby will watch them if I ask. My walking at night has kept my weight at bay. I can easily eat my way up the scale if I didn't walk.

Nice to hear from someone in the same lifestyle as me! Good luck!

Heidi
Old 06-04-2002, 08:57 AM   #3  

Thanks for repling HeidiL. You asked if there is anyone who could watch the kids for me to go for a walk. The answer is no. We live on a farm and he is usually out until 10:00 pm and he leaves in the morning around 6:00 am. His family are all to busy to help me out and there are not any babysitters around for the kids to be looked after. I have to find other ways to exerise.
I am not finished work until the end of June. So I still have some time before I can make time for myself.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Old 06-06-2002, 12:44 AM   #4  

I'm sorry about the lack of help. Some days I am stuck in this house with no help either, because hubby wants to go out to the bar, or go cigar smoking with his buddies. I have no time for friends. Some days I have just enough energy to flop into bed, but I guess that doesn't count as exercise, huh?

Today was my last day of school, and I just know the kids are now going to get sick. Something always gets in the way of me trying to lose weight. I'm crossing my fingers I can really get serious about exercising this summer. I want this so bad! I've waited so long to have some time for myself. I'm about to go nuts!

I guess all mothers go through this. My mom always makes fun of me cause I call my kids my little "lifesuckers". But that's what they are! But I love them anyway! I can't remember life any other way. Or could I live my life without them.

Talk to you later!
Heidi
Old 06-06-2002, 01:42 PM   #5  

Hi HeidiL, I know what you mean. My husband said he would do things for me but what happens his buddies come over and they start to drink so I get nothing done. Especially no exercising!
Do your children go to bed late? Can you have time for yourself after they go to bed? My routine is they go to bed at 8:00 and they can read or sleep but after that it is my time. Even for my baby she knows that it is bedtime and that mommy has things to do. The only thing is there is no time for exercising just clean-up and laundry. I am not doing to bad on watching what I eat and drinking water. I have lost 10 lbs since Sunday! What are you doing to lose those 30 lbs?
Take Care, TF3
Old 06-07-2002, 03:22 PM   #6  

TF3!

I have heard many women talk about this in my work, so I thought I would share some ideas.

How old are the kids? Can they handle being outdoors with you, like taking walks around your property or starting a small garden? Your kids can help if they are old enough and the bending and tending to something like that will help. The idea is to get as much activity during the day, so play games outside like chase or dancing. If you are stuck indoors, cleaning is even helping you burn calories.

If 8pm is your time, then take 20 minutes from 8-8:20 to do a stronger workout. During this time maybe you can find exercises to do while in the house (lunges, push-ups, sit-ups, squats, etc.) if your husband won't watch the kids during this time. That way you are nearby. If he gives you the time, perhaps a faster pace walk outdoors will help? Jump rope is also a great way to get your heart rate up and you seem to have the space on your farm to do these things. Or take over the TV in the living room for 30 minutes to try different exercise tapes. Magazines like Shape and Self always seem to have great inserts for toning exercises and they have always been helpful for women who want to exercise but have little time.

I think if you get your kids involved in the activities like walking outdoors or playing ball outdoors, you will help yourself and them in the long run.

Hope this helps!!!

Good Luck,

Ressey

Old 06-07-2002, 08:10 PM   #7  

Thanks Ressey for the ideas! Unfortunately for the small garden we have not done our landscaping yet and I can't do a garden. I miss doing all my vegetables. I have been taking walks with the children but they tire fast. Their ages are 7, 5, 1 1/2 years old. We have a lot of hilly land which is great for me but not good for the kids. I think for the summer months I will put a TV out in the garage and do my exercises there when the kids go to bed. There is lots of room and it will be cooler out there too. Summer is a lot easier with swimming, camping, walking etc. Winter is hard because our weather is bad and there really isn't much here for us to do.
Thanks for the advice and as soon as the landscaping is done I will plant our garden.
Hi HeidiL, I hope everything is ok with you, take care and don't forget to smile!!! TF3
Old 06-16-2002, 11:22 PM   #8  

I just got back from a week long trip to the beach, with the kids. It was like home with a view. They wore me out! I got to go on some hilly walks with strollers, that was a plus, but not everyday. And I ate like a pig! A pig on vacation. That's me!

Now I'm back and I want to get serious. I'm sending the kids to day care and preschool because I deserve it. I'm not going to feel guilty about it, I'm just going to do it. There has to be a way I can lose 20 lbs, and I'm going to find it before school starts and I have to go back to work. (Boy does that sound selfish. Don't tell anyone I said that!)

The kids are driving me nuts. Do they have to be so demanding? And if I hear the word "no!" again, I'm going to pull my hair out! I need a break! Do your kids have this affect on you too? Just curious of it's all normal. I love them dearly, but somedays I want to scream!

I'm smiling!

Heidi
Old 06-17-2002, 01:03 PM   #9  

Hi everyone, I thought the thread was no more. Glad to hear from you HeidiL. That is great that you got to go on vacation. Walking is consider exercise so good for you! You said that you ate like a pig. What types of food did you pig out on? If it was veggies and lower fat foods that is good.
I don't think you are being selfish at all. You do need to take time out for yourself. It is not for long and you know sometimes the kids need a break from you. My two older children just love going to school because they get away from me and they can spend time with their friends. Don't feel guilty at all because them going to preschool is good for them. Socialization, independance all the things they need to learn from the world.
Even though I am a preschool teacher and I also love my children they do sometimes drive me batty. My children say "I'm bored" and my youngest says "No". Nap time is my break.
For getting serious on the program make sure and you are going to get tired of me saying this but drink your water. Measure it out in bottles and then you will know how much you have to drink that day. It has worked for me! I watch what I eat and write down everything. I am going to lose it very slowly but I am hoping then it will stay off forever. Take care and keep smiling, Lisa
Old 06-19-2002, 05:58 PM   #10  

I have such a headache today. I'm trying to get a lot done around the house, but I have to keep giving myself breaks to rest my head. Ouch!

I started working with weights again today. I walk up and down an overpass by my house with 3 lbs weights, and I can really feel it working my heart. Now if I can only get myself to stop thinking about food all the time. My plan is to not cut any particular food out, just eat smaller portions. The "eat less, move more" philosophy is what I follow, if I follow any plan at all. Once I start denying myself anything, it's all I think about. I can't rest until I have it. So, I'm not going to deny anything, maybe this way I won't be so obsessed. Ya think? So I have to tell myself to stop eating and keep busy.

Now that I'm not working, (summer break), I have more time to exercise, but also more time to eat. When I am working, I have less time to exercise, and less time to eat. It's like a catch-22 thing. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. How do I keep that balance?

How's the exercise going with you, toofat3? Do you ever have time to do videos? Strength training is the best, when combined with cardio. Maybe have a few videos handy while the kids nap or bedtime? If you can't get out, this can be a way to get that heart rate up. Do you have a step? Stepping can be really fun if with the right music. Do it with weights and it's a bonus!

Talk to ya soon,
Heidi
158/158/130ish

Last edited by HeidiL; 06-19-2002 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:55 PM   #11  

Sorry, I didn't read through everything and didn't see the ages of your kids, so I don't know if this is any help at all ... For my small one, I hate strollers so I use a baby backpack - helps add resistance to my workout!
Closed Thread