Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/278.8/150

Height: 5 ft.5 in.

Default Running

I'm 5 ft 5 in tall and very healthy. I've lost 62 1/2 lbs. but gained back about 10 so I am trying to get this off with Weight Watchers and just forge ahead. I'm curious if anyone knows at what weight would be acceptable to start running again. I used to run years ago and NEVER had a weight problem. College and Nursing school really wreaked havoc at the time and I continued being in a very bad eating pattern for a long time. I'm trying to turn things around but at my weight I know that the running part is not an option yet. My joints and my back are fine,no pinched nerves and no injuries but I know that I'm young for my age and want to get the clock turned back with activity.
At what weight could someone be running again?
NurseChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #2  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I am currently at about 211.8 ish and I have been running/walking regularly since January - but I first started exercising/running at the begining of 2002 when I was at my highest weight ever of 245. I don't think weight matters - except that (at any weight) you should start off slow, and listen to your body. It is ok to push a little - but never put yourself in pain.

***And get good running shoes!*** That has been a huge factor in how well I can run. Bad shoes = bad run. Good shoes = good run.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

Height: 5'7"

I agree with SCraver

I think that you need to listen to your body. I am at 215 and I do interval training. I walk, then jog, then run as hard as I can for as long as I can..then some (like 45 seconds) then walk, jog, run, repeat.

Interval training has helped a lot. Just do what your body can handle + a little more. That's what I do!

OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #4  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

I agree as well. If you're not in pain then go for it! Running's fantastic for a workout and you can do it anywhere. I don't know if you were doing any exercise to lose the 62lbs (that's awesome, btw!) but in the event that you were I'm sure you're in pretty good shape. Just take it slow for the first two weeks - I'm told that's how long it takes to get used to a new exercise and condition your tendons and ligaments against injury - and you should be fine!
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #5  
Recovering perfectionist

S/C/G: 250/ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up

My stats are close to yours, and my history is remarkably similar. I, too, am waiting to begin running again. I would suggest that when you start again depends largely on your own physiology. If there's a history of shinsplints, or heel spurs/plantar fasciitis, that sort of thing, I would take that into consideration in making my decision.

If you've no such history, then I can't think of any reason not to at least try, as suggested, starting s-l-o-w-l-y. And I will be quite envious, as I do have to wait a little longer before I start.

Ti'an
Daffy29 is offline   Reply With Quote