Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #1  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Doing sculpting workouts and weights?

I do the Firm sculpting workouts with weights (3 pound and 8 pound). I want to do more strength training, but wonder if I should do it the same day I do the Firm workouts so my muscles can rest, or are the Firm weights not really heavy enough to constitute true weight lifting?
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #2  
Back in the Game

S/C/G: 132/125.2/120

Height: 5'6"

ideally, you should work a different part of the body on different days. for example, do upper body one day and lower body the next. i rotate my workouts as follows: upper body front (chest, bicep, shoulders) on one day, upper body back (back and triceps) on another day, and finally lower body (full leg) on yet another day. i do cardio with each workout (that doesn't alternate). i can't see why you couldn't do both workouts on the same day as long as you give that muscle group a chance to rest the next day.

Last edited by moon fairy; 03-18-2008 at 05:52 PM.
moon fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Moon Fairy is right, you should rest you muscles a minimum of 48 hours between workouts, and the method she suggests is one way to do it. You can also do full body workouts with 2 days of rest in between.

However, I really wanted to say that if you want to make progress, you need to keep lifting heavier. Your body gets used to exercise at any level and stops making progress. The only way to get stonger/more sculpted, is to keep increasing your weights. In my opinion - and I'm sure that of many others here - is that you don't need to do the Firm workouts as well as weight training. There are lots of weight training routines out there. Many of us here are currently using the New Rules of Lifting for Women which emphasizes workouts that are related to function, i.e. they use the movements of everyday life and make us stronger and more functional. But take a look at some of the stickied threads, and read through some of the other threads, and don't be afraid to ask questions. A fit body is a beautiful body!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #4  
The Radiant One

I just love my Firm workouts, a lot - since it is both cardio and strength training! I also like to use my Bowflex, but with the Firm workouts, you do the whole body, so I can't do Bowflex on alternate days - since I would be working the same muscle groups twice.

I might just do some Bowflex on the days I do the Firm.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

I would consider the FIRM workouts to be light enough (resistance wise) to be considered as a higher intensity cardio session or at least an active recovery workout, that I would not worry about them hindering your recovery from resistance training.

I think you are fine to move forward with the resistance training. As long as you aren't planning on doing high rep workouts, you will be using predominantly different energy systems and for much of the time different muscle fiber types, so you will OK. The FIRM workouts will be stressing mostly your aerobic system and type I fibers. As long as you go heavy enough with your Bowflex, you are going to be using the anaerobic energy system and, while you will be again using the Type I fibers, you will be attempting to use as many Type II fibers as possible. The Type I fibers are harder to fatigue and quicker to recover. It's the Personally, I would recommend keeping your workouts in the 8-10RM range.

If after your first 3 or 4 weeks, you are making no progress in your resistance training, then and only then, would I start to worry about recovery

Last edited by Depalma; 03-19-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #6  
The Radiant One

Thank you!