South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Positive Effects of SBD

Obviously, there are lots and lots of benefits of doing SB, including more energy, a more nutritious and balanced diet, weight loss, and so on. But this week, I discovered another benefit for me that I had not expected.

In the past, when I've given up fast food and fried foods for a period of time, eating them again would make me kinda sick. This week, I caved to stress, emotion, celebration, and anxiety, and I allowed myself whatever I wanted to eat for a few days. We went out to eat 3 nights in a row (the 1-year anniversary of our engagement, the 4-year anniversary of the day we met, and to celebrate a new job offer I got on Friday). I had some fried stuff the first night, but it was still al white meat chicken and was very lightly fried, and I had it with LOTS of veggies, so my stomach didn't seem too angry. The next night, I had couscous, which was likely not whole wheat, butnot horrible in the grand scheme of things. I also had cheesecake both nights, and my stomach was fine.

What really got me was that the third night, I got some potato salad off the salad bar as well as some seasoned roasted potatoes. They looked SO good, and I was so excited to be able to eat them. The thing is, I didn't care for either of them! These used to be some of my favorite foods, and now I only ate a fraction of my serving and opted instead for more black beans and seafood salad.

My tastes have changed, and for the better. This was completely unexpected. I doubt cheesecake will ever become unappealing, but at least I can feel satisfied without having potatoes anymore, and I've proven that to myself. I've also been finding it increasingly easier to ignore the white bread served at many restaurants. Who ever thought I'd get to that point? Certainly not me!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:39 AM   #2  
Determined to lose!

Hehehhe, hey jilly.... I remember the first round I did with SB... last year. The first time I tried eating pizza I got SICK!!!!! And I didn't care for it either... well, we were out of food that my son would eat here at the house and I didn't want to go out yesterday being the only day I didn't have to, so yes, I ordered pizza....WHY?????? YUCK! Lucky for me the local pizza shops that will deliver this far out, SUCK. If you know NY pizza we have awesome pizza, and the local stuff just doesn't cut it....... so I will have to find another "easy" thing to have on hand for these situations.
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:30 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Yeah, none of the junk I ate made me feel sick, but that effect would not have surprised me if it had happened since it has happened to me before. The surprising part was that I just didn't WANT it. It was weird to me

I had also gotten a salad with honey mustard dressing, which has been my favorite for many years. I couldn't eat it--the dressing was too strong

Yesterday, Jeff and I went to Panera, and I got their tomato soup. WAY to strong--I won't get that again--and tomato used to be the ONLY kind of soup I liked!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 219/215/180

Height: 5'5"

Hi Loriann,

I have a thought: there are some frozen pizzas that you can buy in the grocery that are actually reasonably healthy--I've had Amy's pizzas (organic, with whole wheat crust) and they come in lots of different flavors. My family LOVES this, even my 4 yo who is really picky. They're probably not reduced fat cheese, but then again might be a better choice than the pizza you ordered in which you ended up not liking. I've heard there's also a DiGiorno pizza called Harvest Wheat which is supposed to be a whole wheat crust. I'm still on phase 1 so I couldn't do these yet, but ?I thought I'd pass along the idea in case you find it helpful. Have a great day!
Dawn
dawnhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #5  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks for sharing Jill. I've noticed some of the same unexpected changes in tastes/desires. It makes those planned "cheat" days less of a cheat when your body is craving healthier foods. And because of this, easier to get right back at it after having a "cheat" day/meal/food item.
I've also realized that just because I have a "cheat" food, doesn't mean I have to have a whole day of off plan.

I like this message from one of the other ladies (Goddess Jessica) here at 3FC on the 100 lb. club forum:

Less than a pound a week!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A year ago, I weighed 40 pounds more than I do today.

However, when I started I thought that less than a pound a week was ridiculously slow progress. But this time, when things didn't go my way, I just continued. In the past, I just gave up because the progress wasn't fast enough and then gained whatever I had lost.

Less than a pound a week.

A year ago, if you said, "You'll lose 40 pounds this year." I would have said, "That's not fast enough."

But today, I am 40 pounds lighter. I am thinner. I am healthier.

And it wasn't because I started a diet. I just continued. When I failed, when I tripped up, when I had a birthday or a holiday, I just continued. I didn't permit myself to quit and restart. I just continued.

So my progress isn't fast. It isn't brilliant. It's not a before and after picture like you see after 6 weeks on tv. But it's progress and I'm proud of it. Less than a pound a week is just fine by me."

The words that stick in my head and have helped me are "I just continued."
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote