South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #1  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

Default Basmati Rice?

Is Basmati Rice a forbidden food? I have the brown rice at home in anticipation of P2, but what about the white rice?

We're going for Indian tonight, and I'll have the usual good currys, and am wondering if I can start adding in a little carbs at the end of P1 and have a little bit of Basmati Rice.

I'll avoid the naan.... or would it be better to have the naan and not the rice?

Or none at all? And find some lentil type dish?
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #2  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

Basmati rice, 1 cup (200g) (cooked)
Calories: 205
Protein: 4.2g
Carbohydrate: 44.5g
Total Fat: 0.44g
Fiber: 0.63g
*Good source of: Iron (1.9mg), Selenium (11.8mcg), Thiamine (0.26mg), and Niacin (2.3mg)

*Foods that are an “excellent source” of a particular nutrient provide 20% or more of the Recommended Daily Value. Foods that are a “good source” of a particular nutrient provide between 10 and 20% of the Recommended Daily Value.
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #3  
it's always something

Basmati rice is on the 'avoid' list for P1. It's 'very limited' for P2, meaning once every 2 or 3 months.

There is such a thing as brown basmati which is allowed in small quantities in P2, though it's hard to find and not likely to be found in a restaurant.

Naan will be a no-no in both phases, since it's made from refined flour.

Be careful with the main dishes since they probably contain sugar and refined flours, and many dishes include coconut cream.

Good luck
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #4  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

As far as I know, the only basmati rice that would be okay for Phase 2 would be the BROWN basmati rice. Not the white rice. I am thinking both the nann and the white basmati rice would be equally bad for you. My opinion of course. Here is something I found about it also.

Brown basmati rice is sort of whole grain rice. It has the husk removed but the bran layer remains which contains lots of minerals. White basmati rice has the bran layer removed and is not whole grain.

Hope that helps.
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 302/229/140

Height: 5'11"

I've never seen Basmatii as brown rice. You can substitute brown rice or any other whole grain and it would taste good. What I would do is use hulled barely. It still has the bran on ( pearled is refined) Barely is lower GL/GI than other grains.
Spiritmagejkt is offline   Reply With Quote