Old 03-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Back on track....in a big way!

1st of all I'd like to say thankyou to all of the wonderful people on here who have been so supportive! Secondly, I wanted to let you all know thay I went to Jenny Craig the other day and joined! I am soooo happy! I am now motivated for the first tome in almost 2 months! I really think that I can do this. It is time for me. As you can see by my ticker I am still planning on doing the half-marathon in 8 weeks. My mini weight goal for 8 weeks is 30lbs. I think it is a reasonable goal.....and if I get my butt in gear.....maybe more.
Chamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

- Keep us updated on the marathon progress!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Really not trying to be a downer here, but you might want to check with some people who have trained for long runs and learn some more about the nutritional requirements for that. Your body needs a lot of fuel for that kind of training and I'm not sure that a plan to lose that much weight before the run will provide that.

There are quite a few members around here who have done this and might be able to point you in the right direction.

Congratulations of making such a big commitment to the running. I'd really like to love running but can't quite get there. Good luck!
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/see ticker/happy

Height: 5ft 9in

Default Chamie, love your attitude but...

... in 8 weeks a healthy weight loss would be 16lbs and you are trying for double. I love your enthusisiam but this doesn't seem healthy it me, and I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Sorry to be such a bummer.
Good Luck with your goals and please be careful with your training.
scrappinRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Best of luck with your marathon & new program! Just be sure to be healthy about it
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Best of luck to you in your training and your new committment with Jenny.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:03 AM   #7  

OUCH...I expected a little more support. I really don't think that 30lbs in 8 weeks is unreasonable for someone as overweight as I am. Yes, it is on the high side, but not unreasonable. Think of it this way......3.7lbs a week. Better? As far as the half-marathon is concerned........if I walk a mile in 15 minutes (which I can), a 13 mile walk (if I need it to be) could be walked in 3hrs and 15minutes. We have 4 hours to complete the half marathon..........
Chamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:46 AM   #8  

I think it's great that you have such ambitious goals! Even if you don't quite make the thirty, who could be disappointed about being down twenty or twenty-five in that short of time? And if you're following the Jenny nutritional guidelines and getting in enough calories, and your body's metabolism allows you to lose at the higher rate, great for you! I know that Robin41 and RockinRobin both lost at rates fairly close to that for much of their weight loss. (I haven't achieved anything near that, though, and I feel really good about my accomplishment of 72 pounds in 10 months!)

I, too, am training for a half-marathon. I also considered (very briefly) training for a full marathon, and as Chamie noted, there is quite a bit of difference between the two. I looked up suggested training schedules for each, and the marathon training is significantly more difficult. However, I think Robin's idea of going to the Cool Runnings thread in the Exercise thread is also a great idea. Those women know their stuff, and I have gotten some great responses about my training. Information about nutrional needs might be very useful.

Good luck with both of your very ambitious goals, Chamie.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Chamie, I'm so glad you found your motivation again!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/221/120

Height: 5'4"

Chamie, I love your motivation! Good luck! You will do a great a job for the half marathon! Good luck with the weight that you want to lose before it -- I hope that you can do it.
scoobie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #11  
IncredibleShrinkingWoman

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'11"

Don't let anything get you down. People are trying just to be helpful. Just take what advice you want. =D =D =D

I think 3 pounds a week is a pretty normal weight loss goal. Isn't it supposed to be like 1% loss a week? I've been losing about 3-4 pounds a week with diet and exercising 5 or 6 days a week.

Good luck with your marathon! Are you walking/jogging? I'm thinking of starting the couch to 5K at some point (I keep having dreams where I'm running for some reason, lol). But I'm too jiggly atm. =D I think once I get more body fat down, it will be more comfortable to jog.

So keep us updated!!!
bigtxmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Yay for finding your motivation. I've lost almost 35 pounds between Jan. 7 and Monday so it can be done. That's awesome you are shooting for a 1/2 marathon. I'm not even going to attempt one of those for another year. I'm still trying to the hang of the 5k's.

Don't forget to check back in often
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #13  
Mz. Matherne

S/C/G: 285/275/150

Good luck with everything!!

I think 30 pounds in 8 weeks is do-able for someone your size if you got motivation and determination!!
dandk0204 is offline   Reply With Quote