Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-23-2008, 08:24 AM   #1  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

Question Seeing yourself in a new light

I've been over weight my whole life and obese all my adult life. I always felt there were things I couldn't do, either because I wasn't fit enough or it made me uncomfortable in some way.

Now I am losing weight (I am still obese but much less so ) I am thinking about those things I want to do but I am still afraid. I am still just a fat girl and I can't get use to the fact that I am fitter now than I have probably ever been! I've been thinking about adding a martial art into my exercise but I'm too scared I won't be able to do it. Going clothes shopping I still want to buy too big because I think the smaller sizes couldn't possibly fit.

Does anyone else feel like this? How can you move from your comfort zone? Is it just about self-esteem?
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #2  
Lola

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

jitterfish - i have those same thoughts sometimes. i'm curious to hear if anyone has good advice for us! i think it does have a lot to do with self-esteem, for me anyway. i guess because my diets have never succeeded, it's hard to get into a postitive frame of mind and think i actually CAN try on a smaller size at the store. and the idea that i would be capable of a skilled activity like martial arts, or a high intensity workout like running, seems far-fetched in my mind. i guess all we can do is TRY, and eventually we will start to believe we can do things we never thought we could!
Princess0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You are to be congratulated on your weight loss!

Your strength and stamina are obvious!

Martial arts are hard to do when overweight, however. I found that when I got over 160, I couldn't take the falls in Aikido, for example. I would get hurt, even though I was quite strong and fit at the time. This may not be your experience--and I don't want to discourage you. However, I would use wanting to do martial arts as an incentive at this point! And, in the meantime, I'd work on improving my strength and endurance with walking, treadmill and other exercise machines, weight training, and so on. Try some Zumba or other aerobics classes. There is a lot you can do now!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I know what you mean!

I was also always chubby as a kid and obese as an adult. I have been maintaining a 120 pound weight loss for over a year now, and I still can't get used to what my body can do. I remember going to yoga for the first time and being amazed that I could actually hold poses (not well, and I've gotten better since!). Last month I went rock climbing (indoors) for the first time and couldn't believe that was ME up there. I think it just takes some time to get used to a new body! And, I have found I have to open my mind to the possibility that I might be able to do something now. In the past I just dismissed it! But allow yourself to try some different things -- you might not be able to do it all right away, but you also might surprise yourself!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:59 PM   #5  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

Never fear Jay I wasn't thinking of taking up martial arts just yet! I was thinking of it as one of my mini goal rewards, get down to 75kg and start a martial art.

And rock climbing is another one of those things that I have always dismissed even though I have friends that do it, I just think there is no way I would ever be able to. Perhaps I should make that my 70kg mini goal reward!

So basically time is going to help? I sure hope so because I picked up a pair of pants today and thought they must be my husbands because they were too small to be mine... and yep they were mine yet still it has not sunken in. Because of course I went looking for those pants afterwards wanting to wear them today, took me forever to realise I had hung them up with his clothes!!
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote