South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 123/116/110

Height: 4'11

Default fresh green beans

Ok, does anyone have a good recipe for fresh g. beans?? I bought some today at the store and wanted to make them tonight..

thanks
kbroyles3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #2  

This is how I most often fix fresh green beans. I do normally do most of the cooking of the beans and bacon in the microwave and then add them to the skillet with the onions, garlic and other stuff. Easy and very good.

GARLIC/MUSTARD GREEN BEANS

2+1/4 pounds fresh green beans
3 slices turkey bacon
1 medium onion, thinly sliced (about 1+1/4 cups)
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 teaspoons brown mustard
3/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning or 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Wash and trim fresh beans. Cook, covered, in very large saucepan with a small amount of boiling water for 20 to 25 minutes or until crisp/tender.

Meanwhile, cook bacon in skillet or microwave until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towels, crumble, and set aside. Cook onion and garlic in drippings over medium heat for 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in mustard, seasoning or pepper, and salt. cook about 30 seconds more. Toss beans with onion mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with bacon. Makes 12 side dish servings.

calories...41
total fat...1g
saturated fat...0
cholesterol ...1mg
sodium...170mg
carbs...7g
fiber...3g
protein...2g
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #3  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I like them plain, nothing added, either steamed or microwaved until they're tender.

I also like almost any veggie/veggie combination roasted. Preheat oven to 425. toss veggies with olive oil. Place in foil covered pan in a single layer, put pan in oven. Check at 20 minutes, toss/turn veggies, check every 5 minutes til they just start to have brown spots or they're done enough for you.

Last edited by WebRover; 03-26-2008 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I like to steam them to crisp tender, add a little vinaigrette of choice, and chill in the fridge. Great to grab for snacks.
Roasted are yummy too.
And green beans amandine, yum!
Barb, your recipe sounds good!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #5  
Roz

I cook some turkey bacon, crumble it up and add to the green beans. Along with this I add s&p, sliced onion and some Splenda. Simmer. I could eat this three times a day.
Roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #6  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

I like mine baked like Webrover. I put some fresh garlic on the beans and seasoning salt. So yummy.
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 164/156/123

Height: 5'2

I love em! Never thought of putting a little splenda on them. We just steam them with a little diet margarine, lots of fresh lemon juice and a handful of toasted almond pieces.
Oh and as I've told you before we like to add v8 to black beans. I think I will also cut up fresh steam green beans, onion, celery, chop tomatos, etc. to add to beans. This is so filling and cheaper and healthier than steak!
SAnativegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

I wash em and eat them raw YUM!! I have done this every since I was little, my gram used to save me some raw ones when she made her stews and what not...
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 AM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Jonsgurl, my DH loves 'em raw too, but I don't like them at all that way. He'll come by when I'm snapping off the ends and just grab one to pop in his mouth.

Y'all are SO healthy with eating them just steamed! Wow!

Kbroyles:
My basic thing is to snap off the ends and snap long ones in half, then rinse them. I then pop them in the microwave and cook on high until they're bright green. Steaming is a good method, too, but you lose nutrients that way. You lose the least nutrients by cooking in the microwave.

I've found that the moisture clinging to the beans from rinsing is enough for the micro--but I drain it off after. For a basic night, I'll add some Smart Balance (trans-fat-free margarine), seasoning salt, granulated garlic, and pepper.

Two other things I love:

Cook as described above and, after draining, add a tablespoon (or two, depending on how many beans you have) of olive oil, several teaspoons of balsamic vinegar, and a 1/4 cup of flavored feta cheese. Our Wegman's has Fat Free Mediterranean herbs flavored feta, but I'll sometimes even use the full fat, as it's a very small amount. The feta melts a little and it tastes divine! This is even yummier if you have some grape tomatoes on hand--slice a bunch of 'em in half and add them. Yummy!

I've posted my mom's awesome Balsamic Green Beans recipe in the Side Dishes-Phase 1 recipe forum (there are several yummy green bean recipes in there!). They include balsamic vinegar, lots of gahhhhhhrlick, and dijon mustard. Yum!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW 226/ CW217/ GW 145

Height: 5'4

I love to put some garlic and olive oil in a pan.. then blanch the beans for a minute or two.. throw them in with the garlic and olive oil and kinda stir fry them.. season to your taste ...I love them.. lots of garlic
mommamurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/248/170

I saute mine with chopped onion, garlic, olive oil spray, and fresh ground pepper. I top the green beans off with a couple of splashes of balsamic vinegar also while sauteing. Acutally I'm eating this for lunch with some chicken breast.
happi23 is offline   Reply With Quote