Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #1  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Smile The lard has moved!

You may remember that I was a bit disappointed a couple of weeks back that in spite of my exercise on the treadmill and a lot of shoveling my weight did not go down at all. At that time, I got a new digital scale and my weight was 208.8.
Now I know I made a mistake by not weighing myself several times as I soon learned that if I step on the scale 5 times within 15 minutes, I will get at least 4 different readings.

Anyway, I weighed myself last week and it looked like I was slightly less and this morning, the scale gave me 204 (actually, three times it reported 203.4, then 204.2, then 204.0 so I figure 204 is the number to stick with).
I am very happy with this. It is not much, but I never planned to shed 10 lbs in a month (hats off to you who do that) and I am very elated that I finally started to lose.

Now I can add a weight ticker -
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Good girl!!!!! We need to quit obsessing an the scale so much. For me, scale watching is another addiction.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Ummm... jumping on and off the scale five times is... well... in my opinion... silly! For heavens sake, why not just choose a number you like and write it down?

Weigh no more than one time, once a day, wearing the same things (or nothing), at the same time of day. And be done with it! Who cares about tenths of a pound when there are dozens to lose?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/210/150

Height: 5'7''

tomato,

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
You can do it!
we have almost the same weight ....good luck!
michellenew
michellenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/210/150

Height: 5'7''

10 lb a month....this is what i'm hoping for too!
michellenew
michellenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #6  
Let's salsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Ummm... jumping on and off the scale five times is... well... in my opinion... silly! For heavens sake, why not just choose a number you like and write it down?
I have done because I read in other chicks' posts that the digital scale is inconsistant, and I saw it myself that there can a pound difference in between readings. So I don't want to celebrate a pound off that I have not lost yet.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 93.6/92.5/85

Height: 5.4

Tomato, your ticker looks good, but try not to worry about the scales so much.
Have you taken your measurements? With all that exercise you may well have lost inches.
I have been the same weight since before Xmas, but when I went to buy a new bra, I went down a size, not in the cup(thank goodness) but around the back. There are times when the scales lie. Bit like my cat lol .And the tape can be your best friend.
Good luck

Last edited by MaryL; 03-23-2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: grammer
MaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Well, in that case, Tomato, why not take the highest reading you get? The lower one could be the wrong reading.

My point is that all scales have some variation. Getting on and off five times just gives you five readings. Some people take the average, which is a better strategy than taking the low one or the high one. But I just take what I get the first (and only) time. It will all even out in the end.

Some folks don't weigh but once a week because they can't stand the constant up and down... It can be maddening!

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #9  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Some folks don't weigh but once a week because they can't stand the constant up and down... It can be maddening!
Yes, indeed...Some of us are going scale-free for (gasp!) 4-6 or more weeks even!!! It's going to be a challenge in "Chicks Up for a Challenge". Look for it in about 1 week.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #10  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
My point is that all scales have some variation. Getting on and off five times just gives you five readings.
Actually, mine is maddingly consistent. While I know .1 pound doesn't change the way I look, I was frustrated on Friday when my scale read 170.0. I got off and on it six or seven times trying to get that one-tenth of a pound off so that I could be in the 160's decade. And it would not change!

And I think that's what Tomato's all about here when she worries about the consistency. Variations of less than half a pound are not a big deal, but the scale is there to help us measure our progress and inform our decisions about what works for us and what does not work for us. (And, Mary's right that it shouldn't be the only tool we use!) So, it's good to figure out whether there's something wrong with the scale or with our plans (although the scale will lie and tell us our plans aren't working sometimes because of water weight variations, etc., so it's also good to remember that). With all of the other inconsistencies about weight loss, a scale that gave me different readings every time I got on it in the span of a few minutes would make me crazy!!!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #11  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Good job, Tomato!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #12  
Let's salsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryL View Post
Have you taken your measurements? With all that exercise you may well have lost inches.
Yes, I have. My plan was to take new measurements at the end of March but I did measure my waist and I am down 1 inch. I will attack the boobs and the hips on the weekend.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #13  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

While I agree that the scale is not the ONLY tool to use for measuring success, it is a vital tool to use. It is a clear, obvious method to see if overall you are on the right track. Daily fluctuations are the norm and people should realize this and not obsess about it. But if a scale is giving different readings each time you step on it, getting off and on several times during a 'weigh-in', then averaging those #s seems like a good idea. Look for the downward trend over time, like every week or two. If it continues to go down, stick w/what you're doing. If it remains the same or goes up, tweak away at your plan. Use this important tool; just don't obsessive about it.

Congrats on your loss Tomato!!! It IS great to see the numbers (scale, measurements, clothing size) going down, isn't it? Quite the motivational booster if you ask me. WTG!

Last edited by Hat Trick; 03-24-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote