Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-16-2008, 07:57 AM   #1  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Question Bummed, a.k.a "what can I do until I'm healthy again?"

It finally dawned on me a few minutes ago that this is a question I could and probably should ask in here. That is, until I have the time to go see the doctor again (who, by the way, will probably consider me as crazy again, but that's another matter ).

The gist of my problem is that I came down with a lumbago yesterday. I know, I'm not even 30 yet, I should be healthy and all, but it's just not happening. The doc blames stress. Okay. The problem is that exercise IS one of my ways to lessen my stress, so if I can't move regularly enough, you can see where this is going.

So, in a nutshell:

- Is there anything I can do at the moment in terms of "exercise", apart from taking a walk? (I won't stop walking, first because I can't stand being unmoving for too long, second because if there's any way for me to lessen my risks of DVT/PE, I'll take it, and not being too sedentary is one of these ways, thank-you-very-much-annoying-genes). I mean anything that can make me move and possibly also help. At this point, I don't care at all about how many calories I can burn, I just don't want to spend my days in my room.

- More important for me... When can I resume weight lifting? (After the pain has completely gone away, that is; I suppose that "before that" would be a bad idea.)

Of course, I don't want to hurt myself again by doing something too intense, too soon. However, I also don't want to take this as an excuse to avoid the gym for weeks when in fact it wouldn't be necessary and I could resume sooner. So when I'm told "wait a few months", uhh, I seriously don't know if it's serious, or if it's people just telling me to do what they would do because they're just not into sports... sort of.

Anyone with some experience of that kind of situation?
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #2  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

What about swimming? If you can do some laps in a swimming pool, I know for me, it's a full body work out. I googled This Site and it suggests swimming, but I's ok it with your doctor first. good luck.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Why don't you see a physiotherapist to show you specific exercises to help with your lower back problem... I love Yoga and I find it's a cure all for aches and pains but you have to go at your own pace, at first it won't feel like you're doing much but you are doing a lot... Also Yoga and meditation helps relieve stress...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #4  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Kery, I'm behind on my blog reading so I don't know if you posted about this there yet (if so I'll get caught up soon), but just wanted to say get well soon!!! I'm so sorry to hear the bad news.
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Oooh swimming! I have a whole litany of lower back problems, and have good and bad days weeks months or sometimes years. I find that when it really acts up on me, swimming is the way to go.
First- it really helps with the pain. Being in water seems to take the pressure off the joints, and as long as the water isn't too cold, just floating for a little while can be pure heaven when the pain is unbearable. I'll also water jog or walk, sometimes, when no one is looking.

Also, I really notice the same results. When I was in highschool and a competetive soccer player, I sprained both my ankles pretty badly before tournament season. I had to be able to keep up the same fitness level, and actually improve to be able to keep pace with the team. I couldn't run for two + months and at the end of it, I was actually in better shape than the rest of my team, and more toned!

As for WL, for me personally, I don't lift when my back hurts. It's just not worth the risk of making it worse. I will do some exercises and stretches on the ball that I learned from my PT friends. I resume lifting when I'm "sore" but not when I'm in pain.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #6  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Aw. You folks had sold me to go to the pool, when I remembered I actually can't. (Well, I could, but I'm also the current owner of a fungs, so it wouldn't be very nice from me to contaminate the other swimmers. :|) I saw the doc today, though, and he said I should resume only when I'm pain-free for good anyway. I guess I'm stuck with walking for the time being, although I'll go on with meditation and will see if there's some "yoga for beginners" on a website, so that I can start without putting too much strain on my back.

Thanks for your answers, in any case.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote