Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4

Default Motivation tips

Hey! I am wondering: What are your tips to stay motivated during weight loss?

Thanks alot!
LondonAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #2  
Lola

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

it helps to have something concrete to shoot for - something more than a number on the scale. like a certain outfit or size, buying new clothes, a certain activity, an event.... everyone can think of one thing they will be able to do or wear, or a reward they will give themselves when they lose weight. i think about shopping for a swim suit without getting totally disgusted with what i see, and being able to go to the beach and not stay wrapped in the towel the whole time.

for me, it also helps to set mini-goals, like each month. then you have a lot of small successes along the way to your final goal.
Princess0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/182/150

Two other times, I have "committed" to losing the weight. When I have failed before, I looked back a month or so later and thought, "Darn, I could have been a few pounds lighter by now, had I stuck with it."

This time, I am celebrating every day (currently on day #4) and know that one day, enough days will have passed for me to be looking better and noticing a difference.
motomom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

Height: 5'7"

I bought a pair of size 14 jeans (I'm currently size 18) and everytime I think about not going to the gym, driving down the road to get a greasy hamburger, or just plain giving up I look at those jeans and think about how good they're going to look on me when I can lose the weight.

The first time I tried to lose the weight I bought a pair of size 6 jeans..which is where idealy I will be after this journey, but I realized that I kept failing because it was going to be such a long time before I could get into them. To get into my size 6 jeans I would have to lose at least 85 pounds! I figure to lose 85 lbs it would take me about 14-16 months at the least! After continually getting discouraged, I bought the size 14 jeans because that is a goal that I will be able to see a lot sooner than the size 6 jeans. I figure once I can fit into my 14's I'll be even more motivated to continue.

Sorry this was so long
OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

It's difficult to stay motivated for a long weight loss journey, at least it was for me.

Rather than relying on motivation, I tried to really make a commitment. As an example, for me, getting the exercise in is always difficult. I just don't want to do it most of the time. So, I commit to an exercise goal each month and stick to it. Then, motivated or not, I have to do it!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyMeantWell View Post
To get into my size 6 jeans I would have to lose at least 85 pounds! I figure to lose 85 lbs it would take me about 14-16 months at the least! After continually getting discouraged, I bought the size 14 jeans because that is a goal that I will be able to see a lot sooner than the size 6 jeans.
Hey OnlyMeantWell, that was a smart decision! I agree with your thinking, it is much closer goal (and therefore more easily achievable goal) to shrink into size 14 than into size 6.

At my fittest (in the last 15 years, when I already lived in Canada), I wore size 8 pants. They were from Gap and I think Gap maybe one of those places where they "downsize" the labels for psychological purposes. I think I still have the pants somewhere, because I was never able to give them up. I doubt that I will ever be size 8 again, but that is not important to me (the size, that is). I want to lose weight to the point where I think I am at the right height and maintain it from there on. Besides, sizes vary from one store to another.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 AM   #7  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Motivation is fleeting. It gets you started on the journey, but commitment and dedication are the ones that keep you going.

I was reading the book "Confessions of a former fat girl" and she has a saying that she uses. "It's not an option".
So if you think of straying from your plan, say "It's not an Option". Start flexing that dedication muscle and make it strong!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #8  
Amy

S/C/G: 328/see ticker/170

Height: 5' 8"

I keep on thinking of how I want to be comfortable in my body. A day at a time, I commit to eating no sugar, white flour, white pasta, etc. which helps me not binge eat. So the food has been okay since Sept 07.

But as I just said in another post, I'm waiting for the hand of God to come down to help me exercise. I definitely need a change in mindset in this area.
Amy

Last edited by oreokitty; 03-23-2008 at 12:40 PM.
oreokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #9  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I keep pictures of me at my flabbiest looking on my refrigerator and in the room where I work out as a visual reminder of exactly why I am now chosing to exercise and eat healthy.

I also keep pictures of me at my fittest (from a few years back) posted around my computer, so that I can see what I am working towards, and I know it's possible to achieve it.

I scribbled out a little mantra to post in my office at home that says, "I can be lazy, or I can be fit, but not both." It's a reminder to me that I can't just lounge around eating junk food and expect to be slim.

I remind myself that losing weight is like a long road through the desert: there may be pot holes, bumps, and curves in the road, but if I just stay on course and keep going then I will get to my destination. I can't let little slip-ups cause me to slam on the brakes and give up.

I come onto this website and read lots of posts that give me inspiration, and tips that I have really found useful. Knowing that I can seek out and get positive support here whenever I need it is gratifying, too.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I think I agree, motivation seems to come and go... mine went for a time and now it's back to the program because I see a few pounds. I'm gonna have to make this working out thing like brushing my teeth, something I HAVE to do no matter what. I don't like mornings but it does seem to be the time to get it done and feel more energized for the day. On eating I"m doing ok, I sort of "automated" what I eat, buy certain things, learned what superfoods are, mostly know the calories I"m eating... it's exercising motivation. I AM NOT going to get FAT again, I've done the yo yo thing before...
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

They should be the same thing that motivated you to lose weight in the first place. And if that wasn't something solely for yourself, then it's not likely to have a large impact to keep you going. If you were motivated for your health or to enjoy your time better with your family, a reason that can keep you going and not a here today gone tomorrow one, like maybe a boyfriend, then that motivation is still there. You just have to keep reminding yourself of that reason you first decided to lose weight.

You can do small things to help push you, but the motivation is really what made you want to lose it to start with.

Some of what I did along the way was to picture my favorite actresses tummy as being MY tummy. Course I wouldn't mind looking like Julia Roberts all around, and not just in the tummy.

I also bought an outfit that was more expensive than I would normally buy, and a size smaller than I wore. I hung it on the front of my dresser so I'd see it daily, have to move it to get into my drawers, and would try it on daily until the darned thing fit. LOL Then I'd go buy another one.

And the best way to stick to it...get all the junk out of the house. If you have a spouse or parents, which might make that impossible, try at least relegating your healthier foods to a separate cabinet and fridge shelf. That way you don't have to look at the other stuff, so it doesn't tempt you.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Motivation is fleeting. It gets you started on the journey, but commitment and dedication are the ones that keep you going.
Yeah. The more I go through this journey, the more I realize this. I have days that I'm motivated and days that I'm not. But overall I realize that I feel better and I feel better about myself when I do what's "right" for me.

So it's just a lifestyle commitment. Just like brushing your teeth every day, getting up in the morning and going to work, choosing what TV shows you'll watch. You choose what to eat, choose to exercise, and choose to be healthy.

Which kinda sucks. It would be a lot easier if there were a magic motivational bullet.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #13  
Recovering perfectionist

S/C/G: 250/ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Several things have helped me so far.

Visiting here every day, and reading and making at least a few posts. There's always something inspirational to find, and it reminds me I am not alone in this. Keeping a blog, which helps me work through things and be aware of what I'm learning, and the unexpected benefits of eating better, losing weight and becoming more fit. These two things keep me 'engaged' in the process by keeping it in the forefront of my mind.

Thinking about my long-term reasons: I am only a few years away from retiring, and we plan on carrying out big renovations on our retirement place and doing the work ourselves. I need to be healthy and fit to accomplish that, and then to be able to enjoy the results for many years to come with my spouse.

Ti'an
Daffy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/151/hot

Height: 5'7"

My biggest motivational tool is thinking about the benefits of either option, maintaining a lower weight and my fitness vs. being overweight and unfit.

In the fit column, we have fun activities like hiking, running races, chasing nephews, not paying for cable television...

In the tubby and unfit column, we have getting to sleep in every day, eating crap (but then feeling like it... a con...), obsessing about stupid tv shows.

Then I just mentally make the decision every time my motivation wanes that the fit and healthy benefits are more important to me. I imagine these things vary by person, but I think generally, most people will find more benefits to weight loss.

I also try to steer clear of aesthetic goals too much, personally, because there are so many days where I find myself not caring what I look like and frumping it up, so I can't put all my eggs in that basket. I can be a frump having fun if I'm fit!
twentysixpoint2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #15  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

God, I really needed to read this today. I need to read it everyday, actually. I haven't lost my motivation now, but I am just coming back from a spell of losing motivation. You guys are so wise. Thanks.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote