Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-26-2008, 11:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

Default Where do you find Shirataki Tofu noodles?

I have never seen them in any of my stores????
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

They are in the same area as the tofu, although I've only been able to find them at our local health food store.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:39 AM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

My Safeway sells them in the tofu section (which is off to the side of the produce area). I've been told that some Trader Joe's stock them, but I don't think I've ever seen them at my TJ's.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I had a really hard time finding them. My TJs does NOT sell them either (I asked), nor do any of the health food, speciality/high end marketes, or regular markets. Finally, I came to my senses and went to an asian grocery (about 15 minutes from my houses). I asked about them instead of looking, and he took me right to them and they had several different brands. I've been eating them since!

You've probably already heard this, but RINSE really well in colander, and then for good measure (to rid of smell), I have to boil mine for about 3 minutes too.

I bought several different brands at first - one mistake I made was to get one package that was sorta gray - even after boiling they smelled like fish. The guy told me they were exactly the same in taste, just different color for decorative purposes (?). Well, I checked the ingredients and the only thing they had that the white didn't was SEAWEED, hence the fishy smell/taste. I threw that batch away.

Good luck... an asian market may be your best bet too!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #5  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

I find mine at Whole Foods Market! Love them, but, heh, rinse well!
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

I'm from Ohio and I found them at the Meijers Department for $1.98 and now at Krogers for $1.69.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Asian markets are definitely the place to check. They will probably be cheaper there too.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

Ok, you scared me wth the smell thing! Are they really that good????
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #9  

When you open the package there is definitely a smell. I dump them in a colander and rinse well, then par boil for a few minutes. I am having the fettucine shaped ones right now with mushrooms, spinach, Laughing Cow light cheese and cottage cheese- all warm and melty. Very satisfying. Hungrygirl.com is a big fan (her recipes are on the back of the House brand ones). She advocates drying them well and nuking for a minute. Have not tried that yet. I also use the white/clear ones without tofu in soups. Bulk and texture with almost no calories and not alot of artificial stuff works for me. Give it a try. Oh- get mine at Asian markets.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

You should try them. I honestly don't notice any smell.

I tried them in the fake fettuccine alfredo recipe and really wasn't that impressed. But maybe the problem is that I didn't dry them--they came out really watery and the cheese got all runny. Also, I couldn't find the fettuccine shaped ones so I wasn't using the right noodle shape for the recipe.

I also tried them in soup and didn't feel like they added anything. But I do think they would work well in Asian-style noodle dishes. I definitely haven't given up on them yet; I think I just need to figure out the right way to prepare them.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 03-27-2008 at 07:07 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/158/130

Height: 5'5

I personally really don't like the fettuccine style ones. There's just something about the broadness that highlights the funny texture shirataki noodles have to begin with. The thinner versions, however, are absolutely lovely.

I get mine at an asian grocery store. It's sold in the refrigerated section near tofu.
beegoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #12  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
You should try them. I honestly don't notice any smell.

I tried them in the fake fettuccine alfredo recipe and really wasn't that impressed. But maybe the problem is that I didn't dry them--they came out really watery and the cheese got all runny. Also, I couldn't find the fettuccine shaped ones so I wasn't using the right noodle shape for the recipe.

I also tried them in soup and didn't feel like they added anything. But I do think they would work well in Asian-style noodle dishes. I definitely haven't given up on them yet; I think I just need to figure out the right way to prepare them.
I use them only in asian-style dishes such as stirfry. I rinse them really well, and soak them for a bit in garlic and terryaki or stirfry sauce and then saute with veggies (mushrooms, edamame, and the life) and more sauce. I don't stray to far off the reservation with them, but it makes for an incredibly filling meal.

And to the OP, I can't find them in any regular grocery store around here, only at Whole Foods. Though they may be hard to find, they are very inexpensive ($1.24 per bag).
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #13  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Hm, I never actually thought to look at an Asian market for those... *smacks forehead* DUH! Hahaha. Too bad I wasn't all that impressed with them when I got some from WF. I don't know, the texture threw me off. They were too... rubbery.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #14  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I found them in the health food section of my local grocery store (Hy-Vee).
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I hated them and they upset my stomach.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote