Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 153/120

Height: 5' 4"

Default A couple of more push up questions

I have been doing stair pushups after my chest press and other UB work.
1. On Krista's site she says you can do them everyday but I thought your muscles needed 48 hours to recover?
2.Also, on Krista's site, I noticed that her elbows flare out a bit, but in the NROL4W AC says to keep your elbows tucked in.
How important is this? They are way harder without letting them flare out a bit.
Thanks

Last edited by KatieK; 03-30-2008 at 09:28 AM.
KatieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

What Krista is saying is practice makes perfect but she isn't saying do an upper body workout every day. She says do a few pushups every day but not a lot and she talks in terms of reps not sets of reps. So basicaly you aren't really stressing your muscles enough that you need a 48 hour recovery.

Also, regarding the form, I went and looked at the jpfitness forums and from what I read, tucking your elbows slightly helps save your shoulders and that the proper form is not to completely tuck your elbows (they can flare out) but they shouldn't be at a 90 degree angle. Although I'd have to go look at the book again. I also some threads on that site referencing Krista's pushup page as something to look at to learn pushups.

Edited to add -

I went and looked at the book and the book shows someone doing pushups with slightly flared elbows although the instructions say keep elbows close to the body. I'm guessing 'close' is relative?

Last edited by nelie; 03-31-2008 at 10:34 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 153/120

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks Nelie --very helpful.
KatieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I know I cannot do push-ups without flaring at least a little. I think it is more of a thing to be aware of then something that needs to be perfect.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #5  

Hi,

maybe one of the personal trainers knows more about it but as far as I understood it is also a question about which muscles you hit:
arms wide you hit the chest muscles most.
arms close to your body and elbows close to your body tou hit the triceps and shoulder more.

Since the triceps and shoulder muscles are smaller than the chest muscles, the pushups are harder.

That is what I thought, but I am absolutely no expert on this, so maybe one of the more knowledgeable posters can shed some light.

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote