General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

Height: 5'7"

Question Grocery Store Phobia?

Okay, all my life I have loved food (as I'm sure most people do, so I'm not an anomaly there).

Since I have really gotten serious about this whole weight-loss thing, I am terrified of what I eat. I will go double check the calories, the portions, the fat grams, carb grams, protein grams over and over again.

I guess I just don't want all the hard work that I have done at the gym to come undone due to a momentary lapse in judgment.

Today, I was supposed to go to the grocery store to get something for my mom and I was in tears on the way there. I ended up going to a convenience store to get it just so I wouldn't go into the grocery store...I'm scared that when I have money I will go over and buy a slice of pizza, or get a carton of chinese takeout there.

I'm sure that eventually this anxiety will go away. It's just that I know that if I walk into that grocery store and smell all the food I will tell myself "One piece of pizza is NOT going to kill you, you'll just do an extra 20 minutes on the elliptical tomorrow". But that is NEVER the way it works. Once I've had one "no-no" I end up just completely forgetting about eating correctly and exercising.

Does anyone else feel this anxiety at the grocery store? What do you do to curb it?

Thanks for reading,

-Liz.
OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #2  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

i try to have a belly full of fruits and/or veggies or some insanely high fiber item before i go to the store, that way i'm already stuffed b4 i get there and NOTHING at that point that sounds appetizing.

it's silly i suppose, but it keeps me from straying away from my grocery list.
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'4"

I got a job at a grocery store!!

but seriously, your anxiety will go away, and you will SOON be able to "just say no"
It isn't easy. I've worked in restaurants all of my life, with a brief stint in straight retail, and i really DO work in a grocery store now, and there is SO MUCH amazing food half a store away... and it's not easy. but i rarely give in to temptation and i just roll with it. It gets easier as time goes by. someday, that food that is no good just won't taste as good anymore.
karmuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Make a list and stick to it! If you commit to doing that, you'll pass up the processed junk.

That being said, having one off-plan day isn't going to ruin all of your hard work, either. Not that you should aim to go off-plan if you don't want to, but there is no need to panic and keep going if you tiptoe over the "off-plan" line. Just get immediately back to plan and keep moving forward. NO ONE gets to goal without ever slipping up and eating more than they planned, really! The difference is, people at goal make a commitment to get directly back on plan afterward, and thus those temporary blips don't turn into longer setbacks.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I love grocery shopping!

I read the flyers. I make lists. I have a little note book with lists from Superfoods Rx, BFL and any recipes I've seen lately. I take my time and read labels. I don't go down very many center aisles and don't go near the ready-made deli counter.

Most of the time, I walk and take two eco-friendly bags. That'll cut down on the extras... too heavy!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote