Old 03-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 130/130/110

Height: 5 foot 5 inches

Default Help :-(

I am a total boredom eater. I always start my days out "good" with a normal breakfast than by mid-day I find myself mindlessly munching. This mindless munching has really picked up over the past couple months as I approach graduation from college and am starting to stress about my future, in fact I have gained 15 pounds to show for this mindless eating. The thing is is that I would tell myself that the stuff I was eating (usually an entire box of Kashi Go Lean or Optimum Slim Cereal) was healthy and it didn't matter. Well much to my dismay it seems to have mattered and now its really hard to not reach for something to occupy my mouth with. Any suggestions on what to do to end this - I want to get back down to my ideal normal weight (110/115) and currently I am around 130.
pinkrunnerbabe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #2  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Default me too

I totally hear you. I'm fine in the morning and I even track my calories most of the day. I bring the same things to work with me every day for lunch and snacks. All reasonably healthy options. But around 3:00 the slump hits and I get REALLY bored and tired. (I'm a receptionist and I can't leave my desk except on breaks). That's when the vending machine starts calling out to me. Then I go home, work out, have a reasonably healthy dinner most of the time, and it's all downhill from there. I have smart ones desserts to eat, but I always want more, and a lot of times I'll eat it! I feel like I could seriously go on a binge and eat all night. Even after I had such a healthy day and feel so good about myself. Every morning I "start over" and it always ends up happening again a few days later. I feel like I have no self control whatsoever and I don't know how to make myself stop!
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #3  

I KNOW its so frustrating - what can we do to stop this out-of-controllness!!! I hate it everyday because I go to bed thinking tomorrow is another day - but really its just a constant repeat.......
Old 03-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #4  

I have a major problem because I work preparing and serving food so I am constantly around it and we are allowed to help ourselves. I was very good when I first started but I am finding myself have the odd thing here and there more frequently. If it didnt look bad with customers I would probrably chew gum but I am trying to replace food with water... hmm sometimes it works lol
lindsay989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #5  
Back in the Game

S/C/G: 132/125.2/120

Height: 5'6"

i'm grateful that i have the distraction of taking the kids to their activities. i don't get home until late, which leaves little time to "snack". like you, i also eat out of boredom. sometimes i give in and sometimes i have a little chat with myself and resist.
moon fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #6  

haha yea i always have those little convos with myself to try to keep myself away from the kitchen - but once I give in I have that mentality that says "well u blew it mise well keep gorging" how bad is that!? I never use to be like this so its so frustrating to me!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 01:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey there-

Have you been to an OA meeting?
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #8  

Do you work the OA program? If so I'd use all the tools and especially the phone, call your sponsor or another 12 step program or just a friend to talk, you don't even have to tell them your problem.

Sweets will turn me on to eating healthy foods to no end so we have no sweets in our house. This has become easier as my husband is to lose weight for health reasons now so we just don't buy them and it is a lot easier as sweets are both our down falls.

I send my food plan to my sponsor almost every morning no ones perfect so I miss sometimes, and that really helps too.

JUst some suggestions, please keep coming back and posting.

hugs
patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252.2/220/200 1st goal

Height: 5'4"

Hi Guys,
I agree completely with Marny and Pat. OA is not a diet it is a program of Sprituality and healing. OA is fashioned after Alcoholics Anonymous suggesting we are addicted to some foods and addicted to certain eating behaviors.
OA is a program designed to relieve us of the food addiction and cravings we suffer from. I have been relieved from cravings for sweets and been abstinent from my "Red Foods" since last July. I just don't have them in my home, but use caution because as pinkrunnerbabe said she ate a whole box of cereal.
The first action is to attend an OA meeting and go from there.
Hugs,
Bumps
Magic Flute is offline   Reply With Quote