Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Gotta get my act together

This is sort of in the nature of a vent and sort of in the nature of giving myself someplace to be held accountable.

One of the things I do is put on workshops for professional photographers, working with another instructor, and this month started our spring series of workshops. So the last two weeks this has been my schedule:

Sunday - fly from home to Phoenix
Monday - workshop in Phoenix
Tuesday - fly from Phoenix to San Francisco
Wednesday - workshop in San Fran
Thursday - fly from San Fran to Portland
Friday - workshop in Portland / drive to Seattle
Saturday - workshop in Seattle
Sunday - fly home - except flight is overbooked and I'm bumped
Monday - stuck in Las Vegas, fly out on redeye
Tuesday - arrive home at 6:55 a.m. / sleep all day
Wednesday - do laundry and get caught up on stuff
Thursday - in the office returning a weeks worth of calls and emails
Friday - appointments all day
Saturday - photograph wedding
Sunday - drive to Charlotte
Monday - workshop in Charlotte / drive to Atlanta
Tuesday - workshop in Atlanta
Wednesday - in the office returning a weeks worth of calls and emails
Thursday - client meetings all day
Friday - (today) collapse

I'm exhausted. And for the entirety of that schedule I've eaten bad airport food, rich restaurant food, had more drinks with clients/students than I should have, and ... the gym? Hah. Who has time for the gym???

Seriously. I haven't gained weight, but I'm sitting at 168-172, and nothing has changed. I have "restarted" my Spark-people settings as though I were starting fresh at 172 ... to get to my goal of 135.

I have no more of these workshops until September, but my season is picking up with weddings and portraits ... and the fall schedule is going to be muchmuchworse, with 18 cities on the agenda between September and December, plus my regular business demands. I *have* to figure out a way to not let these events mess with my progress and planning.

ARGH. I know I can manage this ... I just need to wrap my head around it.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 8"

Wow! Well at least a schedule that busy has to be burning some calories right?

Sometimes there isn't a whole lot you can do about what's available when you're having those client meetings (and you certainly don't want to alienate business contacts by making a big deal about what you are "allowed" to eat) but as for the airport - maybe you could check the newsstand to see if they have something a little healthier (like raw almonds?) you can munch on that will tide you over until you can get to someplace that has "real" food. And, it might feel a little "dorky" but maybe you could fix your own OP lunches and stash them in a camera bag so you aren't starving to death with no choice but to partake of whatever is on the menu at those events.

You've done so great so far I have no doubt you'll get this figured out so you can keep moving forward.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodieterinvegas View Post
Wow! Well at least a schedule that busy has to be burning some calories right?
Hee. Between the schedule and lifting and carrying gear, suitcases, and whatnot ... I seriously think that it's the only thing that's kept me from gaining.

Yeah, I need to pack things to take to the airport with me. I can bring baggies of food, even if I have to ditch my drinks at the security check.

There's always a challenge, isn't there?

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

There is always a challenge. But! I bet you have already made some decisions about what to do better coming up in September
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Maddening, isn't it?

For any program to work, and I don't care which program it is, it has to be something that you can make work in your daily life. If much of your life involves traveling, you'll need a program that will work with that. What alternative is there? It's unlikely your life is suddenly going to slow down and give you time to lose weight and get fit.

- Many hotels and motels have fitness equipment these days. Try to book yourself only into those, or at least one with a pool where you can swim.

- It's easy to feel like you "have" to go out with clients and have way too many drinks, but those drinks are not helping you in any way. Set a schedule for your post-workshop activities--that is, an end time! Drinks and dinner from 5 to 7, and then you leave, for example. What do you do then? Change clothes, chill out a bit, get your papers in order, and then... to the fitness center! Or pool! Because trying to do it in the morning is not going to work well.

- Get into the habit of passing on appetizers and choosing only the better choices on restaurant menus. Grilled chicken, side salad, dressing on the side, no potatoes or pasta. Plan to eat only half of what you're brought and take the rest back to your room. On the way to your room or to the fitness center, toss the food you didn't eat. I'm serious! Just 'cause you bought it doesn't mean you have to eat it.

- Don't skip breakfast. Try to find some protein for breakfast even if it isn't ideal. Lots of hotels/motels have breakfast options including hard boiled eggs.

Think of what other strategies you can use! Because if this is your life, whatever you do with your food program has to work in it.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 03-21-2008 at 12:30 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #6  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

I recently saw an TV ad featuring healthy snacks for airport eating-- huh!
so hard to plan and carry food. It's all I can do sometimes to get out the door!
still, at least your pocketbook is getting wider!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #7  
Don't Take Away My Cheese

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

No one can bother you when you are in the shower! You can do a 10-15 minute exercise routine while you wash! Try some squats and leg raises (carefully). Lift bottles of shampoo! Every little bit helps. I've tried this during my REALLY busy days...and while I don't feel like I get as much out of it as going to the gym and putting in an hour, I do feel a little invigorated that something was accomplished. If you find another 10-15 minute break in the day, you can always work something else little in. Best of luck to you, and keep going!!
FriendlysRage is offline   Reply With Quote