Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default This weeks healthiest food - Avocado

I love Avocados, I could eat them raw. I don't eat them often enough though because they tend to be expensive. I do have one in the fridge right now though waiting for me.

Food of the Week . . . Avocados
Did you know that the fats in avocados are actually good for you? If you have been confused about whether you should eat avocados because of their high fat content, let us help you put this issue to rest. Yes, avocados are high in fat, but their monounsaturated fats, like those found in olive oil, are heart-healthy. In fact, the American Heart Association encourages substituting the monounsaturated fats found in avocados, nuts and olive oil for many of the fats more commonly used by consumers. Researchers are also finding that some of the phytonutrients (plant nutrients) found in avocados may also help reduce cholesterol levels. So, remember that all fats are not created equal, and enjoy the delicious taste of avocados and their heart-healthy monounsaturated fats.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Mmmmm avocados!

I have one sitting in my fridge right now, too!!! Oh gosh, I could eat one every day. I usually end up having them once in awhile as a treat. I slice them up and then eat them plain. I just love them that much
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I love 'em!

This may sound like a weird combo, but I often slice a quarter avocado and eat it with a feta cheese egg white omelet. In fact, that's what I'm getting ready to eat for my brunch right now (I'm off work today). Yum.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Someone at work gave me 3 luscious avocados from a tree in their yard. I made the most incredible guacamole and have been enjoying it all weekend. I loooooove avocados.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I eat 1-2 avocados per week. 1/4 at a time. I put it on black bean chili, turkey burgers, in a tuna pita, taco salad. I make what I call a Southwest open face egg sandwhich. 1 toasted whole wheat english muffin, slice 1/4 avocado on the eng muffin, 2 eggs poached or hard boiled, topped with salsa that I warm a bit in the microwave (so it doesn't cool off my eggs). YUMMY!!! Avocados are my favorite!!!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Blech! Guess I won't be bothered with this one.

I do love this thread. I've learned quite a bit. But, since those things make me throw up, I'll pass.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #7  

I just had avocado, tomato and onion on toast! Delicious!

I used half the avocado and put the other half (with the pit still in it) in the fridge. I did sprinkle some lemon juice on it, but how long will it last like this? It's in a covered bowl.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I LOVE avocados!

When I was a kid my day would give us an avocado half with salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. We'd eat 'em with a spoon. I don't eat them like that too often now, but I do love them on sandwiches, salads, egg dishes etc. They are so yummy!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #9  
Recovering perfectionist

S/C/G: 250/ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up

Years ago there was a local chain of healthy soup/sandwich shops. Avocado and tomato was my fav from their offerings. They mashed the avocado, and put the tomato slices with alfafa sprouts on dark pumpernickel bread. Absolutely yummy!

"Someone at work gave me 3 luscious avocados from a tree in their yard. "
Glory, I am SOOOOO jealous!

Ti'an
Daffy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

They are easy to grow. Just take the pit, put some toothpicks into it and suspend them in a glass of water. It will eventually send up a shoot. You can then plant it in a container until it establishes itself. The plant in the yard. In a few years you'll be having those things.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

Unfortunately I'd need a greenhouse to properly care for an avocado tree with where I live. Oh... to eat fresh avocados grown right in my own yard...
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Well Glory lives in Seattle ... what gardening zone is that? Maybe if we tucked our trees into a sunny corner or dragged the big container in for the winter????
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #13  
No description available.

Avocados are my desert island food: if I was on a desert island and there was an avocado tree, I would eat happily ever after.

Love 'em plain, on sandwiches, on ANYthing!

My latest concoction is a baked potato with chopped turkey, red chile sauce, and 1/8 of an avocado. Yumm!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

midwife - I am totally with you on that!

My parents have 2 avocado trees but they said something happened to them or some thing? I don't know but it sounds like I won't get avocados when I go for a visit.

Avocados are also generally very cheap in CA and tend to be expensive elsewhere but are worth the price.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #15  
LLV

I'm an avocado FANATIC.

I love them just plain or sliced into salads and I even put avocado slices on my sandwiches. Wonderful on a turkey burger.

Except lately I just can't find a good one. I don't know if it's the season or what, but even though my grocery store has avocados every day, every single one I've brought home has been nasty on the inside, regardless of the color of the skin. Brown or bright green, they've all been horrible. And the organic ones are even worse (I've found that organic vegetables are in worse shape than non-organic).

So unfortunately I've given up buying them for a while.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote