Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #1  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Default Your Benefits from Exercising

I thought I would start a thread to see what people feel are the biggest benefits to their bodies and changes they've experienced since they've been exercising.

For one thing, I wish I had started exercising many years ago, but it's never too late (I really started getting serious about exercising on a consistent basis when I was around 50, and I'm currently 57).

When I stated exercising, I noticed the following:
1. I wasn't taking naps in the afternoon any more.
2. I had an increased overall energy.
3. I felt better about myself.
4. I lost weight easier (it's never been easy for me, just easier. )
5. I feel less stressed.

How about you?
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

basically the same things:

-less need for naps, more energy, more alert throughout the day (and I work night shifts, so my wacky sleep schedule is **** sometimes, and I don't want to live on coffee alone, lol)
-increased confidence, esp. after losing the double chin and actually requiring a belt to hold up jeans that were too tight to wear not so long ago.
-related: I have a closet in 2 sections, and the one on the left is "huge clothes," the one on the right is "clothes that dont quite fit anymore" and I recently moved a bunch of the slightly smaller clothes over to the left side, which is now "clothes that actually fit me." ^_^ Always a good thing. I still have a bunch of barely-worn cute blouses that I'm hoping will fit me again by summer though.
-increased strength. At my highest weight just carrying my books to class was torturous.
-losing weight more easily
-less stress. and when i feel stressed i go out and walk around campus for 45 minutes or so, which decreases my stress and makes me feel better because I've done a bit more exercise.
-related to strength: no more lower back pain.
-i go more places, hang out with friends more, etc. whereas for a while there I just felt like heck and didn't want anyone to look at me.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:42 AM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

• When I'm exercising, I'm not eating!
  • Exercising really helps keep my eating on plan. I can't explain why it does, but it does. On days where my eating is starting to spiral out of control, working out will sometimes help me get back on plan.
  • According to You on a Diet, 1 lb of muscle burns between 40 to 100 calories a day, just sitting there. A lb of fat burns 1 to 3 calories a day. WOW! Can't beat that math!
  • It helps me get over illnesses faster. I've definitely had days when I thought I was coming down with something and was able to fight it off. Moderate exercise has been shown to boost your immune system, so I'm convinced it's my workouts that did the trick.
  • It's definitely helped with some of my digestive issues. Recently I was on vacation in Mexico, eating and drinking all sorts of stuff I don't normally consume, and had terrible heartburn. I did a moderate workout and it really cleared up the heartburn. I felt so much better after my workout.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
When I'm exercising, I'm not eating!
ha, very good point. ^_^ I try to ask myself when I think I'm hungry if I am hungry or bored, and if I'm bored, I take a walk or something and forget about wanting to snack.
Quote:
According to You on a Diet, 1 lb of muscle burns between 40 to 100 calories a day, just sitting there. A lb of fat burns 1 to 3 calories a day. WOW! Can't beat that math!
That is all sorts of awesome.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:08 AM   #5  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

I have more energy, when I work out I work harder to stay on plan--don't want to "waste" that workout by eating junk!, my 'shape' is more defined (more curvy, less lumpy), It's a great way to reduce stress, I am rarely sick, I am much stronger, I enjoy it--NEVER thought I would say that!
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #6  
Recovering perfectionist

S/C/G: 250/ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Definitely more energy.

A better self-image. Even though I am still way over goal, I feel slimmer when I am exercising regularly.

I sleep better! Not because I'm exhausted from all the exercise, because some days I don't do all that much, I just generally sleep better overall.
Daffy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #7  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

I found that once I started exercising I felt empowered and in control of my body...

My sister once told me - "You will never feel bad after you exercise" And it is SO TRUE!!! I could be in the worst mood - If I work out - it's like a 180 degree mood change.

Through working out and using weights, I have changed the way my body is shaped! I carry weight in my hips. A trainer suggested working on my shoulders. This has helped balance my upper body w/ my lower body.. (I am not a power lifter by any means... Just like to have a "toned/in shape" look)

Also, with all the nuances/responsibilities/stressors that a working mother/wife has... Working out and having this outlet - keeps me balanced and very happy!!! Plus it sets a good example for my children to see living a "healthy lifestyle" is important....

Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Wow, great thread. Barbara, "I'm not eating when I'm exercising," is priceless and so, so true. It definitely gets me out of the kitchen and it just wouldn't be right to eat when lifting or doing cardio.

The other benefits are numerous: I notice that I'm a lot stronger doing daily activities, such as opening a heavy glass door or pushing a full shopping cart up a hill in a parking lot. I can also help my husband carry stuff. I sleep better at night. Instead of tossing and turning, I zonk out and stay asleep most nights. I notice that my posture is better and I feel more confident. My butt sticks out more, though, which is taking some getting used to...

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #9  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

-I feel like its jump-started my diet. When I was just watching what I ate I would lose maybe half a pound a week, now I lose at least a pound a week, sometimes even 2!
-I sleep a lot better too. I used to toss and turn a lot, now I conk out and stay that way through the night
-muscle definition! my legs still have a lot of fat on them, but they are much more shapely than before.
-when I'm running late to work I can jog from my car (I park at the bottom of a hill and work at the top of one, its probably 7 stories higher) and not feel like I'm about to have a heart attack.
-its a big confidence boost. I am doing things that I never thought I'd be capable of (ride a bike 5 miles?! I've gone 16 now!) and it makes me feel proud
-my cholesterol in November (when I was pitifully inactive) was 195 (under 200 is considered ok), last week (after 3 months of consistent exercise) it was 158!
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #10  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

1. I feel stronger
2. I stay on plan better
3. My moods are better
4. I have more energy
5. It keeps my blood sugar in check, thus allowing me to dump one of my med's.
6. It makes me feel sexy, or shall I say, I am in the mood more often.

Last edited by Diva; 03-18-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 PM   #11  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

This is so awesome to read the ways that everyone is benefitting from exercising!!! Thanks all and keep 'em comin'!!!

This really helps me to keep motivated to see others getting some great benefits that I hadn't thought of (and ones that are the same).

Last edited by Cheree; 03-18-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:39 PM   #12  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I think my list is about the same...

I have more energy
I feel so much better
It helps in my weight loss for sure
I sleep better
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:01 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

I often go to the grocery store RIGHT AFTER i work out...I find that the workout and the good mood after help me make good food choices that I wouldn't necessarily make otherwise!

And, I just like being able to do more things without worry about what people will think if they see my face get red, etc. And upping the sex drive doesn't hurt either
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #14  
Back in the Game

S/C/G: 132/125.2/120

Height: 5'6"

my benefits...i can see my body changing and i know the exercising is making a difference. i am excited to continue.
moon fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'5

I can climb trees!
OK easy ones but without this new feeling of control I would have been afraid to try ... I'm so much less clumsy now.

Oh and I typically do my cardio an hour or so before dinner and I'm waaay less hungry. I like that idea of doing it before grocery shopping =)
molly135 is offline   Reply With Quote