Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Having a hard time this week...

Last week went great. I exercised every day and ate correctly. I lost 3 lbs! This week is not going well at all. Friday my BF and I went on a long walk then out for pizza. I had looked up the nutrition online and had it planned how much of what I could eat for my remaining calories. After the walk I felt so weak and tired, I totallly pigged out.

I tried to get back on track this weekend and then again today but the same amount of food I ate last week just wouldn't cut it. I was hungry all day today. Eventually I ate a granola bar, a fistful of animal crackers, and a glass of chocolate milk. I've had no energy all day.

I'm not sure what to do. Change diets, or maybe change the foods I'm eating? I admit I have still been eating a considerable amount of sugar (instant oatmeal and granola bars). I've been calorie counting, did great for 5 days but now it doesn't seem to be working for me.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Hang in there, Fan!

Maybe you should try the regular Oatmeal and sweeten it with fresh fruit - I sometimes add a cut up half an apple or one (yes 1!) walnut meat to my oatmeal.

Granola bars have been the downfall of every diet I have ever been on. I loose all my weight, and then I get the idea that granola bars are "healthy for me", and start the whole thing over again. This time, I have banned granola bars from my life.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #3  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Acccckkkk, I hate it when this happens. Manys days of right on target then one thing can throw you completely out of kilter for days.

I don't know what your diet consists of but I do know that eating enough protein and protein with every meal and snack helps keep hunger at bay for me. I hate a late-ish lunch today (1:30) and thought I'd be ok till dinnertime but around 3:30 I could feel myself getting hungry and I knew I wouldn't last. I ate 6 or 7 wheat thins (5 grain kind) w/some peanut butter (maybe 2 tspns total) on them. That was about 1 1/2 hrs ago and it knocked the hunger just enough so I didn't go a runnin' for the junk. I'm headed off for a leftover grilled chicekn, baked sweet potato and broccoli -- the rest of the family is having cheesesteaks and hoagies. Oy!

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and the very next meal you eat, make it one that fits into your plan -- even if you've 'blown' it today. The only way to get back up on the horse is to put one foot in the stirrup and hoist away! Good luck!

Last edited by Hat Trick; 03-17-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #4  

The granola bars were supposed to be for my 1-year-old daughter (what a bad mom I am, eating my daughter's snacks). The morning is my hungriest time of day. How exactly do you incoporate protein into breakfast? I don't have time for cooking in the morning. I should do a mid-morning snack, I suppose. I'm thinking of cutting out processed sugars entirely. Maybe I can do the plain oats with banana. I love my instant oatmeal, but it's a definite downfall for me.

Last edited by CrazedLedZepFan; 03-17-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Perhaps you've listed this before--but what is your calorie target, and how much/what kind of exercise do you do? Maybe we can make suggestions.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #6  
No surrender, no retreat

If you're short on time, making regular oatmeal (not the prepacked kind which is loaded w/sugar) doesn't take that much longer. You can add a little brown sugar to sweeten it. I find a little brown sugar goes a long way. You can also add raisins and a tblspn of walnuts too. I also use 2% milk for the fat because it helps keep me from getting hungry too soon. You could add in some protein powder (GNC has a store brand in vanilla flavor. I usually dissolve it in a little water first then add b/4 I cook the oatmeal.)

Bananas and peanut butter are quick and nutritious as is whole wheat bread w/peanut butter (gee, can you tell I use peanut butter? )

When my daughter got a palate expander (medevial torture devices if you ask me ) prior to getting her braces she couldn't eat anything. So I made her shakes w/vanilla yogurt, frozen bananas, maybe some frozen strawberries or blueberries, a tspn of peanut butter and a scoop of protein powder. Put it in the blender and done. You could do something similar (to fit your calories better; I was concerned w/getting enough calories into her at the time ) and put it in a thermo lidded coffee cup and drink it on the way.

I had to laugh at the 'granola bars were for my daughter'. I was always buying snacks or cereal 'for the kids' and always, always ended up eating them. I only buy what they like now; I leave the Lucky Charms and the Doritos on the shelf.

Hey, forgot to post this earlier (too many people in and out of here this week; they ALL have off ) -- Congrats on the 3 lbs loss!!! That's hard to do in a week -- obviously you were doing something oh so right last week. Good job!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #7  

I'm doing 1500-1600 calories a week because I am still nursing my daughter. I do my gazelle 30 minutes a day. Do you buy the whey or soy protein powder? I've been wanting to check it out but it confuses me,lol. My friend works at vitamin world though, so maybe I should ask her about the diff. kinds. Thank you for all of the advice, it was really very helpful.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #8  
No surrender, no retreat

I use the GNC brand whey protein, but soy is also a good choice. I use the vanilla flavor but I think they also have choc and maybe strawberry. I think per scoop it's 120 cals and 20 gram protein. For my daughter, she gets a whole scoop; for me I'd opt for 1/2 scoop. She still eats shakes for b/fast now (she's 11) and I'll make them for snacks for my other kids. 8 oz of yogurt, 1 frozen banana, 1 scoop of protein powder, 1 tspn of pbutter and a handful of blueberries and/or strawberries (frozen) makes a 16 oz. glass, sometimes a bit more if I feel the need to thin it down w/some milk. You can adjust and fiddle around w/the ingredients and use what you like to meet your cals and meal needs. They are pretty darn tasty though! Folks at the GNC store near me seem pretty knowledgeable and willing to provide info whenever I've asked. Good luck.

Last edited by Hat Trick; 03-18-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #9  
Mini-Goal #1: 160 by 4/14

S/C/G: 185-ish/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedLedZepFan View Post
I'm doing 1500-1600 calories a week because I am still nursing my daughter. I do my gazelle 30 minutes a day. Do you buy the whey or soy protein powder? I've been wanting to check it out but it confuses me,lol. My friend works at vitamin world though, so maybe I should ask her about the diff. kinds. Thank you for all of the advice, it was really very helpful.
Hey - I have a few more breakfast suggestions for you (some of my favorites!):

Real oatmeal made with Soymilk instead of water - 1/2 c of Silk Plain has 50 cal/2g fat and keeps me feeling full!

Whole Grain Total or Shredded Wheat - Both have good amounts of fiber...I use soymilk on these too.

Egg beaters - Just pour some in a pan and they cook just as fast as oatmeal. I add a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese and some baby spinach to mine.

I usually eat 1/2 to a whole banana depending on how many calories I want to add. I aim for 250-300 for breakfast unless I know I'm having a high calorie lunch or dinner.

Low fat cheese sticks are also a good way to add protein without a ton of calories (60 cal/2g fat)

Good luck finding something you love for breakfast!!!
sweettart08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #10  
Health: my gift to myself

S/C/G: 203/199/166

Height: 5'4"

These are great suggestions! Thanks for sharing... I find I get frustrated and I end up hating all food and I lose creativity. The cheese is a good idea to feel fuller...
Does anyone know of a good low-fat brand of tofu? I don't really eat eggs so I make tofu scramble (when I crave it) but some of it is too loaded with fat, surprisingly.
mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

I had always thought " EGGBEATERS YUCK"
I tried them a few weeks back and they are wonderful!! I add fat free cheese and fresh mushrooms and onion and bell peppers and its wonderful and very filling. I have it with a slice of whole wheat toast. Its keeps me full and going until lunch time.
For me counting calories is all about planning ahead of time. I cant wait till im hungry to decide what to eat. I record everything that goes in my mouth.
good luck
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

I f you like oatmeal, you can also try pumpkin oatmeal. I know, it wounds weird. But, I add 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin to my oatmeal, add in pumpkin pie spices, 1-2 packets of splenda, and a tbsp of flavored low fat creamer (like pean praline or something to that effect). Definitely keeps me full, if anything I have trouble eating it all!

I also go for reduced calorie wheat bread with peanut butter and banana and a glass of skim milk.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

From the standpoint of someone who was recently a nursing mother, you might need to adjust your calorie intake up a bit. If you lost 3 pounds in one week, and you are feeling physical hunger and weakness, maybe aim for 1700 a day instead for a couple of weeks, and see how you handle that. Nursing mothers have to not only be careful of their caloric intake, but also in how fast they are losing weight as well.

I would also go over your foods and what you are eating. Granola bars, chocolate milk, etc. are sugary and carby-and they can really start the hunger-binge-hunger again cycle.

If you don't have time to cook in the morning, maybe a slice of whole grain toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter would work? It would have some protein and fat, which would help keep you feeling satisfied for longer.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

Try to work some Splenda into your oatmeal if you feel it's bland! Fresh fruit is better, but splenda is an okay substitute I think, anyway.

It's okay that you didn't do so hot today or in the past week. The point is to keep on going and not give up. We all have our share of bad days, it's not the end of the world.
OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

I didn't mean for "It's not the end of the world" to sound like I'm minimizing the issue...after I read my post it sounded a little mean, which was totally not my intention. I just want you to know that we all mess up and it's okay, EVERYONE messes up. Just as long as you can learn from your shortcomings and try to do better next time, that's what really counts.

Have a wonderful rest of the day!

-Liz.
OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote