South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #1  

Default getting started

Hey everyone

this is kind of mixing threads I suppose, but I am new here.

a little history I suppose.

I was always a skinny kid. When I hit high school a gained a little weight, and then freaked out (pressure from family, namely my dad calling me "fat and lazy") stopped eating and started running varsity track. I got down to 135 pounds, and lost my period for a year.

I binged and purged when people found out, then my eating got really out of control after some really bad stuff happened in my life. I am now a size 14 and 205 pounds (that number is nauseating to me).

I am trying to find a good diet, and I know lots of people who have lost weight on the South Beach diet. How do you get started? Anyone got any tips?
Crossfirechick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

The absolute best way to get started is to read the book! If you can't afford it, borrow it from the library. It really explains the principles of the plan and why the initial restrictions will help you in the long run. There is also a ton of great info in this forum, so poke around and read up on all the old threads!

We love having new friends. Pop in the daily thread any time and chat about your day, life, vegetable garden, whatever!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Crossfirechick85! The best advice I can give you regarding The South Beach Diet is to read the book thoroughly, as Kara pointed out. It's easy reading and explains in detail just how this diet works. We focus on eating lean meats and fish, wholegrains, vegetables and fruit. It starts with a 2 week induction period (Phase 1), where all grains and fruits are restricted. This helps to eliminate sugar and toxins from your body and gets your cravings under control. After that, you will gradually start re-intoducing wholegrains and fruits back into your daily diet (Phase 2.) You will be eating normal, healthy foods, and the diet is very easy to follow. Good luck!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I agree read the book then check out the stickies...
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/135/120

Height: 5'4"

Smile

I've been following the south beach diet since 2003 and find it the best way of eating for me. Its really important to remember that is is truly a lifestyle and not just a diet. Its not a program to go on only until you reach a certain goal weight and then go off of. It is a complete change in eating habits that are meant to last forever. Phase 1 and 2 are the weight loss phases and phase 3, the maintenance phase, lasts the balance of your life. The book is excellent at describing the science behind the diet. There have been some updates/additions since the book was published as well. My best advice for south beach, or any plan, is not to set unrealistic expectations. Weight loss on any good plan will average between .5 and 2 pounds per week. There will be weeks with no loss and as much as its dreaded, everyone sees a week with a slight gain - its all normal and to be expected. Its easy to want quick results but remind yourself, you did not gain 10 pounds a week, and you cant lose that much either. SB is all about good health and if you stay on the program, the health benefits are tremendous. Planning, patience and perserverance is what it takes. Good luck!
pounds off is offline   Reply With Quote